Rudeness

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've seen this happen several times:

On my friend's FB discussing some current issue with their other friends. Friend is a lefty, and the other participants are divided between left and right, discussion is respectful and civilized. Then Lefty's adult offspring comes on and starts calling all the Righties a bunch of names and insulting them.

Hello? This is your parent's friends you're insulting and being nasty to. It's no different than your parents having a get together at their house and you stand up and start calling their guests a bunch of names.

Kicker? Not one time have I seen the parent shut the kid down. Every single time they have taken the kid's side and agreed with them.

Yeah, end of friendship, both on social media and in real life.

And? Not one single time have I seen the kid of a conservative do that - it's always the prog parents who have rude nasty kids who think nothing of jumping into their parents' discussions and start calling their friends a bunch of names.

Wishbone

Have seen it once, never experienced it first hand.

None of my friends kids were ever allowed to grow-up like that. They were taught manners and respect.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
We have had it happen in our extended and family circle.

Us too. Mostly it's the 30somethings and younger. I was hoping it would die off after the election. I even skipped having a big family get together over the holidays because I was so sick of the endless disagreements.

luvmygdaughters

Us too. Mostly it's the 30somethings and younger. I was hoping it would die off after the election. I even skipped having a big family get together over the holidays because I was so sick of the endless disagreements.

Yep, have seen and experienced it, not to the degree you're talking about, the young man was somewhat respectful, but used some colorful language to get his point across. My daughters are conservatives, they can have a conversation regarding politics without being disrespectful or rude. Its the way they were raised.

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
Yep, have seen and experienced it, not to the degree you're talking about, the young man was somewhat respectful, but used some colorful language to get his point across. My daughters are conservatives, they can have a conversation regarding politics without being disrespectful or rude. Its the way they were raised.

Same here, my conservative son against his lefty ultrafem cousins. They post, he gives his thoughts, they rant and say they weren't looking for opinions...lol Same thing that goes on here. :lol:

black dog

Free America

My family it's the late 30's through the late 40's all are well educated with multiple masters and a few Doctorate's. One cousin and his wife are both Professors at Carnegie Mellon. Crazy lefties. And all grew up in Conservative Republican households.

black dog

Free America
Did they get all twisted up in the mind while in college? It must make their parents crazy.

Yes, everyone in my family that converted went from very Conservative including one gay sister to nutso liberal left while getting higher education.

PeoplesElbow

Yes, everyone in my family that converted went from very Conservative including one gay sister to nutso liberal left while getting higher education.

I must be the only person I know to go from thinking I was a liberal at 18 to thinking that in no way was I a liberal due to what I saw and learned in college.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

On my friend's FB discussing some current issue with their other friends. Friend is a lefty, and the other participants are divided between left and right, discussion is respectful and civilized. Then Lefty's adult offspring comes on and starts calling all the Righties a bunch of names and insulting them.

Hello? This is your parent's friends you're insulting and being nasty to. It's no different than your parents having a get together at their house and you stand up and start calling their guests a bunch of names.

Kicker? Not one time have I seen the parent shut the kid down. Every single time they have taken the kid's side and agreed with them.

And? Not one single time have I seen the kid of a conservative do that - it's always the prog parents who have rude nasty kids who think nothing of jumping into their parents' discussions and start calling their friends a bunch of names.

I have seen it several times, but I haven't noticed it from my son or even some of his conservative friends. He has a couple progbot friends who have been very respectful on my FB page & in reply to ME if I've replied on their page.to something they posted. I definitely think it is the way they are raised.

Chris0nllyn

You ended a friendship because they didn't scold their kid?

I think social media offers that kid an opportunity that wouldn't normally happen face to face.

SamSpade

Of course. In my own family. And it's one of the reasons I don't post political stuff on Facebook. Every single kid who can arrive at my page unloads both barrels, and it doesn't need to be informed.

But this fits in with a narrative I've been seeing for years. And that is my liberal associates do NOT see "left" and "right". Those are just pointless labels. There's no "spectrum" of opinion.
There's "US" and there's the extremists, who are always on the right. (OFTEN, even if it's actually LEFT extremism, they call it right, because they have no idea - extremism is "right").

