Trump’s Use of Navy SEAL’s Wife Highlights All the Key Ingredients of U.S. War Propaganda

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" During his Tuesday night address to the U.S. Congress, President Trump paid tribute to Ryan Owens, the Navy SEAL killed in the January commando raid in Yemen that Trump ordered. As he did so, television cameras focused for almost four full minutes on Owens’ grieving wife, Carryn, as she wept and applauded while sitting next to and being periodically touched by Trump’s glamorous daughter, Ivanka. The entire chamber stood together in sustained applause, with Trump interjecting scripted, lyrical expressions of support and gratitude for her husband’s sacrifice.

It was, as intended, an obviously powerful TV moment. Independent of the political intent behind it, any well-functioning human being would feel great empathy watching a grieving spouse mourning and struggling to emotionally cope with the recent, sudden death of her partner. The majestic setting of the U.S. Congress, solemnly presided over by the U.S. President, vested the moment with political gravity.

Media commentators predictably gushed that this was the moment Trump became “presidential.” Meanwhile, the U.S. media’s most reliable partisan warriors, horrified that the moment might benefit Trump, instantly accused him of exploiting these emotions, and exploiting Carryn Owens herself, for his own political benefit.

While there is certainly truth in their claim that Trump’s use of the suffering of soldiers is politically opportunistic, even exploitative, this tactic was hardly one Trump pioneered. In fact, it is completely standard for U.S. presidents. Though Trump’s attackers did not mention it, Obama often included tales of solider sacrifice, death and suffering in his political speeches – including when he devoted four highly emotional minutes in his 2014 State of the Union address to narrating the story of, and paying emotional tribute to, Sgt. Cory Remsburg, who was severely wounded by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan:

George W. Bush also hauled soldiers wounded in his wars before cameras during his speeches, such as his 2007 State of the Union address where he paid tribute to Sgt. Tommy Rieman, wounded in Iraq.

There are reasons presidents routinely use the suffering and deaths of U.S soldiers and their families as political props. The way in which these emotions are exploited powerfully highlight important aspects of war propaganda generally, and specifically how the endless, 15-year-old War on Terror is sustained.

https://theintercept.com/2017/03/01/trumps-use-of-navy-seals-wife-highlights-all-the-key-ingredients-of-u-s-war-propaganda/

SamSpade

It's nice to see the press to begin to notice propaganda again after a nice, long 8 year nap.

No kidding - shall I roll out a list of events where the Democrats typically roll out victims for photo ops and sympathy - only to ditch them after their purpose is served?

Coulter has written a number of columns about this practice - bring out a victim of the issue you're discussing, and no one will dare insult or react.
They did this last year with the Khans against Trump last year, but it happens about once every month.

I didn't watch last night - did the Democrats invite more "victims" to the event?

Toxick

Splat
" During his Tuesday
specifically how the endless, 15-year-old War on Terror is sustained.

original.jpg

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I didn't watch last night - did the Democrats invite more "victims" to the event?

First, I would like to thank you for setting up that one on the T for me and stepping back so I can take a full cut at it.

Ready?

"...did the Democrats invite more "victims" to the event?"

Yes. They brought each other.

:diva:

stgislander

PREMO Member
No kidding - shall I roll out a list of events where the Democrats typically roll out victims for photo ops and sympathy - only to ditch them after their purpose is served?

Coulter has written a number of columns about this practice - bring out a victim of the issue you're discussing, and no one will dare insult or react.
They did this last year with the Khans against Trump last year, but it happens about once every month.

Steny did.

Hijinx

I saw a lot of victims dressed in white.
Victims of being rich fat cat Representatives who got elected and sit their fat rich asses in Congress and cry about how badly they are treated.

PsyOps

Pixelated
A two minute long standing O for Carryn Owens and her hero husband; everyone in the place standing and applauding in her and his honor, and this is propaganda?

Well, boy - you degenerate unAmerican fool - if this is propaganda, then it's the kind of propaganda we need more of. Lord knows it won't shut you up with your brand of propaganda.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Was this propaganda?

[video=youtube;AwOTMvcAVvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOTMvcAVvo[/video]

Midnightrider

A two minute long standing O for Carryn Owens and her hero husband; everyone in the place standing and applauding in her and his honor, and this is propaganda?

Well, boy - you degenerate unAmerican fool - if this is propaganda, then it's the kind of propaganda we need more of. Lord knows it won't shut you up with your brand of propaganda.

Was this propaganda?

[video=youtube;AwOTMvcAVvo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwOTMvcAVvo[/video]
to call it propaganda would be a little over the top. But it is politicizing the death of an American solider. the last several presidents have done it and IMO it was wrong for all of them to do so.

PsyOps

Pixelated
to call it propaganda would be a little over the top. But it is politicizing the death of an American solider. the last several presidents have done it and IMO it was wrong for all of them to do so.

If the family member or service member felt they were being used and politicized, they would refuse to be there.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If the family member or service member felt they were being used and politicized, they would refuse to be there.

A grieving wife, emotions raw, suffering the worst possible loss is going to be of sound mind after a couple of weeks in terms of a request by the President of the United States? So, what of the dad? Is he still insisting on answers?

littlelady

God bless the USA
You are so brainwashed, nh. Which flavor kool-aid do you prefer? To bash Mrs. Owens is about deplorable as it gets. You must love Rosie and Whoopie. Why don't you direct your attention toward them? They are insane; not to mention Ashley J. and Madonna. I think Hillary was wrong about which Americans are deplorable. Really, really sad. I feel sorry for you. And, I think if the Dems push this too far, they may push some buttons they didn't mean to push. Let's talk about Hillary's plastic 'reset' button, and all the shenanigans that the Clintons and Obama have gotten away with, shall we? It is so obvious what the Dems are trying to do. Treason and sedition, anyone?

SamSpade

ah but the SIX times Democrats had Gold Star Families highlighted were what ?

Has it been only six? I swear they trot out a "victim" every month.

Like anyone in politics, they do this to gather sympathy for their cause. A victim cannot be assailed. It's gauche and repulsive to insult someone who is grieving.

Unless you're liberal and opposed to someone on the right - then you can insult someone who's lost a loved one.

Because, you know, your political CAUSE is more important than simple basic humanity.