Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragedy/bullying in Schools

Tragedy/bullying in Schools

My heart breaks for the family of Hugo Morales. How do we prevent something like this from happening again? Is there a policy in place for all the county schools to follow when bullying takes place?

Back in the dark ages (1970's) in NJ where I grew up there were the occasional bullies, but they were not tolerated. They were given after school detention. If they kept at it, they could be sent to a "reform school" for the remainder of the school year. I think we need to bring back those reform schools. Do a three strikes - your out policy.

No child should have to be so bullied by their peers that they take their own lives!

Did I miss where they said he was bullied? Or is t talk within the community?

I apologize if I am mistaken, but I believe I read about it on a local website. The Spring Ridge parents commented at the end that the boy had been bullied.

Quote Originally Posted by Restless View Post
    My heart breaks for the family of Hugo Morales. How do we prevent something like this from happening again? Is there a policy in place for all the county schools to follow when bullying takes place?

Back in the dark ages (1970's) in NJ where I grew up there were the occasional bullies, but they were not tolerated. They were given after school detention. If they kept at it, they could be sent to a "reform school" for the remainder of the school year. I think we need to bring back those reform schools. Do a three strikes - your out policy.

No child should have to be so bullied by their peers that they take their own lives!
    Problem boys can get sent to Cheltenham, it's just behind the Veterans Cemetery on 301.
    We had problems with our son being bullied in Elementary School by another boy, the problem was his single mom of three kids worked for the school system and there was not alot they would do about the constantly repeating problem.
    I started taking my son to Steve Tolsons Karate, it took about a year or so and my son finely got tired of being pushed, shoved and triped in the hallways at school.
    It was over in a few quick seconds.
    Next was in early HS, same bull$hit different bully, my kid twisted him up in the cafeteria after weeks of being hassled.
    Both times warranted a meeting with the school principal and that was about it.
    The zero tolerance bull$hit doesn't always mean zero tolerance. Both times threats were made to expell my kid. We worked it out quickly when the school found out I had everything documented.
    I highly recommend Steve Tolsons Okinawan Karate. 10 or 11 years now and still money well spent.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

5. 03-07-2017, 11:57 PM

Need to implement a 3 strikes rule. Your kid gets punished for bullying... 1st offense is detention. 2nd offense is suspension. 3rd offense is expulsion. PERIOD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I post stupid #### all the time.

Blog Entries
    What is considered "bullying" has become so broad and open to interpretation that I'm against any sort of "anti-bullying" punitive action. What we used to call "harmless teasing" back in the day is now a federal offense. Even more malicious teasing - how strict do you really want to be with that? Some kid calls another kid a name, do we really want to send him to reform school? Some girls clique up and ostracize another girl, is that a reform school case?

Teachers and school administrators have already proven that they are incapable of using judgement, and I am absolutely against "zero-tolerance" crap. The kid who is a true psychopath shouldn't be judged the same as the kid who chews his PopTart into a gun shape or calls some other kid a stupid head. Back in MY day, teachers knew who was who and what was what, and the real bullies - the ones who threatened or were violent - typically got sat on hard. Then they started that crap about not wanting to make Little Sh*theadica feel bad, and allowed all sorts of nonsense. Which turned into overcorrecting.

At what point do we get back to common sense with these punk kids and how they behave?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    And I hate to tell you this, but your little memes and Facebook proclamations will not stop one single social deviant from being a sh*thead to others. If it makes you feel good about yourself to post crap about how you're against bullying, good for you. But do be aware that it won't solve a single problem.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Back in MY day...
    The pertinent fact in your post. It is not "back in your day."

Unfortunately....

Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    The pertinent fact in your post. It is not "back in your day."

Unfortunately....
    All bullies have a plan, until they get punched in the face.
    It worked in 1966 and it still works today.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    All bullies have a plan, until they get punched in the face.
    It worked in 1966 and it still works today.
    This all goes back to the post you quoted....

Back in the day, if a kid was bullied and decided to fight back... parents would be called into the office and it would be discussed and handled. Now, police are involved, lawyers can get involved, and snowflakes are damaged.

Different world now...

Members who have read this thread: 167