The Perjury Allegation against Jeff Sessions Is Meritless

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Perjury Allegation against Jeff Sessions Is Meritless

Perjury is not inaccuracy. It must be willfully false testimony. Willfulness is the criminal law’s most demanding mens rea (state of mind) requirement. Prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the speaker knowingly, voluntarily, and intentionally — not by accident, misunderstanding, or confusion — said something that was untrue, with a specific purpose to disobey or disregard the law. Therefore, when there is an allegation of perjury, the alleged false statements must be considered in context. Any ambiguity is construed in favor of innocence. If there is potential misunderstanding, the lack of clarity is deemed the fault of the questioner, not the accused.

[clip]

Senator Franken patently framed this line of inquiry in the context of Russian espionage against the Trump campaign, drawn from CNN’s report of a salacious, discredited, uncorroborated dossier. It claimed that the Russians had acquired compromising personal and financial information about Donald Trump. With that premise, Franken added the dossier’s claim that “there was a continuing exchange of information between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government.” The point that Franken was clearly driving at was that Sessions, having supported Trump and been a Trump-campaign surrogate, should recuse himself as attorney general from any investigation probing communications between the Trump campaign and Russian officials.

In that context, Sessions volunteered that he was not aware of “those activities” — clearly meaning the activities outlined in the dossier. He then appeared to discount the claim that he was a Trump-campaign “surrogate.” To be sure, “surrogate” is not so much a formal position as a blurry description, often offered by persons other than the so-called surrogate, of someone who supports a candidate and speaks on the candidate’s behalf. In an incomplete thought (which one often gets in witness testimony), Sessions appeared to quibble with the notion that he was a formal “surrogate” as opposed to someone who was occasionally referred to as one. It seems apparent that he was distancing himself from Franken’s insinuation about Trump surrogates colluding with Russians. At that point, Sessions abruptly cut himself off and summarily said he “did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.”

Kev_Russell

Apparently, Sessions saw Kislyak, in addition to dozens of other ambassadors

Yes, yes, yes. You slack-jawed mouth breathers can become easily distracted by this repeated notion.

The question you need to be asking is how many other SASC members met with Kislyak?

I'll wait while you go dig that up.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And when this all blows over .....I wonder what will set the left's hair on fire next.

I wonder what Kev Bacon's next forum name will be.

Hijinx

Yes, yes, yes. You slack-jawed mouth breathers can become easily distracted by this repeated notion.

The question you need to be asking is how many other SASC members met with Kislyak?

I'll wait while you go dig that up.

You dig it up. Nobody else gives a flying #### for your stupid hate against Trump and using BS to try to get at him.

tommyjo

Amazing how two faced you bad ass law and order types are:

You want to ride around St George's Island because roving gangs of armed Muslims MIGHT...just MIGHT decide to lay siege to you trailer house. Then when real trouble erupts (like in Dallas or Washington state) all you 2nd amendment types cower in fear or run.

For about a year, all you do is scream about the RULE OF LAW!! Yet, here we are, in CLEAR CUT case of Mr. Sessions who, at worst, lied WHILE UNDER OATH, or , at best, failed to tell the truth WHILE UNDER OATH. To add insult to the RULE OF LAW, Mr. Sessions was being interviewed for the position of TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER of the United States. To make it even worse, and the point you morons continue to ignore: he wasn't ask about HIS contact with Russians...hevolunteered that info and then later reinforced it in writing.

So you law and order, RULE OF LAW types really don't give much of a sh!t about either do you? You are so blinded by your party loyalty....

Hijinx

Amazing how two faced you bad ass law and order types are:

You want to ride around St George's Island because roving gangs of armed Muslims MIGHT...just MIGHT decide to lay siege to you trailer house. Then when real trouble erupts (like in Dallas or Washington state) all you 2nd amendment types cower in fear or run.

