Driver's Ed Orientation

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Oldest son has to attend the orientation tonight. Does it really last three hours? Husband is not happy about having to be there until 9pm. :lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Yep! At least, it did for us.

Where are they signed up for it? It's important to be there (for the whole thing) - they do give you a lot of good information. :yay:

We're using Moore's Driving Academy for #2 son. Used them for #1 son as well. No complaints. Call them, sign them up, go on day 1 20 minutes early, do 5 minutes of paperwork, stand in line for 10 minutes, write a check, give them the paperwork and leave the boy behind, come back at 8:55 to get him. repeat daily for 2 weeks. Done.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We're using Moore's Driving Academy for #2 son. Used them for #1 son as well. No complaints. Call them, sign them up, go on day 1 20 minutes early, do 5 minutes of paperwork, stand in line for 10 minutes, write a check, give them the paperwork and leave the boy behind, come back at 8:55 to get him. repeat daily for 2 weeks. Done.

Just the orientation tonight is in Prince Frederick. The actual classes and driving is done at his school from 2:30-3:15pm.

glhs837

Power with Control
I do like the idea behind parents of new drivers attending that first class. It's important to know what they are teaching your kids, so you can either reinforce or not as you agree with them. We used CSM for the daughter, and I was surprised at a lot of stuff, it was far more forward thinking and more instructive of driving dynamics and the mindset behind good driving than I expected it to be. Still not pushing quite as proactive a driving mindset as I teach, but that's to be expected.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R

Have they scheduled the driving part yet? or is that after the class is over? I'm not sure if it's this drivers ed or the other one or both but I've heard lots of complaints about the kids not getting the driving part in until weeks to a couple of months after class ended. Very little communication from them also.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Oldest son has to attend the orientation tonight. Does it really last three hours? Husband is not happy about having to be there until 9pm. :lol:

We used CSM, Leonardtown. Highly recommend it! That night you will also pick the days/times for the driving portion. They usually have everyone's required driving hours done within a week or two of class ending.

catlingirl

Even someone over 20 who is getting their license for the first time has to have a driver with them in orientation through the whole thing. Seems kind of weird to me but it is what it is.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I do like the idea behind parents of new drivers attending that first class. It's important to know what they are teaching your kids, so you can either reinforce or not as you agree with them. We used CSM for the daughter, and I was surprised at a lot of stuff, it was far more forward thinking and more instructive of driving dynamics and the mindset behind good driving than I expected it to be. Still not pushing quite as proactive a driving mindset as I teach, but that's to be expected.

Thing 2 took it there, as well. I agree with what you said here. I also know at least 2 instructors, although they did not have my son's class.

CSM has a very good program, and I highly recommend them. Also, Thing2's on-the-road instructor(s) gave his parental unit driver (that would be moi) very high marks for passing on/modeling good driving habits to him. :biggrin:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
They wasted no time getting kids signed up for the driving part. Son goes this weekend and next weekend and he'll be all set (at least on that part!).

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Son can finally drive solo!! Passed the driving test this morning. The first place he gets to drive??? Work! :lol:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Son can finally drive solo!! Passed the driving test this morning. The first place he gets to drive??? Work! :lol:

:dye: Congrats to him. (and you too). My daughter loved driving, at first. Now she's like meh. I love being able to ask her to pick up her sister or run to Food Lion :)

:dye: Congrats to him. (and you too). My daughter loved driving, at first. Now she's like meh.

To some, it's a chore. I have always enjoyed driving all kinds of go-buggies, and always will. I'm going to be one of those very old crotchety drivers who you can't get the keys from.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
:dye: Congrats to him. (and you too). My daughter loved driving, at first. Now she's like meh. I love being able to ask her to pick up her sister or run to Food Lion :)

That is what I'm looking forward to the most. Having him run errands for me so I don't have to stop on the way home.

glhs837

Power with Control

Does she have something fun to drive? And fun doesnt have to mean fast. Girls forst two cars were a 91 Geo Storm Gsi and then a Toyota Corrola GT. Now she drives a 2007 Honda Fit. Five speeds and good handling make for fun driving.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Does she have something fun to drive? And fun doesnt have to mean fast. Girls forst two cars were a 91 Geo Storm Gsi and then a Toyota Corrola GT. Now she drives a 2007 Honda Fit. Five speeds and good handling make for fun driving.

She has a 2007 Honda Civic, 4 door, automatic, power moonroof, after market stereo. She loves her car. She's just lazy, lol.