We want to believe Ryan Owens didn’t die in vain — facts dispute it

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
CNN’s Alisyn Camerota called out President Donald Trump’s claim from his joint address to Congress that the Yemen raid was a success.

“This is complicated. You can’t get past her looking up to the heavens for strength during that moment,” Camerota said about Chief Petty Officer William “Ryan” Owens’ widow. Owens was the only American casualty in the raid. “This goes to the heart of all of us that want to believe that Ryan Owens did not die in vain and will keep the country safe. They call it highly successful but there’s different reports on whether this was a highly successful raid. John McCain said no, it was not.”

Co-host Chris Cuomo noted there is nothing that brings people together more than a president standing up for veterans. “But this has some components to it that we have to talk about going forward,” he said.

Pentagon correspondent Barbara Starr explained that the military has a different definition for “success” than politicians, public servants and most Americans might have. The Pentagon did get a significant amount of intelligence from the Yemen raid. However, as of Tuesday, they’d analyzed the data and determined that it was information they already had. It was considered a success because the information was gathered.

“The military doesn’t look at loss of life as to whether or not something is a success,” Cuomo noted. “They see that as the price of these missions going into it. They don’t not take on missions because there might be a loss of life, and yet what we saw last night is this really powerful, powerful stuff that can come up in politics.

Nothing galvanizes the American people and American politicians like the military, but we have seen before where those men and women in that audience have gotten up and cheered and cheered for military and then not delivered for them.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/cnn-fact-checks-trump-on-yemen-we-want-to-believe-ryan-owens-didnt-die-in-vain-facts-dispute-it/#.WLbHGL5ZCs4.twitter

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It's nice to see CNN caring about pointless death of troops after an 8 year period of not giving a #### about them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In other news, failed former Fox and Friends co-host Alisyn Camerota desperately attempts, yet again, to appear cogent and relevant....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
These articles, the people who spew them, and nhboy posting them....all exemplify what POS they are...

Agree.

People, I'm just sayin' - you all talk about RINOs and such, but John McCain IS the Republican Party. He is one of their longtime veterans and a party leader. And I'll say it again: if you do not subscribe to McCain's ideology and petty combativeness, it is YOU that's the RINO, not him. That is specifically why I changed my voter registration and dumped the party - specifically it was because a party that would tap McCain to be their nominee is not a party I want to be associated with.

Hijinx

Thousands have died in service to this country.
We cannot go back and look at each death and determine whether or not each one died in a successful mission.
This man did what he was ordered to do. He did it for his country and he is a brave man and a hero.
This is what makes men heroes, that they did their best for God and Country.
Not whether or not the mission was successful.

PsyOps

Pixelated
“The military doesn’t look at loss of life as to whether or not something is a success,” Cuomo noted. “They see that as the price of these missions going into it. They don’t not take on missions because there might be a loss of life, and yet what we saw last night is this really powerful, powerful stuff that can come up in politics.

Nothing galvanizes the American people and American politicians like the military, but we have seen before where those men and women in that audience have gotten up and cheered and cheered for military and then not delivered for them.”

Someone help me here. What does this even mean? This obviously was written by someone who never served. Our military - especially the marines and army - VOLUNTEER knowing full-well the consequences. Loss of life is an accepted consequence among them. And they know far more than any pundit or political mouthpiece what their loss means.

So yes, Barbara Starr, the military does have a different definition of success than you ignorant and elitist blabbermouths who think you know the ins-and-outs of military mentality. The fact that comes as a surprise anyone shows the level of ignorance civilians have for the life of our military.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Thousands have died in service to this country.
We cannot go back and look at each death and determine whether or not each one died in a successful mission.
This man did what he was ordered to do. He did it for his country and he is a brave man and a hero.
This is what makes men heroes, that they did their best for God and Country.
Not whether or not the mission was successful.

That's right and his blood is on OUR hands, left and right, D and R and all points in between. Our people do this for us and rely on us to make damn sure our politicians send them in harms way for some damn good reasons. In that sense, we owe a debt we can never repay for the 5,000 some lives WE wasted this past 14 years and some 50,000 other bodies WE wrecked in pursuit of what looks more and more like nothing more than an ongoing exercise in violence.

