$8M PAX NEX Expansion

glhs837

Power with Control

stgislander

PREMO Member
Actually on some stuff they do compete, as evidenced by the fact that my drags me there on a regular basis. No taxes to start.

I remember back in the day the Exchange was always the place to go for electronics. They were always cheaper to start with, and then add in no sales tax.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
growing up, anytime any of us kids needed something outside of a normal trip to Walmart - a laptop, sports equipment, a purse - the response was always, "We'll have to see what's at the NEX first..." :rolleyes: :lol:

growing up, anytime any of us kids needed something outside of a normal trip to Walmart - a laptop, sports equipment, a purse - the response was always, "We'll have to see what's at the NEX first..." :rolleyes: :lol:

At least for electronics, I think times have changed. If you are buying something with a fixed price (like a video game), then it's a no brainer. Or if you happen to get a good coupon. But I have found their normal prices to no longer be competitive with online shopping or sometimes even BestBuy/Walmart (even with taxes).

Still, I prefer the experience at the exchange 100% over WalMart.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't know enough about it to comment; other than to ask, 'How?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_Exchange

Unlike commissaries (military grocery stores), exchanges, for the most part, do not receive significant appropriations from the federal government and must operate on a for-profit basis. With the exception of military personnel assigned to duty with the exchange services, exchange service employees' salaries are paid from revenues generated from sales of merchandise, except for annual raises from funds appropriated by Congress. Exchanges are deemed Category C non-appropriated fund (NAF) activities, meaning they are designed to not only be self-sufficient, but generate a profit

acommondisaster

It's been years since I've been to a base Exchange. Good place for electronics at one time, don't know how/if they are able to compete with Amazon and Best Buy and Walmart. I just know that when I was pregnant, the base exchange in Homestead had custom draperies, Waterford crystal lamps but NO maternity clothing. It seemed that it was geared to the retiree, not the poor enlisted person with a small budget. I understand the need for the stores overseas, or perhaps an isolated duty station, but stateside, really? How do they compete?