Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tragedy/bullying in Schools

Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    I was on a Safety & Security Committee for the Board of Education for last 20 years. In that 20 years, they did not increase discipline in schools. They decreased it. In fact, I was on a special subcommittee that was formed directly after a major incident at Great Mills High School when one student nearly killed another. I thought they were going to "increase" the methods to discipline out of control students to help the teachers. Instead, they decreased it. What shame.
    Now be honest and tell everyone why penalties and discipline eased. I'll help you out: it didn't originate locally.
    I liked Calvert County better when there were only two stoplights.

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    And I hate to tell you this, but your little memes and Facebook proclamations will not stop one single social deviant from being a sh*thead to others.

Nope, my daughter just kicked the problem in the balls ....
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Na, I'm a lover not a fighter. I did try to coax him into one though by giving his girl my number.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Nope, my daughter just kicked the problem in the balls ....
    When the problem has a gun or a knife, or a gang of homies, kicking them in the balls becomes the anti-solution.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerso View Post
    Now be honest and tell everyone why penalties and discipline eased. I'll help you out: it didn't originate locally.
    Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner

The state does it with funding. You don't have to do what the state wants, but if you don't, they don't fund the schools until you comply.
    I know in PA it was a straight formula, the local school district got money on a per pupil basis. Each school didn't have to hire a grants administator to beg the state for money.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner

The state does it with funding. You don't have to do what the state wants, but if you don't, they don't fund the schools until you comply.
    I know in PA it was a straight formula, the local school district got money on a per pupil basis. Each school didn't have to hire a grants administator to beg the state for money.
    "And smaller bugs....." And the Feds do it to the State with funding.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerso View Post
    You are correct. The political formula that Annapolis came up with for disciplinary issues did in fact result in the Counties watering down overall disciplinary actions. A few years after Annapolis did this, I wrote a Bill which in fact made its way through both sides and was signed by the Governor. "The Bill was unchanged by either side". The Bill created a Blue Ribbon Panel on School Safety. This panel was empowered to make recommendations to the the Governor and the Senate as to what our schools need. One of those recommendations created the Bullying and Intimidation Act along with the annual report all Counties that any of us can access on line. I believe it is usually completed by 31 March. It may take them a month or two to post it on line after it is published. All of you should not forget that Senator Waugh took Senator Dyson's place on the State Education Committee. If you feel as though schools are not where you believe they should be, I recommend that you contact him. If he is not responsive to your requests as I hear some have suggested, simply vote him out during the next election. I have heard complaints that he may be too cozy with the School Boards and not responsive to the citizens of the County. I do not know whether it is true or not. Perhaps all of you in the cyber World can shed some light. I base complaints in the same box as opinions. Everyone seems to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    You are correct. The political formula that Annapolis came up with for disciplinary issues did in fact result in the Counties watering down overall disciplinary actions. A few years after Annapolis did this, I wrote a Bill which in fact made its way through both sides and was signed by the Governor. "The Bill was unchanged by either side". The Bill created a Blue Ribbon Panel on School Safety. This panel was empowered to make recommendations to the the Governor and the Senate as to what our schools need. One of those recommendations created the Bullying and Intimidation Act along with the annual report all Counties that any of us can access on line. I believe it is usually completed by 31 March. It may take them a month or two to post it on line after it is published. All of you should not forget that Senator Waugh took Senator Dyson's place on the State Education Committee. If you feel as though schools are not where you believe they should be, I recommend that you contact him. If he is not responsive to your requests as I hear some have suggested, simply vote him out during the next election. I have heard complaints that he may be too cozy with the School Boards and not responsive to the citizens of the County. I do not know whether it is true or not. Perhaps all of you in the cyber World can shed some light. I base complaints in the same box as opinions. Everyone seems to have one.
    Damn, a blue ribbon panel, how is this not fixed yet?
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Damn, a blue ribbon panel, how is this not fixed yet?
    Is political correctness two words or one? It's disgusting. I gave them a path to solve the problem. They choose not to take it. You will see the result now and in the future.

Members who have read this thread: 6