Why Professors Object to Being Recorded

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If what they say regularly in class receives attention, they risk being exposed for their ignorance.

I recall students asking me whether they could record my lectures. And I remember thinking, “Why on earth would I say no?” I wanted whatever I said in a classroom to be heard by more than 50 people. “Who wouldn’t?” I wondered.

They fear having what they say exposed to the general public.

The vast majority of our colleges have become left-wing seminaries. Just as Christian seminaries exist to produce committed Christians, Western universities exist to produce committed leftists. Aside from the Christian–leftism difference, universities differ in only one respect from Christian seminaries: Christian seminaries admit their goal, whereas the universities deceive the public about theirs. Thus, in the “social sciences” — disciplines outside the natural sciences and math — a large number of college teachers inject their politics into their classrooms. And if they are recorded, the general public will become aware of just how politicized their classroom lectures are.

But there is another reason.

The professors are, in effect, saying to their students: “Listen. I can get away with this intellectually shallow, emotion-based propaganda when you are the only people who actually hear it. You aren’t wise enough to perceive it as such. But if people over 21 years of age hear it, I’m toast.” All rules governing the recording of conversations without permission should apply to a professor meeting privately with a student. But when professors stand in front of a class, they are in the public domain. Moreover, the public pays at least part of these professors’ salaries at virtually every university. We therefore have a right, and even a duty, to know what professors say publicly in classrooms.

“I want you to hear what I say in class because I’m quite confident that you can’t differentiate between instruction and indoctrination. But if what I say goes public, people who do know the difference will expose me as a propagandist.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...hate-recordings-show-political-bias-ignorance