Local Business Residential Contractors - Remodeling Work - Problems

lonewolfe52

Has anyone in the forums experienced problems with local residential contractors for remodeling work? We hired Chapman Construction when they bid to do an addition on house we purchased last summer. We were adding a master bedroom and bathroom. A three month job turned into seven long months and the workmanship was subpar at best. The owner was full speed ahead the first two weeks and then he took on bigger jobs and our addition got pushed to the end of the line. We experienced lack of response to phone calls, not showing up for meetings at the property, and just a very unpleasant experience. There was no pride in the workmanship, and my husband ended up fixing mistakes himself that were made by the subs and owner. I am wondering if others are experiencing the same circumstances here with contractors? We definitely will not be using that contractor again.:strangle:

Stew

Had a bathroom remodel done. Hired the contractor with the lowest bid which was much cheaper than the others. Crew worked fast, too fast, ended up having major problems afterwards (leaks, water damage...) due to their shoddy work! Hired another contractor for some kitchen remodeling work. His bid was much higher than the others but they had a good reputation. Crew worked slow, took much longer than scheduled. Was satisfied with their work but in the end felt like I was totally ripped off given the final cost.

RetiredCPO

Same thing with some of the builders in the area, many use the same contractors as a private party would hire. Our "new" house needed extensive repairs after closing, and they give you the same response, "it's built to code". Well Mr. builder, code is the least the government will allow you to get away with. We all learn from our mistakes, if you ever hear that from a builder/contractor... RUN!

Same thing with some of the builders in the area, many use the same contractors as a private party would hire. Our "new" house needed extensive repairs after closing, and they give you the same response, "it's built to code". Well Mr. builder, code is the least the government will allow you to get away with. We all learn from our mistakes, if you ever hear that from a builder/contractor... RUN!

Its hard finding a good one for sure. Bean in Callaway practically destroyed rather than improved 2 rooms in my home about 15 years ago. Couldnt cut vinyl, estimate was way off and had to hire someone else to install a shower they claimed wouldnt fit in the space. Had someone else do as described- start off strong, take on other jobs- try to blow us off and not finish... job was finished and finished well but we had to show up on his other jobs and just be annoying and border on harassing him to get him to show up at our place.

Over time and many years and references we now know better handymen and contractors thankfully.

Ive been burned too many times by crap work- its hard- but you have to find references and actually see their work before you hire many around here.