Trump was right, if on nothing else, that we should win wars or NOT fight them. That we have come to be losers is on us. We, the people.

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's right and his blood is on OUR hands, left and right, D and R and all points in between. Our people do this for us and rely on us to make damn sure our politicians send them in harms way for some damn good reasons. In that sense, we owe a debt we can never repay for the 5,000 some lives WE wasted this past 14 years and some 50,000 other bodies WE wrecked in pursuit of what looks more and more like nothing more than an ongoing exercise in violence.

Trump was right, if on nothing else, that we should win wars or NOT fight them. That we have come to be losers is on us. We, the people.

Please... PLEASE don't forget that our military are volunteers. They go in knowing completely what they are getting into and willing accept it. We do them more a disservice by assuming they are too stupid to understand the world in which they volunteered to battle.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Please... PLEASE don't forget that our military are volunteers. They go in knowing completely what they are getting into and willing accept it. We do them more a disservice by assuming they are too stupid to understand the world in which they volunteered to battle.

Dude! That's the whole point! They VOLUNTEER. They put themselves, willingly, in OUR hands! W can NOT say "Well, kiddo, sorry about the legs but that's what you get for trusting that the people and the flag you've sworn to defend are paying much attention to what we're asking you to do."

PsyOps

Pixelated
Dude! That's the whole point! They VOLUNTEER. They put themselves, willingly, in OUR hands! W can NOT say "Well, kiddo, sorry about the legs but that's what you get for trusting that the people and the flag you've sworn to defend are paying much attention to what we're asking you to do."

I challenge you to go to any VA or military hospital and talk to these men and women. Just about every one of them will say they will do it all over again; wouldn't change a thing. They are proud of what they did and play no politics into it. They hold no animosity towards Bush, Obama, or Trump for their demise. They knew it could happen and accept it. So, spin the blame in any direction you want, they don't shake their accusatory fingers and any of us for being where they are. Again, you insult them for thinking they don't completely understand their situation.

Hijinx

Six brave men died searching for Bowe Bergdahl, a traitor who went over to the enemy.
Obama released traded 5 terrorists to get him back.

6 brave men dead and this traitor home free.

And these Democrat Mother truckers want me to condemn Trump for allowing a plan made by the Pentagon before Trump came into office to be played out.
A Plan Trump had no part in except to say go ahead with it.
Should it be investigated? Probably. More to show the Pentagon's bad planning than to show that a new President made a mistake in OK ing it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Here is the author's (Sarrah Burris) Facebook page. It will give you an idea of her political slant and mentality we're dealing with. Wanna talk about low-information?

NO, I don't want to talk about Low information voters. In this day and age, people choose to be low information. It is SOOO easy to know what is going on. The only reason people are low information is out of willful ignorance or an intellectual disability.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I challenge you to go to any VA or military hospital and talk to these men and women. Just about every one of them will say they will do it all over again; wouldn't change a thing. They are proud of what they did and play no politics into it. They hold no animosity towards Bush, Obama, or Trump for their demise. They knew it could happen and accept it. So, spin the blame in any direction you want, they don't shake their accusatory fingers and any of us for being where they are. Again, you insult them for thinking they don't completely understand their situation.

As one who served, I don't think that is what Larry is saying at all. We all know that they are all willing put themselves in harms way, sometimes paying the ultimate price, when we (the govt) says go. I understand Larry to be saying the we (the people) need to make sure that when we (the govt) says go, it is for the right reasons.

PsyOps

Pixelated
As one who served, I don't think that is what Larry is saying at all. We all know that they are all willing put themselves in harms way, sometimes paying the ultimate price, when we (the govt) says go. I understand Larry to be saying the we (the people) need to make sure that when we (the govt) says go, it is for the right reasons.

And who gets to decide those 'right reasons'? Mission Owens died in, was it for the wrong reasons? If he hadn't died, we wouldn't even be talking about the mission in terms of right or wrong reasons.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

:buddies:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

:yay:

wrote a blank check to the Gov. - just make it count for something

glhs837

Power with Control
the military has a different definition for “success” than politicians, public servants and most Americans might have.

First, I object strenuously to saying that the definition of success that most Americans have has any remote relation to the definition of success that politicians have. Which is overwhelmingly "Did this serve towards getting me reelected?".