Kodi?

SamSpade

Ok, I've heard a bit about this.

*EVERYTHING* in my bones says, whatever you want to do, it's going to be illegal, do NOT mess with this.

What do y'all say?

acommondisaster

*EVERYTHING* in my bones says, whatever you want to do, it's going to be illegal, do NOT mess with this.

What do y'all say?

I'm staying away from it because of my job's requirement that I not be involved with pirated software. Gotta pass the security clearance questions. I think you're probably smart to stay away from it. The concensus here at work is divided, but I figure better safe than sorry.

koan00

What do y'all say?
Kodi is just the the new name for XBMC, there is nothing inherently illegal or wrong with the software and has many legitimate uses. It does however allow you to install plugins that allow you to stream pirated content. If that is all you'd use it for then stay way.

glhs837

Power with Control
Kodi is just the the new name for XBMC, there is nothing inherently illegal or wrong with the software and has many legitimate uses. It does however allow you to install plugins that allow you to stream pirated content. If that is all you'd use it for then stay way.

What they are talking about is the glut of "Unlocked" Firesticks coming "preloaded" with all those apps for pirating stuff unlocked. Daughter and girlfriend were gifted one by the girlfriends parents........ I personally would never use one.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'm staying away from it because of my job's requirement that I not be involved with pirated software. Gotta pass the security clearance questions. I think you're probably smart to stay away from it. The concensus here at work is divided, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Really? I never would have thought this would come up for a security clearance. I'm assuming it's like Napster was when it first started? If so, were there that many citizens who got in trouble for using it?

glhs837

Power with Control
Really? I never would have thought this would come up for a security clearance. I'm assuming it's like Napster was when it first started? If so, were there that many citizens who got in trouble for using it?

Well, back in the day, the NSA/CIA/FBI wasnt plugged into every damn thing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Well, back in the day, the NSA/CIA/FBI wasnt plugged into every damn thing.

back in what day ?

I knew this guy ... he told me one time, he did not get cable tv for the longest time, because people thought - back then {1980's} the GOV. could listen in on conversations in the living room through the TV when it was turned off

:jet:

:jameo:

:faint:

I slowly backed away and left the room ....

Kev_Russell

Never mind security clearance and employment issues with this kind of stuff ... in what world is it OK to steal someone else's artistic output?

Kev_Russell

back in what day ?

I knew this guy ... he told me one time, he did not get cable tv for the longest time, because people thought - back then {1980's} the GOV. could listen in on conversations in the living room through the TV when it was turned off

Sounds about like something you'd proffer. TODAY.

glhs837

Power with Control
back in what day ?

Right, but there's nothing to show that ever happened, while we know damn well they have subverted any system then can get their hands on. Which, I understand is part of what we pay them to do. To have as much capability as possible. What we don't pay them for, but apparently in some cases happens anyway, is that they gather and store information on millions of normal citizens. Do you doubt the truth of that?

Never mind security clearance and employment issues with this kind of stuff ... in what world is it OK to steal someone else's artistic output?

It's not, and personally I did not and would not endorse that.

Restitution

I believe that Amazon will send you a CD or link you to a video that shows you exactly how to install the Kodi program onto your Firestick/FireTV. They fully endorse it.

Whether or not that applies to the file sharing programs is debatable though.... :shrug:

Kev_Russell

I believe that Amazon will send you a CD or link you to a video that shows you exactly how to install the Kodi program onto your Firestick/FireTV. They fully endorse it.

Whether or not that applies to the file sharing programs is debatable though.... :shrug:

Right. It's not kodi that is the issue, it's theft of art that is the issue.

Restitution

Right. It's not kodi that is the issue, it's theft of art that is the issue.

I look at this as just another way human nature will twist it into something that it was never meant to be...... like Facebook.

Facebook was designed to be a means to reach out to friends and connect and/or reconnect and share experiences. Now, it is used to play mindless games, stalk others, brag about what you got your kids for commercial "holidays," and voice your political opinion.

Human nature will eventually take over and twist it into something it was never meant to be.

Kev_Russell

I look at this as just another way human nature will twist it into something that it was never meant to be...... like Facebook.

Facebook was designed to be a means to reach out to friends and connect and/or reconnect and share experiences. Now, it is used to play mindless games, stalk others, brag about what you got your kids for commercial "holidays," and voice your political opinion.

Human nature will eventually take over and twist it into something it was never meant to be.

None of which has anything to do with stealing someone else's artistic output.

Restitution

None of which has anything to do with stealing someone else's artistic output.

It is the negative end result of something that was not intended that way. Remember Napster??

Was originally intended as a way to share music however, it was twisted into a way to steal and distribute free music content. Human nature again....

Kev_Russell

It is the negative end result of something that was not intended that way. Remember Napster??

Was originally intended as a way to share music however, it was twisted into a way to steal and distribute free music content. Human nature again....

I agree that human nature is what is. Your Facebook example doesn't really hold up because negative cultural impacts aren't the same as theft. Facebook's model isn't designed to make theft easy. You can't even post a video with music as a background if that music is copyrighted.

I certainly agree and understand that things like kodi or torrents have thousands of uses that have nothing to do with theft of property. Hell, because I travel so much, I keep all of my data encrypted and available over bit torrent and keep my devices clean of any data given the environment we live in. I'm not saying that these services shouldn't be allowed to exist, I'm just saying that one shouldn't steal. :shrug: