Greetings from Citra!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Halfway between Gainesville and Ocala, middle of NO WHERE. We drove 22 miles to find a Walmart - Winn Dixie was closer, 12 miles, but I needed some other things too.

We saw a guy with a mullet.

We also saw a Jay and Silent Bob lookalike couple.

But our campground is pretty nice. On Orange Lake, with a 9-hole golf course and a restaurant on the lake. We're only here for a few days, just a stopover to break up the trip to Panama City Beach (where we'll be for a month). We'll go see Gainesville and have dinner with my friend and his woman, but other than that there's not a lot going on. Citra is - ready? - Home of the Pineapple Orange. We're not sure what that means, but...pineapple orange, right? Gotta be good.

black dog

Free America
My Dad is in Dunnellon, they shop at both of those stores.

Edit,,,,, I looked at a map, you all are north of Ocala, my dad is west, different stores.
Gainesville is a fun college town to walk around and grab lunch.
My youngest sister teaches at the University of Florida.
And you can stop at the stadium and take a pic with the Famous Bronze Gator. :cartwheel

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
The last time my son was there he said the same thing. :bann:

Then on to my dad's house, after a few days of doing nothing but swimming in their pool they took him to Epcot for the day.
My disappointed child said grandpa's not much fun dad,
I answered he wasn't much fun in the sixties or seventies, what makes you think he would be fun now son?
Florida the land of no fun old folks. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Halfway between Gainesville and Ocala, middle of NO WHERE. We drove 22 miles to find a Walmart - Winn Dixie was closer, 12 miles, but I needed some other things too.

But our campground is pretty nice. On Orange Lake, with a 9-hole golf course and a restaurant on the lake. We're only here for a few days, just a stopover to break up the trip to Panama City Beach (where we'll be for a month). We'll go see Gainesville and have dinner with my friend and his woman, but other than that there's not a lot going on. Citra is - ready? - Home of the Pineapple Orange. We're not sure what that means, but...pineapple orange, right? Gotta be good.

:yay: Let us know how it is! (pineapple orange, that is!) :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It really is. That whole stretch of 75 is not much of anything. I've got family between Alachua/High Springs and Lake City. Not much of anything 'round there.

Alachua has a cute walky/eaty/drinky/shoppy area, but it's about an hour away from us, so we probably won't get there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, Ocala has one square block of downtown that's somewhat interesting, but not worth the trip. Other than that, it's bunch of sh*t shacks. Today we're going into Gainesville to hang out with my friend and have dinner at this place, which is owned by my friend's son and his wife.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Also, Ocala has one square block of downtown that's somewhat interesting, but not worth the trip. Other than that, it's bunch of sh*t shacks. Today we're going into Gainesville to hang out with my friend and have dinner at this place, which is owned by my friend's son and his wife.

So, what's your FL itinerary for the rest of the trip?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

Attachments

• 934988_563066350418303_308300100_n.jpg
    934988_563066350418303_308300100_n.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 260

belvak

Happy Camper

Maybe the juice of the Pineapple Orange is good with vodka? Maybe a splash of Sprite Zero? :drool:

acommondisaster

We spent 3 or 4 days in Ocala on our way to getting stationed in Homestead. There was a hurricane about to blow through southern Florida, so we figured it was better to wait it out in Ocala. Man, there is nothing there other than 4 motels at the intersection on the interstate. We were a poor E-5 couple who hadn't been paid in more than 30 days, after paying cash for a car in Wisconsin - so we were BROKE. We actually had a piggy bank we were using to pay the tolls. Eating baloney sandwiches and quarts of beer in a motel room. When we checked in, the place was deserted; by the next morning it was full of people who'd moved out of the hurricane's way. We partied with our fellow hurricane buddies - it was memorable and one of those things that doesn't seem so bad, looking back on it. Maybe you need to check into a motel and hope for a hurricane.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe you need to check into a motel and hope for a hurricane.

:lol:

Gainesville is small, but very cute. We got lucky yesterday and it happened to be the day they have their downtown farmers market, so we walked around there after the early bird supper. :jet: Then we went over to Ring Park and hiked a bit - my friend's wife died 7ish years ago and there is a bench in the park dedicated to her that I wanted to see. Tomorrow night we're going to see Tommy at their local playhouse.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Yesterday we drove by the University of Florida. All the snowflakes were out at the corner protesting the outrage du jour. It was probably something to do with women's rights as many of the signs were either red or pink. I guess they were protesting middle east regimes that treat women like personal property. We honked as we drove by and the hive got a bit animated.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

If you were in Citra, you were on US 301. A real nice stretch of road bypassing interstates, and a definite mileage saver if heading N to Jax. watch your speed in all those burgs, especially Waldo and Baldwin. They must finance their entire budget from speeding tickets.