Republicans Hide New Obamacare Draft Under Shroud of Secrecy

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" House Republican leaders have a new version of their major Obamacare repeal and replacement bill. They just don’t want you to see it.

The document is being treated a bit like a top-secret surveillance intercept. It is expected to be available to members and staffers on the House and Energy Commerce panel starting Thursday, but only in a dedicated reading room, one Republican lawmaker and a committee aide said. Nobody will be given copies to take with them.

The unusual secrecy is a reflection of the sensitivity -- and the stakes -- surrounding the GOP effort to rewrite the Affordable Care Act, a top priority of President Donald Trump, who has yet to offer his own plan.

Republican leaders are trying to avoid a repeat of what happened last time. When an outdated draft leaked last week, it was quickly panned by conservatives.

“Am I for Obamacare repeal? The answer is yes,” Representative Mark Meadows of North Carolina, head of a conservative wing known as the Freedom Caucus, said Tuesday. “Am I for this plan? The answer is no.” Representative Mark Walker of North Carolina, who chairs the 170-member Republican Study Committee, also said he couldn’t support the leaked draft and won’t recommend his colleagues do so, either.

Republicans members have stalled so far on their efforts to find a path forward, and Trump’s address Tuesday night to a joint session of Congress didn’t offer new details.

With this latest draft, leaders are taking additional steps to make sure it doesn’t leak prematurely before some members have signed onto it.

“The draft of it is going to be available tomorrow for those of us on the health subcommittee to start pouring through,” said Representative Chris Collins of New York, a Trump ally and member of the health subcommittee of Energy and Commerce. “Unfortunately for you, we’re making sure it won’t be leaked.” "

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-01/republicans-hide-latest-obamacare-draft-under-shroud-of-secrecy

tommyjo

They just keep saying they are because....?

If you were paying attention, you would notice that the wording from the Rs is changing..."repeal and replace" is now "repair"...

After 7 years of b!tching, the Rs still have no plan to put forward. Certainly Mr. Trump doesn't...for he is the ONLY individual in the entire freaking universe who didn't know that solving the health care problem is hard. Poor...poor...Donald.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If you were paying attention, you would notice that the wording from the Rs is changing..."repeal and replace" is now "repair"...

After 7 years of b!tching, the Rs still have no plan to put forward. Certainly Mr. Trump doesn't...for he is the ONLY individual in the entire freaking universe who didn't know that solving the health care problem is hard. Poor...poor...Donald.

Nope, still hearing repeal and replace. Those voices in your head have led you astray again.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Sorry, droopy drawers. If you had been paying the slightest attention you would have known that no less than SEVEN different replacement plans have been put forward since Barry's debacle passed.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What?..they going to just sit on their hands for another year or so until the final collapse?

Look at it from the perspective of the insurance companies it was supposed to wipe out. Step by step, the market is returning to no choice, or few. That's what we're hearing, less and less choice. That's the goal if you're a big insurer and the market is moving, or collapsing, your way. Trump did say the one thing that would help; end the state by state monopolies but if we're down to just a couple major players, that's not going to make any more difference than when we had three major networks or three major automakers. We like our monopolies or, as close as possible to it. Major brands. That's where I think it's going.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
no its not, its going broke .... how many companies have dropped out :shrug:

my rates go UP EVERY YEAR

The question, as I understood, it was;
They just keep saying they are because....?

I took the 'they' as meaning Republicans. Thus, 'they' Republican politicians who need to win elections keep saying they will repeal and replace it because saying it keeps working, keeps getting them re-elected.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The question, as I understood, it was;

I took the 'they' as meaning Republicans. Thus, 'they' Republican politicians who need to win elections keep saying they will repeal and replace it because saying it keeps working, keeps getting them re-elected.

And your assertion that they're not for it, in spite of their claims, comes from...?
just slow walk me through it because from my perspective it looks like you just say crazy things to get a rise out of people.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Rand Paul has come out and said that he and other conservatives will not vote for the Ryan plan if it is not a true "Repeal and Replace" plan.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And your assertion that they're not for it, in spite of their claims, comes from...?
just slow walk me through it because from my perspective it looks like you just say crazy things to get a rise out of people.

You perspective is in need of a tune up.

The GOP ran on and took back a lot of seats in '10 on REPEALING the ACA. Not replacing it. Not fixing it. Repealing it.

They got the Senate back in '14, same issue.

Trump said something along the lines of day 1 it would be gone.

Since then, :shrug: Maybe next election? Even some of their own are saying just send up the bill Obama veto'd.

:crickets:

Now, I don't know what your perspective calls all of that but, I call it pretty clear indication that they ain't a gonna do it. Now, we hear repair and fix.

They could end the mandate today and not cost ONE person their insurance. People could then CHOOSE to stop or not.

I resent the implication that I say stuff to get a rise. That I also get a rise has nothing to do with the considered points I make. There are plenty of fart and run artists around here. That was, is not and never will be me. I give reasons, I make argument. That some people don't like the smell is fine but it's lazy thinking to then say I just do it for effect. That's bull####. Total 100% bull####.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

The GOP ran on and took back a lot of seats in '10 on REPEALING the ACA. Not replacing it. Not fixing it. Repealing it.

Since then, :shrug: Maybe next election? Even some of their own are saying just send up the bill Obama veto'd.

Now, I don't know what your perspective calls all of that but, I call it pretty clear indication that they ain't a gonna do it. Now, we hear repair and fix.

They could end the mandate today and not cost ONE person their insurance. People could then CHOOSE to stop or not.

I resent the implication that I say stuff to get a rise. That I also get a rise has nothing to do with the considered points I make. There are plenty of fart and run artists around here. That was, is not and never will be me. I give reasons, I make argument. That some people don't like the smell is fine but it's lazy thinking to then say I just do it for effect. That's bull####. Total 100% bull####.

you and TJ are the only ones I'm hearing repair, every story I read still says repeal and replace.

PJay

Correct. They promised to Repeal. Once again they are ignoring what the majority wants.

Repeal it NOW!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
" House Republican leaders have a new version of their major Obamacare repeal and replacement bill. They just don’t want you to see it.

The document is being treated a bit like a top-secret surveillance intercept. It is expected to be available to members and staffers on the House and Energy Commerce panel starting Thursday, but only in a dedicated reading room, one Republican lawmaker and a committee aide said. Nobody will be given copies to take with them.

The unusual secrecy is a reflection of the sensitivity -- and the stakes -- surrounding the GOP effort to rewrite the Affordable Care Act, a top priority of President Donald Trump, who has yet to offer his own plan.

Republican leaders are trying to avoid a repeat of what happened last time. When an outdated draft leaked last week, it was quickly panned by conservatives.

“Am I for Obamacare repeal? The answer is yes,” Representative Mark Meadows of North Carolina, head of a conservative wing known as the Freedom Caucus, said Tuesday. “Am I for this plan? The answer is no.” Representative Mark Walker of North Carolina, who chairs the 170-member Republican Study Committee, also said he couldn’t support the leaked draft and won’t recommend his colleagues do so, either.

Republicans members have stalled so far on their efforts to find a path forward, and Trump’s address Tuesday night to a joint session of Congress didn’t offer new details.

With this latest draft, leaders are taking additional steps to make sure it doesn’t leak prematurely before some members have signed onto it.

“The draft of it is going to be available tomorrow for those of us on the health subcommittee to start pouring through,” said Representative Chris Collins of New York, a Trump ally and member of the health subcommittee of Energy and Commerce. “Unfortunately for you, we’re making sure it won’t be leaked.” "

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-01/republicans-hide-latest-obamacare-draft-under-shroud-of-secrecy

Pass it, then you can see what's in it..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My guess, working on the replacement so it can go in as a single package.

That's fine. It's also not what they ran on and not what they won on in taking back first the House and then not doing it, the Senate and then not doing it and now the WH and still working on it. As I say, they could repeal the mandate, the ONE part everyone disproves of, not ONE person would lose coverage and THEN work in whatever the new plan is.

Keep hope alive. You could be right.