For about a year, all you do is scream about the RULE OF LAW!! Yet, here we are, in CLEAR CUT case of Mr. Sessions who, at worst, lied WHILE UNDER OATH, or , at best, failed to tell the truth WHILE UNDER OATH. To add insult to the RULE OF LAW, Mr. Sessions was being interviewed for the position of TOP LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER of the United States. To make it even worse, and the point you morons continue to ignore: he wasn't ask about HIS contact with Russians...hevolunteered that info and then later reinforced it in writing.

So you law and order, RULE OF LAW types really don't give much of a sh!t about either do you? You are so blinded by your party loyalty....

As always you comment is amusing and filled with nothing but your own ignorance.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yet, here we are, in CLEAR CUT case of Mr. Sessions who, at worst, lied WHILE UNDER OATH, or , at best, failed to tell the truth WHILE UNDER OATH.

a case of Al Franken asking a vague question ...

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...-meritless-al-franken-congressional-testimony

Senator Franken patently framed this line of inquiry in the context of Russian espionage against the Trump campaign, drawn from CNN’s report of a salacious, discredited, uncorroborated dossier. It claimed that the Russians had acquired compromising personal and financial information about Donald Trump. With that premise, Franken added the dossier’s claim that “there was a continuing exchange of information between Trump surrogates and intermediaries for the Russian government.” The point that Franken was clearly driving at was that Sessions, having supported Trump and been a Trump-campaign surrogate, should recuse himself as attorney general from any investigation probing communications between the Trump campaign and Russian officials.

In that context, Sessions volunteered that he was not aware of “those activities” — clearly meaning the activities outlined in the dossier. He then appeared to discount the claim that he was a Trump-campaign “surrogate.” To be sure, “surrogate” is not so much a formal position as a blurry description, often offered by persons other than the so-called surrogate, of someone who supports a candidate and speaks on the candidate’s behalf. In an incomplete thought (which one often gets in witness testimony), Sessions appeared to quibble with the notion that he was a formal “surrogate” as opposed to someone who was occasionally referred to as one. It seems apparent that he was distancing himself from Franken’s insinuation about Trump surrogates colluding with Russians. At that point, Sessions abruptly cut himself off and summarily said he “did not have communications with the Russians, and I’m unable to comment on it.”

SamSpade

Yet, here we are, in CLEAR CUT case of Mr. Sessions who, at worst, lied WHILE UNDER OATH, or , at best, failed to tell the truth WHILE UNDER OATH. .

Oh please....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...skill-accused-lying-attack-sessions/98630572/

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/0...n-for-meeting-with-russian-diplomats-in-2015/

Really? THIS is the hill you want to die on?

This is freakin' word games but go ahead - spin your damned wheels on trying to find a "Russian connection".
Can't be any less funny than HILLARY's connections with them.

Hijinx

Oh please....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...skill-accused-lying-attack-sessions/98630572/

http://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2017/0...n-for-meeting-with-russian-diplomats-in-2015/

Really? THIS is the hill you want to die on?

This is freakin' word games but go ahead - spin your damned wheels on trying to find a "Russian connection".
Can't be any less funny than HILLARY's connections with them.

This is a person who listened to Hillary perjure herself over and over with her "I cannot remember" lies, and loved every minute of it.
Hypocrite TJ.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You want to ride around St George's Island because roving gangs of armed Muslims MIGHT...just MIGHT decide to lay siege to you trailer house. T

Hmm. First I've heard of that. Should I be keeping any eye out? Weird too, because amongst all the fancy houses on expensive waterfront lots, there are only maybe two trailer homes on the entire island. Pretty easy to keep an eye on them.

Stop by some time and I'll show ya around. We can hunt Muslims together.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Hmm. First I've heard of that. Should I be keeping any eye out? Weird too, because amongst all the fancy houses on expensive waterfront lots, there are only maybe two trailer homes on the entire island. Pretty easy to keep an eye on them.

Stop by some time and I'll show ya around. We can hunt Muslims together.

I heard TJ was a Muslim.