Shep Smith Breaks Down the Differences Between CNN and Fake News: They Are ‘Not Fake News’

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Shep Smith Breaks Down the Differences Between CNN and Fake News: They Are ‘Not Fake News’

Fox’s Shepard Smith reacted to the White House’s selective media shutout today by breaking down the reasons why CNN is not “fake news,” no matter how many times President Trump says so about the network.

On Friday, the White House held a media gaggle where they decided to bar several news outlets that Trump has taken issue with in the past. This comes hours after Trump delivered a speech from the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) where he once again railed against the critical coverage he gets from the press.

Since Trump spent a great deal of his time denouncing the “fake news” media again, Smith went through all the reasons why CNN’s coverage of Trump is legitimate, and not just “made-up nonsense”:

For the report, “fake news” refers to stories that are created by entities pretended to be news organizations and based on nothing of substance. Fake news is made up nonsense delivered for financial gain. CNN’s reporting was not fake news. Its journalistics followed the same standards that other organizations, including Fox News, adhere. Senior administration officials regularly speak without attribution so that the public needs to be informed of what our government is doing off the record.

Hijinx

"Silencing" the media? How are they even trying to do that?

I don't know anyone that wants the media silenced. What I would like is having it UNBIASED.
Give it to me straight. Talking heads are BS artists I don't care what some a-wipe who has a bias has to say.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm sort of shocked how many republicans are for silencing the media. Especially the dissenting media.

"Silencing" the media? How are they even trying to do that?

:yeahthat:

Come one Chris, how exactly is 'The Media' being silenced ... is CNN off the Air, is The NYT, still publishing News Papers / Online ?

MSNBC, CBS, ABC, News Channel 8, Huff Po, NPR,

CrashTest

Smith needs to stick to reporting the news and not commenting on the news. That's for men like Maddow and Hannity.

tommyjo

:yeahthat:

Come one Chris, how exactly is 'The Media' being silenced ... is CNN off the Air, is The NYT, still publishing News Papers / Online ?

MSNBC, CBS, ABC, News Channel 8, Huff Po, NPR,

You really aren't very bright...you and the rest of the right wing moron crew. The lot of you scream about "fake news" now 24/7...never heard the term before 6 months ago...but your fake leader and fake businessman utters it and you all jump right in line like good little brainwashed soldiers. You all are more gullible than a 21 yr old virgin in a bar for the first time...

SamSpade

You really aren't very bright...you and the rest of the right wing moron crew. The lot of you scream about "fake news" now 24/7...never heard the term before 6 months ago...but your fake leader and fake businessman utters it and you all jump right in line like good little brainwashed soldiers. You all are more gullible than a 21 yr old virgin in a bar for the first time...

So to the point - how are they being "silenced"?

BTW - care to remind us all who coined the term "fake news"?

Hijinx

Well you are right 6 months ago the term wasn't heard. We just called it media lying.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm sort of shocked how many republicans are for silencing the media. Especially the dissenting media.

Wrong. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I am for holding them to some sort of journalistic standard. In fact, the calls are not for them to be shut down; they are being called on to report unbiased legitimate news. We will note that instead of doing that, they are simply spewing more bias, opinion, unsubstantiated rumor, and invective. That should lead one to believe that they don't have integrity in them at all.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Why? John McCain (McCain/Feingold) is a lion in the party. He's anti free speech and anti dissent.

They just elected a guy President who is a strong proponent of eminent domain and strengthening libel laws so that people who say mean words about others can be more readily sued for it.

Citizens United wasn't about the little guy. It was about making sure groups of rich people could continue to drown out the little guy.

The GOP, the leadership, is against Net Neutrality because a 'neutral' net is one they can do better at with power by getting their way rather than the same rules for all.

It's not a free speech party.

SamSpade

They just elected a guy President who is a strong proponent of eminent domain and strengthening libel laws so that people who say mean words about others can be more readily sued for it.

?? By definition, a libel IS a lie that damages someone - not just saying mean things. You should never be able to get away with that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
?? By definition, a libel IS a lie that damages someone - not just saying mean things. You should never be able to get away with that.

And 'damage' is subjective, agreed?

Should Donald Trump be in trouble for calling Cruz a liar? Or Marco 'little'? Should he be held libel for calling Hillary a crook? Should someone be libel for calling Trump Cheeto in Chief? For calling him a liar about his Trump U dealings? Should it be libelous to call him anti Mexican?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

No we all know fake news when we see it. six months ago it was just fake going the other way. like those employment numbers that were published with a lot of fanfare only to be quietly revised upwards three or four times to what everyone knew they should have actually been.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
And 'damage' is subjective, agreed?

Should Donald Trump be in trouble for calling Cruz a liar? Or Marco 'little'? Should he be held libel for calling Hillary a crook? Should someone be libel for calling Trump Cheeto in Chief? For calling him a liar about his Trump U dealings? Should it be libelous to call him anti Mexican?

Being a little pedantic here, but you're confusing libel with liable in a couple of spots here.

Last edited: