March 8...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Some of us have responsibilities and cannot bow out to make pointless political statements. But you girls enjoy your vag hats. Take lots of pictures.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Hey! This could be fun!

How about a day with no men?
Or, a day with no cops?
Or a day with no military!?
A day with no gays? A day with no blacks or Asians?
How about a day with no college students?
What might a day with no teenagers look like?
How about a day with no press?
A day with no Hollywood?

I keep saying this; Alinsky provided rules for the weak to take some power from the strong. What it does not do is help you with what to do with it once you get it.

Chris0nllyn

I was reading a blog post by Shikha Dalmia on Reason this morning on this topic.

Setting aside the cheesiness of these actions, they demonstrate the truth of Sayer's Law, namely, that as the stakes become pettier, the politics become fiercer. American – indeed, Western – feminism over the last century and a half has made a great deal of progress in tearing down political and social barriers holding women back. The reason a show like MadMen lampooning the sexist treatment of women in the 1960s office was even conceivable at this point was precisely because we have overcome such regressive attitudes. This progress was neither automatic nor inevitable. It required constant struggle and "consciousness raising." Nor is it over. There are plenty of "women's issues" still left to be tackled. Indeed, workplaces even in the 21st Century very much tend to be arranged in accordance with male needs and norms. (You can't take the availability of sanitary pads for granted in many office bathrooms, for Christ's sake.) But that is just the stuff of everyday life that requires localized personal activism on the part of individual women, not necessarily a full-blown organized movement constantly drawing attention to itself by throwing pity parties.

When it comes to non-Western women, however, it is another story. One does not have to look at the Taliban or Saudi Arabia, where a backward understanding of sharia guides civic life, to witness gender oppression. Patriarchy is intact in many parts of Asia and Africa where women face basic abrogation of their freedoms and rights. Even in a country like India, which is by no means the worst, public spaces are not entirely safe for women and genuinely cramp their ability to move freely. Street harassment is a fact of life.

So if we are going to have an International Woman's Day, then it needs to focus where the real problems are. But a Day Without A Woman that calls for a mass strike on behalf of women who have cushy jobs in plush Western offices is just plain obtuse. The women who really need a day off -- day laborers on construction sites in Inida, rice pickers in paddy fields in Bali -- can't afford to give up a day's wages. Hence, all this holiday will do is impose the Western woman's understanding of women's problems -- and their solutions -- on all women. Just like with the Washington Women's March, it will only further marginalize the marginalized.

http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/03/feminism-needs-to-take-a-day-off

:clap:

glhs837

Power with Control
So, Seattle Times has a bit about how any woman who can take that time is exercising her white privilege :) And that if you can't, you should be wearing red, which was chosen for blahblahblah. Still the color of communists to me :)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So, Seattle Times has a bit about how any woman who can take that time is exercising her white privilege :) And that if you can't, you should be wearing red, which was chosen for blahblahblah. Still the color of communists to me :)

A day without cultural appropriation! Then, whose gonna buy all them rap albums, huh? :evil:

glhs837

Power with Control
A day without cultural appropriation! Then, whose gonna buy all them rap albums, huh? :evil:

Wait, so can I wear red, is that being an "ally", or is it me being an arshole trying to mansplain womans day and make it about me virtue signaling? I think I need a 20 sided die just to sort this stuff out.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Wait, so can I wear red, is that being an "ally", or is it me being an arshole trying to mansplain womans day and make it about me virtue signaling? I think I need a 20 sided die just to sort this stuff out.

Whatever. Just assert your rights based on someone haven taken something from an ancestor.

glhs837

Power with Control
Whatever. Just assert your rights based on someone haven taken something from an ancestor.

Well the ancestry I do know is English and Scottish. Including one Mayflower passenger...... well, the English subjugated my Scottish ancestors..... but those would have been my English ancestors.... hold on, I'll need some more time with this 20 sided die....