RIP, Movement Conservatism

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
RIP, Movement Conservatism

Not only did the movement core refuse to support Trump, many chose instead to throw their weight behind Hillary Clinton, the most repellent and corrupt American presidential candidate since Aaron Burr.

It’s not inaccurate to assert that these people represent the core of movement conservatism.

• Bill Kristol, editor in chief of the Weekly Standard, tweeted: “If you’re for Trump you functionally are for a man unfit to be president, and for the degradation of [American] conservatism.”
  • George Will wrote a column titled “If Trump is nominated GOP must keep him out of the White House” in which he stated his hopes that Trump would lose all 50 states to Hillary Clinton.
  • Tom Nichols of The Federalist, probably the keystone journal of the think-tank cons, titled his piece “I’ll Take Hillary Clinton Over Donald Trump.”
  • John Ziegler, noted conservative documentary cineaste, wrote “The Case for Sane Conservatives to Strategically Vote for Hillary Clinton to Save the GOP.”
  • Former California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman publicly expressed her support for Clinton.
  • Max Boot, longtime WSJ writer, stated “There’s no way to lie down with somebody like Trump without getting fleas,” while pledging to vote for Clinton.
  • Erick Erickson, formerly of Red State, said “It’s ‘Never Trump’ as in come hell or high water we will never vote for Trump”. (Red State was something of a sweep. Editors Dan McLaughlin and Ben Howe and contributor Leon Wolf also jumped on the bandwagon. Howe, never one to miss an opportunity, started raising funds for a film on Trump titled The Sociopath.)
  • James Kirchick wrote the Daily Beast op-ed “Hillary Clinton Is 2016’s Real Conservative -- Not Donald Trump.”
  • And we can’t forget Peter Wehner, Commentary’s last man on the ramparts, who missed no chance to disparage Trump, the same as he had done to Sarah Palin eight years earlier. "I think right now, I would say it would be better for the country if she [Hillary] won than if he won… the dangers that he poses to the country are greater than hers because I think he's just so deeply unstable.”

…and we could go on to add Congressman Richard Hanna, Mike Treiser, Craig Snyder (who started a super PAC called Republicans for Her 2016), Charles Fried, Steve Deace (correction: he emails that he voted for the Constitution Party candidatem not Hillary), Charles Sykes, and Kyle Foley, all of whom stated they’d either vote Hillary or preferred her to win.

[clip]

Just as bad is the fact that they – all of them, no exception – have essentially walked. There have been no retractions, reconsiderations, or apologies. No effort has been made to hold them to account.

[clip]

Good riddance, say many Trump supporters. But it’s not that simple. Many Trump backers, politically naïve, believe that now that Trump has been voted in, all is right with the world and nothing more need be done. The Donald will take care of it all for us.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Trump is limited by the powers of his office. He can correct some things (the Supreme Court and immigration, in particular). But there are other factors beyond his reach. One of the major problems facing the U.S. is the institutionalization of the left. The “long march through the institutions” since the 1970s has left vast sectors of American society – including entertainment, the media, the academy, the bureaucracy, and recently, the military – in the hands of the activist left. A related problem involves the relentless dumbing down of much of the country’s population, accompanied by blatant leftist propagandizing. Vast numbers of Americans – including many conservatives – believe leftist axioms as a matter of faith. (Test yourself: how many times have you used the word “capitalism”?)

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
In general, it's a good piece but one thing simply can't be left to go unchallenged; Kristol is a big gummint neo-con. He is in no way, shape or form a conservative. To put him and George Will in the same class is to completely open up conservatism to pretty much being an Episcopal; anything goes. If Trump will send troops into Syria, you'll see Kristol come around.

As for Will, he made it plain; better to support Hillary and rebuild conservatism and take advantage of how poor she would do rather than sacrifice your principles, still have bad governance AND lose to the Democrats in '20 or '24.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
In general, it's a good piece but one thing simply can't be left to go unchallenged; Kristol is a big gummint neo-con. He is in no way, shape or form a conservative. To put him and George Will in the same class is to completely open up conservatism to pretty much being an Episcopal; anything goes. If Trump will send troops into Syria, you'll see Kristol come around.

As for Will, he made it plain; better to support Hillary and rebuild conservatism and take advantage of how poor she would do rather than sacrifice your principles, still have bad governance AND lose to the Democrats in '20 or '24.

Wasn't that what we did for the previous eight years?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Conservatism" is dead. You extremists killed it with your busybody poking into people's private lives and insisting that government should be regulating our personal relationships. "We're for individual liberty...but only if you adhere to our definition of 'traditional American values'."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not he, we. We've had eight years of bottom scraping, so now we've got a more (purportedly) conservative government.

We, as in conservatives, supported Hillary for 8 years? Given the thread is about movement conservatives, I'm not following. I don't know anyone who knows so little about Trump as to think him a conservative of any kind.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
We, as in conservatives, supported Hillary for 8 years? Given the thread is about movement conservatives, I'm not following. I don't know anyone who knows so little about Trump as to think him a conservative of any kind.

Trump / Hillary
you have to call one of them conservative, who do you pick?

Hijinx

Trump wasn't elected for being a Conservative. He was elected because it was him or a criminal who has so far escaped punishment for her crimes because of her political clout. People became damned tired of watching it. And they had enough of 8 years of Obama and didn't want another 4 years just like it.

It's too bad it was trump, but si far despite all the media has done to create problems for Trump I have no great reason to say he isn't doing a good job.
He is doing what he promised as much as he can, and that is something new in politics.

Hijinx

If William Kristol is a 'movement' conservative then so is Hillary.

Name an issue Trump is to the right of what we know about Hillary.

He certainly is not as happy with abortion.
He wants to build the military Hillary hates.
He is not for open borders.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He certainly is not as happy with abortion.
He wants to build the military Hillary hates.
He is not for open borders.

Trump's is pro choice. Hillary is pro military. I'll give you the border but border control works for workers. It's not a right wing position though it is conservative. It's an issue Marx and Will would agree on though for different reasons.

Hijinx

Trump's is pro choice. Hillary is pro military. I'll give you the border but border control works for workers. It's not a right wing position though it is conservative. It's an issue Marx and Will would agree on though for different reasons.

:crazy::crazy: