WikiLeaks Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Dang, reads like a spy novel. Wait a minute.... Someone should make a movie. Wait a minute....

This is just a confirmation of things we already knew. But on a much larger scale.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm not sure if WikiLeaks is blocked on my network, and I don't care to find out the hard way.

Anyone care to recap?
Just the highlights.

Well, for one, what you would expect; the CIA is a gummint unto itself. For two, as much power as it is amassing, it barely, if at all, has positive control of it all. They have a small army of hackers that allow them to get around, perhaps even control the NSA. They have the ability to steal, for example, Russian hacking software and compromise it and thus be able to say, hack the DNC and make it look like someone else did it AND be pretty bad ass at Call of Duty 5...at the same time.

Hack your phone, my phone, everyone's phone. Computers, TV's, your toaster.

This_person

CIA is everywhere.

I thought that was someone else.....

e8c96c39e9b670f1e35083310aee7da3.jpg

Toxick

Splat
They have the ability to steal, for example, Russian hacking software and compromise it and thus be able to say, hack the DNC and make it look like someone else did it AND be pretty bad ass at Call of Duty 5...at the same time.

Now this is interesting.

Overall it sounds like the Actual CIA is pretty much the same as the Hollywood Movie Version of the CIA.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Now this is interesting.

Overall it sounds like the Actual CIA is pretty much the same as the Hollywood Movie Version of the CIA.

And I have no doubt that the Russians have hackers who can hack the stuff CIA hacked so that they can make it look like we were trying to make it look like they did it. So, in effect, they get what they want, the hack, and we get the blame because they can make our hack of their hack look like...a hack. As far as we know.... :lol:

Chris0nllyn

The CIA's Remote Devices Branch's UMBRAGE group collects and maintains a substantial library of attack techniques 'stolen' from malware produced in other states including the Russian Federation.

With UMBRAGE and related projects the CIA cannot only increase its total number of attack types but also misdirect attribution by leaving behind the "fingerprints" of the groups that the attack techniques were stolen from.

I wonder if the CIA could have "hacked" our own election with Russian "fingerprints".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And I have no doubt that the Russians have hackers who can hack .....

this is why the whole 'Russians hacked the Election' meme is stupid, there is NO WAY the GRU / FSB would leave any finger prints like 'hacking' from Russian IP's

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I wonder if the CIA could have "hacked" our own election with Russian "fingerprints".

Of course they did. I mean, consider; it seems rather obvious that the CIA is choosing sides. You choose sides, you're no longer just doing a job. You're doing a job with a bias, a point, a goal beyond just Central Intelligence. I mean, once those restraints are off, once it becomes clear that an agency in the US gummint that has long been involved with...influencing...elections is in the game, they've tossed their objectivity out the window. Everything they say has got to be held against the backdrop of that bias. That the hope is that people won't consider the implications of THE CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE agency making a statement in light of the bias they're expressing, well, again, I call for FAR less secrecy.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
this is why the whole 'Russians hacked the Election' meme is stupid, there is NO WAY the GRU / FSB would leave any finger prints like 'hacking' from Russian IP's

Why not? It's certainly possible that they'd LIKE to be thought of as that powerful especially if they ain't. The power to do something and no one knows about it is one thing. The power to do a thing and either don't care people know or WANT people to know, THAT'S power.

This_person

The biggest problem with the whole hacking thing is that the people who got the files said they got them from DNC insiders. While the DNC (and others) may have been hacked, that seems to have nothing to do with the release of the information.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The biggest problem with the whole hacking thing is that the people who got the files said they got them from DNC insiders. While the DNC (and others) may have been hacked, that seems to have nothing to do with the release of the information.

It's the damnedest thing how this story has evolved. It is THE 'fake' news example of our era.

This_person

It's the damnedest thing how this story has evolved. It is THE 'fake' news example of our era.

Right - Seth Rich, British Ambassador....nothing about Russians. At the time the DNC even said it was an insider, until someone figured out they could somehow create a way to make people think the GOP and/or Trump somehow had something to do with it.

Toxick

Splat
And I have no doubt that the Russians have hackers who can hack the stuff CIA hacked so that they can make it look like we were trying to make it look like they did it. So, in effect, they get what they want, the hack, and we get the blame because they can make our hack of their hack look like...a hack. As far as we know.... :lol:

It's a win-win-win-win!