Tragedy/bullying in Schools

Restless

My heart breaks for the family of Hugo Morales. How do we prevent something like this from happening again? Is there a policy in place for all the county schools to follow when bullying takes place?

Back in the dark ages (1970's) in NJ where I grew up there were the occasional bullies, but they were not tolerated. They were given after school detention. If they kept at it, they could be sent to a "reform school" for the remainder of the school year. I think we need to bring back those reform schools. Do a three strikes - your out policy.

No child should have to be so bullied by their peers that they take their own lives!

Restless

I apologize if I am mistaken, but I believe I read about it on a local website. The Spring Ridge parents commented at the end that the boy had been bullied.

black dog

Free America
My heart breaks for the family of Hugo Morales. How do we prevent something like this from happening again? Is there a policy in place for all the county schools to follow when bullying takes place?

Back in the dark ages (1970's) in NJ where I grew up there were the occasional bullies, but they were not tolerated. They were given after school detention. If they kept at it, they could be sent to a "reform school" for the remainder of the school year. I think we need to bring back those reform schools. Do a three strikes - your out policy.

No child should have to be so bullied by their peers that they take their own lives!

Problem boys can get sent to Cheltenham, it's just behind the Veterans Cemetery on 301.
We had problems with our son being bullied in Elementary School by another boy, the problem was his single mom of three kids worked for the school system and there was not alot they would do about the constantly repeating problem.
I started taking my son to Steve Tolsons Karate, it took about a year or so and my son finely got tired of being pushed, shoved and triped in the hallways at school.
It was over in a few quick seconds.
Next was in early HS, same bull$hit different bully, my kid twisted him up in the cafeteria after weeks of being hassled.
Both times warranted a meeting with the school principal and that was about it.
The zero tolerance bull$hit doesn't always mean zero tolerance. Both times threats were made to expell my kid. We worked it out quickly when the school found out I had everything documented.
I highly recommend Steve Tolsons Okinawan Karate. 10 or 11 years now and still money well spent.

Restitution

Need to implement a 3 strikes rule. Your kid gets punished for bullying... 1st offense is detention. 2nd offense is suspension. 3rd offense is expulsion. PERIOD!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What is considered "bullying" has become so broad and open to interpretation that I'm against any sort of "anti-bullying" punitive action. What we used to call "harmless teasing" back in the day is now a federal offense. Even more malicious teasing - how strict do you really want to be with that? Some kid calls another kid a name, do we really want to send him to reform school? Some girls clique up and ostracize another girl, is that a reform school case?

Teachers and school administrators have already proven that they are incapable of using judgement, and I am absolutely against "zero-tolerance" crap. The kid who is a true psychopath shouldn't be judged the same as the kid who chews his PopTart into a gun shape or calls some other kid a stupid head. Back in MY day, teachers knew who was who and what was what, and the real bullies - the ones who threatened or were violent - typically got sat on hard. Then they started that crap about not wanting to make Little Sh*theadica feel bad, and allowed all sorts of nonsense. Which turned into overcorrecting.

At what point do we get back to common sense with these punk kids and how they behave?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And I hate to tell you this, but your little memes and Facebook proclamations will not stop one single social deviant from being a sh*thead to others. If it makes you feel good about yourself to post crap about how you're against bullying, good for you. But do be aware that it won't solve a single problem.

Restitution

All bullies have a plan, until they get punched in the face.
It worked in 1966 and it still works today.

This all goes back to the post you quoted....

Back in the day, if a kid was bullied and decided to fight back... parents would be called into the office and it would be discussed and handled. Now, police are involved, lawyers can get involved, and snowflakes are damaged.

Different world now...

stgislander

PREMO Member
I would expect that somebody in the school knows who the bully is. What happens to that kid?

black dog

Free America
This all goes back to the post you quoted....

Back in the day, if a kid was bullied and decided to fight back... parents would be called into the office and it would be discussed and handled. Now, police are involved, lawyers can get involved, and snowflakes are damaged.

Different world now...

Really, my son is still in High School in St Mary's Co.
No police, no lawyers, no school board meetings, no suspensions for my son.
Just a dad that documented every time he went to my sons school over this, documented every phone call and so on.
Both times my son finely picked his hands up to put a end to someone hassling and putting their hands on him almost weekly. The School system didn't have a leg to stand on.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Need to implement a 3 strikes rule. Your kid gets punished for bullying... 1st offense is detention. 2nd offense is suspension. 3rd offense is expulsion. PERIOD!

You expel a middle schooler the law requires that they go to school..

Where do they go to school now.. at what expense??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I would expect that somebody in the school knows who the bully is. What happens to that kid?

They take him aside and give him special attention, tell him how it's ok to be misunderstood..

Counseling.. special classes.. special treatment..

AND he continues to bully others..

black dog

Free America
They take him aside and give him special attention, tell him how it's ok to be misunderstood..

Counseling.. special classes.. special treatment..

AND he continues to bully others..

They did a that sillyness with the boy that hassled my son in Elementary School.
Single Mom with three kids in school and Mom worked in a different school in the county. The kid couldn't be suspended or expelled because there was no one to watch this child. The instant cure was three or four punches to the face and a right foot to the side of his knotty head.
Problem solved for my son anyway. A few months later this kid pulled out his weiner on the school bus. He went to DC to live with his grandparents.

