Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: Tragedy/bullying in Schools

  1. #41
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,876
    When I was in 7th grade I was 12 years old and I was bullied by a fellow 7th grader who happened to be 16 years old. I was still a child and this "kid" was a young man, had muscles, a moustache etc. He beat on me a lot, still it was only one person. With the internet it makes it much more like everyone is piling on, kids that would not do anything in an actual physical bullying situation like I had happen have no problem jumping on and adding to the problems.

    "Star Wars Kid" from the late 90's was one of the first examples of posting an unflattering video of a kid on the internet that went viral and really upset this kid.

    I saw my bully years later when I was about 21 years old, the difference was he stayed about 5'10" but I had grown to 6'5" at that moment he realized what a mistake he had made almost 10 years earlier.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  2. #42
    American Beauty RoseRed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    74,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    I have heard this argument too. "BUT... the interwebz!" And I think it is truly garbage.

    Back in the day, EVERYONE in the school knew who the bully was picking on. EVERYONE in the school had their opinions on people. They didn't need the internet for that! People actually TALKED TO EACH OTHER!

    Do you honestly think that kids from other schools/counties are bussing into the area to bully kids? How exactly is the internet making it worse than it was years ago?
    Evidently, the FLOTUS thinks internet bullying is a crisis since she chose it as one of her platforms. Do you recall Rosie making disparaging on line remarks about Barron? It's not just kids that use social media to pick on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Evidently, the FLOTUS thinks internet bullying is a crisis since she chose it as one of her platforms. Do you recall Rosie making disparaging on line remarks about Barron? It's not just kids that use social media to pick on others.
    Evidently they are still living "back in the day". People, particularly young people, like to use the relative anonymity of the internet to "attack" people. As an adult we are more immune to stupid crap people say, but kids are more sensitive to what their peers think.
    As long as adults keep thinking "back in the day", the problem won't be addressed.

    That doesn't mean that physical abuse doesn't exist. The politically correct state of Maryland is at fault for the "no fault" fight punishment.
    It's not a joke, or myth, if your child is jumped in school, they too will be disciplined the same as the others. The schools don't won't to be accused of prejudice when it comes to handing out punishment. In fact, they don't want to hand out punishment because it makes their statistics look bad. Talk about the legal system being a revolving door, in some cases the teachers are told to not even send a chronic offender to the office because it's pointless.

    But I think parents should be aware of what their children are doing online. They should be aware of how their children speak about their peers. As I said, free speech, is not a blank check to disparage and smear another.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

  4. #44
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,487
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You bring up a good point. My school had sissified bullies who picked on weaker kids because they could and wouldn't dare take on their equal. A good shot in the head usually settled them down. But hardcore bullies won't hesitate to #### you up, or even kill you.

    Kwillia brought up a point that I was trying to avoid but there it is. The black kids are many times the tormentors, and nothing happens to them because RACISM!!! If the bullying allegations are true, the parents of this kid who killed himself need to get a good lawyer and press charges against the school for allowing this to happen. They bust back some kid who writes a violent short story in creative writing class, but then let some psychotic kid run rampant because he's black and they are "racially sensitive".

    They need to knock that crap off and treat everyone equal, regardless of race, and the only way they'll do it is if parents put pressure on them and hit them where it hurts - the budget. They go on and on about "zero tolerance" but clearly they do not know what that means.
    http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/n...5d41548c0.html

    Of course, it's login, but you can guess the rest....
    "I aim to misbehave."

  5. #45
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,054
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    I saw my bully years later when I was about 21 years old, the difference was he stayed about 5'10" but I had grown to 6'5" at that moment he realized what a mistake he had made almost 10 years earlier.
    Did you beat his ass?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/n...5d41548c0.html

    Of course, it's login, but you can guess the rest....
    Just so she doesn't have to guess...

    St. Mary's minority students disproportionately suspended
    By JACQUI ATKIELSKI jatkielski@somdnews.com Mar 1, 2017
    Students of color, low income and disabilities are disproportionately suspended for disrespect and disruption at St. Mary’s public schools, compared to their white peers, according to data presented at a recent NAACP meeting.

    “We know the suspensions are not working,” Charles Ridgell, director of student services,
    It's not about behavior, it's about statistics.
    This is the stuff they put on the principal, who in turn has to pass along some odious rules to the staff and teachers.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

  7. #47
    Board Mommy vraiblonde's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    117,054
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/n...5d41548c0.html

    Of course, it's login, but you can guess the rest....
    Up to the cutoff:

    “We know the suspensions are not working,” Charles Ridgell, director of student services, said at the Feb. 23 NAACP St. Mary’s branch meeting held at the Lexington Park library. “It gives the students a nice vacation and in many cases but it doesn’t always solve their behavior. Many times they are more challenging.” St. Mary’s rate of suspension is “not drastically different” from the national rates, he said.

    Suspension should be a two-fold deal: not only punish the kid, but get him out of the way so the other kids can learn, not dread coming to school and having to deal with this person. So Mr. Ridgell, suspensions DO work, depending on what result you're looking for. If you use suspension to raise someone else's kid, you're right - they don't work. But if you use them to facilitate a learning environment for the rest of the student population, they work perfectly.

    What is with these people that we are allowing to educate our children and run our schools?? The correct answer to NAACP tards who want to bitch about black kids getting in trouble is, "Then tell little Sh*theadica to stop being an ahole."

    Duh.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post

    But I think parents should be aware of what their children are doing online. They should be aware of how their children speak about their peers. As I said, free speech, is not a blank check to disparage and smear another.
    .Parents and kids are no different now than when we grew up, kids can be nice and they can be mean. Online or in person the pile on's and bullying will always happen.
    Some parents monitor and some don't and other parents couldn't care less what their kids do.

    If you want to see how yours and other kids really are, load up Call to Duty on Xbox live and listen and view your kid and their friends from a neighbors house. It's a brutal awakening to most.
    Be a fly on the wall of your kids school bus one day.
    The world is a tough place. We will always have bully's, some kids will take it and some will fight back, and and sad as it is kids will always commit suicide.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Up to the cutoff:

    “We know the suspensions are not working,” Charles Ridgell, director of student services, said at the Feb. 23 NAACP St. Mary’s branch meeting held at the Lexington Park library. “It gives the students a nice vacation and in many cases but it doesn’t always solve their behavior. Many times they are more challenging.” St. Mary’s rate of suspension is “not drastically different” from the national rates, he said.

    Suspension should be a two-fold deal: not only punish the kid, but get him out of the way so the other kids can learn, not dread coming to school and having to deal with this person. So Mr. Ridgell, suspensions DO work, depending on what result you're looking for. If you use suspension to raise someone else's kid, you're right - they don't work. But if you use them to facilitate a learning environment for the rest of the student population, they work perfectly.

    What is with these people that we are allowing to educate our children and run our schools?? The correct answer to NAACP tards who want to bitch about black kids getting in trouble is, "Then tell little Sh*theadica to stop being an ahole."

    Duh.
    I wonder what expulsion and dropout / graduation rates would be in St Mary's Co if Great Mills HS was left out of the numbers.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  10. #50
    Throwing the deuces RareBreed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    On the out-skirts of persnickety
    Posts
    6,723
    A girl at Patuxent HS was beat up in the lunchroom while she sat at a table. She could not defend herself and the beating was so bad that she later had a seizure. I asked my son if he witness it and he said he saw the video. It is disheartening that kids would rather video a girl getting beaten than try to help her.

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |