National "Make a Sammich for Your Man" Day

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Don't forget to make a sammich for your man, today. Whether it's a husband, boyfriend, or a little man. Make him a sammich.
Since I have to work today, I'll be making sammiches for supper.

Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe

Dijon mustard
8 slices country bread
Swiss cheese slices
Bourbon-Glazed Ham
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter
Confectioners' sugar

Spread mustard on bread. Layer 4 bread slices with Swiss cheese, ham, and cheese again. Place remaining bread slices on top.
In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, turning to coat well.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. When butter is foamy, add the sandwiches, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Serve immediately, dusted with confectioners' sugar.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If Monello wants it, I'll fresh squeeze him some orange juice, like Beaver's mother used to do for Ward.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
No, but there are a ton of produce people on the side of the road and I'm doing my best to hit all of them.

Those roadside produce stands are few and far between, compared to what they were when I was growing up. They had some interesting food items.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Don't forget to make a sammich for your man, today. Whether it's a husband, boyfriend, or a little man. Make him a sammich.
Since I have to work today, I'll be making sammiches for supper.

Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe

Dijon mustard
8 slices country bread
Swiss cheese slices
Bourbon-Glazed Ham
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter
Confectioners' sugar

Spread mustard on bread. Layer 4 bread slices with Swiss cheese, ham, and cheese again. Place remaining bread slices on top.
In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, turning to coat well.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. When butter is foamy, add the sandwiches, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Serve immediately, dusted with confectioners' sugar.

Never understood the powdered sugar on this, it's like they couldn't decide if they wanted a grilled ham and cheese or French toast.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Like bawled penits (boiled peanuts) yuk !

I love boiled peanuts. Back in the day, when I was a little girl, we'd go to my great grandmothers on weekends. I had twin uncles, Franklin and Freddie, who would set up a fire out by the tree line, boil peanuts and drink beer all day. Maybe their an "acquired taste". I've eaten them for as long as I can remember.

black dog

Free America
Like bawled penits (boiled peanuts) yuk !

I love boiled peanuts. Back in the day, when I was a little girl, we'd go to my great grandmothers on weekends. I had twin uncles, Franklin and Freddie, who would set up a fire out by the tree line, boil peanuts and drink beer all day. Maybe their an "acquired taste". I've eaten them for as long as I can remember.

One of my sister's married a boy from Boykins,VA. He grows peanuts.
The first time I went there for the weekend Jimmy boiled some peanuts, I rank that within the top ten grossest things I have ever eaten.
.earthworms ranked higher than boiled nuts.

This_person

07-funny-pics.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

First time we were off roading and camping down near Murphy, NC, we had a couple people ask us to "try the boiled peanuts".."bring us back some boiled peanuts!". Well sure enough..they were sold at roadside stands everywhere around there.

Blech!!! I was so disappointed when I tried my first one. Never have acquired the taste for those things. ;-p