Restitution

Where do they go to school now.. at what expense??

Ummm..... wouldn't that be the parent(s) who did nothing to curb this behavior's problem? The parent would have to deal with getting the kid back into school somewhere. The school is responsible to the entire school... not one child. Since when did the school system become financially responsible for the child?

A big problem now-a-day is that some parents use the school more as a daycare/sitter than an educational institution. Dropping their snowflakes off with obvious sickness, never participating in school functions, and expecting the school itself to deal with the problems. THIS is one major reason why some of these issues exist!

Last edited:
This article release March 1st in the Enterprise: http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/...cle_845ef6bc-199a-587f-a599-f185d41548c0.html

Students of color, low income and disabilities are disproportionately suspended for disrespect and disruption at St. Mary’s public schools, compared to their white peers, according to data presented at a recent NAACP meeting.

“We know the suspensions are not working,” Charles Ridgell, director of student services, said at the Feb. 23 NAACP St. Mary’s branch meeting held at the Lexington Park library. “It gives the students a nice vacation and in many cases but it doesn’t always solve their behavior. Many times they are more challenging.” St. Mary’s rate of suspension is “not drastically different” from the national rates, he said.

I have read the entire article and nowhere does it state that those held accountable for their bad behavior are wrongly called out. The entirety of the article shows that our schools are more concerned with appeasing the NAACP by trying to reduce the numbers for students of color, low income and disabilities being called out for bad behavior than they are of actually dealing with those harassing other students as well as teachers. As long as our school boards are more concerned with political correctness than they are with student and teacher safety we can't expect a safe haven for students who are in school to learn.

black dog

Free America
Sounds like you may be a bully....

In all seriousness, that Andy Griffith fight back and the bully will leave you alone bull#### is just that. Unless you can actually whip the bully's ass, fighting back is exactly what they want. An excuse to vent some frustration on you.

Believe it or not, your skinny McFly is not going to lay Biff out with one punch and then go to the dance with the girl.

I don't believe I've ever been a bully, I'll say I have stood up for many in my life that will not stand up for themselves.
My brother and I were taught old Okinawan Karate by our Father, a 4th Dan.
You know,,,, wax on... wax off.
Kata's and workouts almost daily in my father's house.
My dad wasn't much on sparring, we fought in his basement.
Lessons came quick and painful.
We were taught how to defend ourselves, it matters not of it's a school or a bar room.
Bully's are mostly the same everywhere, lots of talk and yelling while pointing a finger at you. What generally they are not is fighters.
Like Mike Tyson so eloquently stated,
everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face.

People that know how to fight don't stand there in a argument ranting and posturing with hand or hands down on there sides.
If his hands are up around his middle or higher, be prepared, he most likely has some education.

black dog

Free America
Maybe we have different views on this, or just come from different generations. When I was younger a bully wasn't someone who called you a name, or disliked your instagram picture of your lunch. A bully was looking for a fight and often targeted "unpopular" people because they didn't want to fall out with the cool kids, and obviously they don't pick fights where they are liable to get their ass whooped.

If a bully pushed you into a locker it wasn't to hurt your feelings, it was to provoke you to take a swing at him and give him an excuse to knock your teeth in.

Blame whatever you want, abusive family, drugs, or just a mean streak (no puppies to torture).

But maybe I just grew up in a tougher area, and the sissified bullies you talk about that run away at the first sign of resistance are really the majority. I doubt it though.

And you can continue to tell me about how you taught your son the 1 finger Okinawan pirate death punch and therefore he never gets bullied, but that doesn't really invalidate my life observation. It might just mean you and your son are the bullies (waiting for someone to tease you about the color of your shoes so you can punch them in the throat).

You need to work on your reading skills, I didn't teach my son to fight. I sent him to Karate class in Charlotte Hall. If you knew anything about Martial Arts you would know the last thing on the agenda is actually fighting. Walk away if possible.
I grew up in the pussified town of Bethesda, with a father that was a career Navy Frogman,
I also boxed at the YMCA on Old Georgetown Rd and entered the Marines in 76.
I'm a combat veteran. I spent a few after that working in central Africa.
I'm pretty well traveled and have had my share of wins and losses.
I do believe I know what a bully is.
And at 58, I'm still not afraid of them.
Then again mostly I bully small stature gay men and lesbians.. Right?

I believe your one of those that silly karate stuff... I would suggest you head up to Tolsons tonight and spar with one of those 12 to 16 year old girls and see how well it works out for you.
I bet she tells you,,, " You hit like a Girl "

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If a bully pushed you into a locker it wasn't to hurt your feelings, it was to provoke you to take a swing at him and give him an excuse to knock your teeth in.

And that is exactly the crap that occurred often enough at Spring Ridge that we pulled our son out and paid for his attendance at private school. At least twice, he was literally forced to resort to force to defend himself, something he did ably enough because he's always been a tall lanky kid, if a bit on the skinny side. But fighting back made him a perpetual target too.

After it became clear that the school administration was going to do nothing effective about the "gang-like" situation that required our son to constantly be looking to defend himself, we got him out.