Got Heart Transplant?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Anybody out there ever had a heart transplantation, or know anyone who has? My human mortality is staring me in the face, as I am undergoing testing and evaluation for one at this time. Just got out of Tampa General Hospital last night, and the team there is putting me through the motions to get on their list. TGH is the leading heart transplant facility in Fl, and one of the leaders nationwide in both number of procedures and survival/longevity rates, So I will be in good hands.

Looking for any feedback or experiences to try and wrap my mind around it.

Thanks.

hitchicken

This is about a friend who had to have a heart transplant a few years back. He is very much alive and doing well. That's the good news.

He was very fit before his heart failed and he got his transplant just in time. His fitness was one of the reasons it was felt he would be a successful patient and a good candidate. Post transplant, his biggest struggle was with the extreme drug regiment to prevent organ rejection. It made him sick.. constantly. He became somewhat weak and tired easily. He lost weight. He napped frequently. He also maintained a moderate exercise regiment.

If you asked him about his biggest hurtle, it was the constant hassle of feeling 'bad' every day and knowing the next day wouldn't be much better (but he is getting better very slowly).
It's the drugs. It really, really drags on him. Healing has taken a long time. He has the loving support of his wife. He has his deep abiding religious faith which he has always had even before his heart problems. He also has a strong character and tremendous inner strength. It takes that to keep going from one day to the next... to keep from giving up when you're frustrated about not feeling 'great'.

I wish you the best. Other than this one friend, I know no one else with a heart transplant. I can't even tell you if his experiences are typical or that they are going to be yours. I can only wish you a successful operation, speedy recovery and long life. Best. The Hitchicken.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
This is about a friend who had to have a heart transplant a few years back. He is very much alive and doing well. That's the good news.

He was very fit before his heart failed and he got his transplant just in time. His fitness was one of the reasons it was felt he would be a successful patient and a good candidate. Post transplant, his biggest struggle was with the extreme drug regiment to prevent organ rejection. It made him sick.. constantly. He became somewhat weak and tired easily. He lost weight. He napped frequently. He also maintained a moderate exercise regiment.

If you asked him about his biggest hurtle, it was the constant hassle of feeling 'bad' every day and knowing the next day wouldn't be much better (but he is getting better very slowly).
It's the drugs. It really, really drags on him. Healing has taken a long time. He has the loving support of his wife. He has his deep abiding religious faith which he has always had even before his heart problems. He also has a strong character and tremendous inner strength. It takes that to keep going from one day to the next... to keep from giving up when you're frustrated about not feeling 'great'.

I wish you the best. Other than this one friend, I know no one else with a heart transplant. I can't even tell you if his experiences are typical or that they are going to be yours. I can only wish you a successful operation, speedy recovery and long life. Best. The Hitchicken.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your comments. That's a hurdle I'll have to negotiate if and when I get there. I am very healthy, non-smoker and only a social drinker not obese or diabetic, and at 62, considered an excellent, and young, candidate. The heart is the only organ that is not healthy, so I'm waiting and hoping.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your comments. That's a hurdle I'll have to negotiate if and when I get there. I am very healthy, non-smoker and only a social drinker not obese or diabetic, and at 62, considered an excellent, and young, candidate. The heart is the only organ that is not healthy, so I'm waiting and hoping.

Wishing you the best.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Thanks, everybody. I have a follow up with one of the surgeons/cardiologists on the transplant team tomorrow. Hope to go full steam ahead on all this testing and find out quickly future options, if any, one way or the other.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Best wishes and prayers for your surgery and recovery, b23. Please let us know how you're doing.

Thank you. The process to get to the transplant stage will be drawn out, and resumed today. Still evaluating the heart medicine Primacor being infused directly into my heart 24/7 via IV pump I am now attached to. Inconvenient, but learning to deal with it. No longer allowed to be immersed in water on chest, and showering is a challenge figuring out how to waterproof and tape down the dressing in my chest. So far Glad press and seal-type saran wrap along with clear package tape seems to be the best bet. With all of modern technology, the medical community still has not come up with a some kind of short term waterproof sealer that can just be slapped on the chest. Go figure.

belvak

Happy Camper
B23, wishing you the best and hoping all goes well for you. Will be watching for updates.

black dog

Free America
Best wishes to you, I don't know anyone with a heart transplant but I do know someone with a kidney transplantation. It's been a few years now and it has worked out well for him.
I do understand that after the transplant he now likes and eats lots of cheese. :shrug:

Thank you. The process to get to the transplant stage will be drawn out, and resumed today. Still evaluating the heart medicine Primacor being infused directly into my heart 24/7 via IV pump I am now attached to. Inconvenient, but learning to deal with it. No longer allowed to be immersed in water on chest, and showering is a challenge figuring out how to waterproof and tape down the dressing in my chest. So far Glad press and seal-type saran wrap along with clear package tape seems to be the best bet. With all of modern technology, the medical community still has not come up with a some kind of short term waterproof sealer that can just be slapped on the chest. Go figure.
My mom has the same issue. She has a tunneled catheter for hemodialysis, and it's a real struggle for her at 87 and my dad at 91 to make sure it's sealed for a shower. They've been using saran wrap and duct tape with 'just ok' results. it still gets damp. I'll tell them to try the press-and-seal with the duct tape.

And good luck with your issues and hope everything moves forward.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
a prayer said bro.

Thanks to everybody. Had appt with cardiologists/surgeon/and coordinator with the transplant team. Found out the testing takes about three months to complete, so it will be a process. I looked at that product that General Lee linked, and it would pull the dressing on there off, probably. I figured it would be ok to get the dressing a little wet, maybe, but was informed by the cardiologist that any water leakage through the dressing into the area in the chest with the open hole for the IV tube into the heart is so sad/too bad, sayanara baby. Pretty much instant cardiac arrest. So I plan on being as careful as possible.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
A one month update: Not much, just regular visits with the transplant team handling my case. Weekly visits to the center at TGH, where the cardiologist is monitoring and adjusting/adding heart meds to get me off this infernal 24/7 IV infusion pump I'm married to for the last five weeks. We all want to get me off this thing ASAP. Used to it now, but it is a 3.8 lb drag I have to wear constantly.

Once they are satisfied with this part of the regimen, I will start the intense testing for the procedure. It will essentially be a true miracle if a transplant can be avoided, but that is my sincere desire as long as it does not require being plugged into something 24/7. The testing can be done on an outpatient schedule, which would take at least 2 months, or an inpatient schedule which would take about five days. I'll take the five days, but will depend on what the insurance company (Cigna) will pay for.

Happy Easter, everybody!