Hence, their view on issues is similar to your regarding the existence of phlogiston, the aether or a flat earth versus existing science. As in, they don't consider right wing opinions as worthy of any merit whatsoever.
It's not equal time for differing opinions, to them. There's the correct opinion, and there's the extremists, the right, THOSE people.

As such - they don't see the NEED to respect your opinion. To them, it's wrong. Period. It doesn't MERIT consideration. Rudeness isn't relevant.
What I don't get at all is - see, I understand freedom of expression as having the right to believe something even IF it is wrong.
People have the right - within acceptable rules - to say and think what they want, even if it's the most outrageous or stupidest thing imaginable.

I remember reading THIS years ago - http://freerepublic.com/focus/news/1372341/posts?page=51 (wish I could find the original, but I'm stuck with a copy).
They WON'T respect your opinion. They won't.

What's weird to me is, I've only ever seen this kind of thinking in one other part of society - religious extremists. They won't listen. They will shout you down. You cannot reason with them.
Only THEIR sources have any credibility. Your sources are heathen. YOU guys are sinful and hence, your opinions on issues are the consequence of character flaws.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You ended a friendship because they didn't scold their kid?

I think social media offers that kid an opportunity that wouldn't normally happen face to face.

When someone's kid calls you a bunch of names, and the parent likes it, that pretty much tells you what your "friend" thinks of you in no uncertain terms. Why would someone be friends with a person who thinks of them in derogatory terms and encourages their kid to be an ahole?

This woman I went to high school with, her kid jumped on MY FB page and started being a jerk to not only me, but to others who'd commented on the post. I didn't even know this girl, never met her, but she'd seen that her mother had commented and that's how she found the thread. She was abusive and filthy mouthed, and I finally had enough and blocked her from my page. Her mother, my former friend, had the nerve to send me a message and tell me she didn't appreciate - ready? - me violating her baby's free speech.

On my page.

So I blocked her too. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Of course. In my own family. And it's one of the reasons I don't post political stuff on Facebook. Every single kid who can arrive at my page unloads both barrels, and it doesn't need to be informed.

But this fits in with a narrative I've been seeing for years. And that is my liberal associates do NOT see "left" and "right". Those are just pointless labels. There's no "spectrum" of opinion.
There's "US" and there's the extremists, who are always on the right. (OFTEN, even if it's actually LEFT extremism, they call it right, because they have no idea - extremism is "right").

Hence, their view on issues is similar to your regarding the existence of phlogiston, the aether or a flat earth versus existing science. As in, they don't consider right wing opinions as worthy of any merit whatsoever.
It's not equal time for differing opinions, to them. There's the correct opinion, and there's the extremists, the right, THOSE people.

As such - they don't see the NEED to respect your opinion. To them, it's wrong. Period. It doesn't MERIT consideration. Rudeness isn't relevant.
What I don't get at all is - see, I understand freedom of expression as having the right to believe something even IF it is wrong.
People have the right - within acceptable rules - to say and think what they want, even if it's the most outrageous or stupidest thing imaginable.

I remember reading THIS years ago - http://freerepublic.com/focus/news/1372341/posts?page=51 (wish I could find the original, but I'm stuck with a copy).
They WON'T respect your opinion. They won't.

What's weird to me is, I've only ever seen this kind of thinking in one other part of society - religious extremists. They won't listen. They will shout you down. You cannot reason with them.
Only THEIR sources have any credibility. Your sources are heathen. YOU guys are sinful and hence, your opinions on issues are the consequence of character flaws.

Where you and I disagree is in that I think the right does it, too. And just as bad. And for the exact same reasons. The only difference is in whose oxen are being gored. We see it on here every single day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where you and I disagree is in that I think the right does it, too. And just as bad. And for the exact same reasons. The only difference is in whose oxen are being gored. We see it on here every single day.

Calling some stranger a racist/misogynist/homophobe/mansplainer/cisgender/white supremacist/blahblahblah on the internet is one thing; attacking grandma at the family dinner table is something else entirely. Decorum and respect should be the order of the day in a personal setting, and that includes on someone else's FB page.