Giffords to lawmakers avoiding town halls: 'Have some courage'

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), who was shot in the head at a constituent event six years ago, implored members of Congress to hold town halls — even if they're wary of angry constituents.

Being the victim of gun violence didn't stop her from holding public events, she said in a statement. Since stepping down from Congress, Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, have made many public appearances on behalf of their group Americans for Responsible Solutions, which advocates for gun safety reform.

She further noted that Ron Barber, her former district director who was also injured in the shooting, held town halls after succeeding her in Congress.

"I was shot on a Saturday morning. By Monday morning my offices were open to the public. Ron Barber — at my side that Saturday, who was shot multiple times, then elected to Congress in my stead — held town halls. It's what the people deserve in a representative," Giffords said.

On Tuesday, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) invoked the 2011 shooting that killed six people as a reason not to hold a public town hall in his district.

"Threats are nothing new to me and I have gotten my share as a felony judge. However, the House sergeant at arms advised us after former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was shot at a public appearance, that civilian attendees at Congressional public events stand the most chance of being harmed or killed — just as happened there," said Gohmert, who planned to hold tele-town halls instead.

Those comments didn't sit well with Gifford "

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/320884-giffords-to-lawmakers-avoiding-town-halls-have-some-courage

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
" Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), who was shot in the head at a constituent event six years ago, implored members of Congress to hold town halls — even if they're wary of angry constituents.

Being the victim of gun violence didn't stop her from holding public events, she said in a statement. Since stepping down from Congress, Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, have made many public appearances on behalf of their group Americans for Responsible Solutions, which advocates for gun safety reform.

She further noted that Ron Barber, her former district director who was also injured in the shooting, held town halls after succeeding her in Congress.

"I was shot on a Saturday morning. By Monday morning my offices were open to the public. Ron Barber — at my side that Saturday, who was shot multiple times, then elected to Congress in my stead — held town halls. It's what the people deserve in a representative," Giffords said.

On Tuesday, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) invoked the 2011 shooting that killed six people as a reason not to hold a public town hall in his district.

"Threats are nothing new to me and I have gotten my share as a felony judge. However, the House sergeant at arms advised us after former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords was shot at a public appearance, that civilian attendees at Congressional public events stand the most chance of being harmed or killed — just as happened there," said Gohmert, who planned to hold tele-town halls instead.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/320884-giffords-to-lawmakers-avoiding-town-halls-have-some-courage
Tick..tick..tick..the wacko left is getting more violent everyday...

SamSpade

Yeah, well few things demotivate people more than knowing you might have someone try to shoot you - or have someone ELSE get shot unintentionally because you were there.

Hijinx

Dear Ms. Gifford.

Give Steny Hoyer a call and ask when he intends to have another Townhall.
You might mention if he does that he should not bus his people in and give them all of the good seats and he might also not fill the Dais with his subordinates.
He might even be fair about who gets to ask questions.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

sounds to me like she's advocating for playing Russian roulette and because she's had her shot it's someone else's turn in front of the barrel.