Health care providers oppose GOP bill to repeal Obamacare

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Washington (CNN)The nation's leading hospital and doctor groups are lining up against the Republican health care bill, saying they fear millions of Americans will lose coverage.

The influential industry organizations, which helped the Affordable Care Act pass in 2010, are particularly worried about the bill's potential impact on lower-income and vulnerable Americans. These folks have been helped by the law's expansion of Medicaid and its subsidies that are more generous for those lower on the income ladder.

The GOP bill would eliminate the funding for Medicaid expansion and curtail federal support for the entire Medicaid program. Also, it would replace the Obamacare subsidies with refundable tax credits that would likely provide less assistance for lower-income policyholders who buy their own coverage.

"It appears that the effort to restructure the Medicaid program will have the effect of making significant reductions in a program that provides services to our most vulnerable populations, and already pays providers significantly less than the cost of providing care," wrote Richard J. Pollack, CEO of the American Hospital Association.

The association voiced concern about the lack of Congressional Budget Office score that would estimate the bill's impact on coverage levels.

The American Medical Association acknowledged in a letter to two House committee leaders that "there are problems with the ACA that must be addressed." But it said cannot support the Republican effort to repeal and replace major provisions of the law. "

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/politics/american-medical-association-health-care-bill/index.html?sr=twCNN030917american-medical-association-health-care-bill0139PMVODtopLink&linkId=35286282

glhs837

Power with Control
So, the groups that used their support as blackmail against the Dems to ensure that Obamacare provided huge govt protected profit mechanisms are against changing that? Let me see, I'm sure I left my shocked face mask around here somewhere.

This_person

Yeah, I would tend to think that if the insurance companies are not fans, it's probably fairly good. The insurance companies love the mandate. You'd think they'd love a mandate paid to them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
These folks have been helped by the law's expansion of Medicaid and its subsidies that are more generous for those lower on the income ladder.
...while the rest of us that don't receive Federal handouts have seen our ability to purchase affordable insurance completely vanish.

Hijinx

Do they call paying $5,000 dollars a year for a policy with a $5,000 dollar deductible being insured?

tommyjo

Yeah, I would tend to think that if the insurance companies are not fans, it's probably fairly good. The insurance companies love the mandate. You'd think they'd love a mandate paid to them.

Huh? The lot of you cry piss moan and are overjoyed to point out that insurance companies are leaving the system in droves.

Now you state that insurance companies LOVE the mandate?

Which is it? Either the companies love Obamacare and are participating in the system or it is unprofitable and they aren't. It is one or the other...not both.

SamSpade

For the record - I think their new proposal blows, big time.
I don't know why they bothered, except possibly to get something out there while they work on what they REALLY want.

This_person

Huh? The lot of you cry piss moan and are overjoyed to point out that insurance companies are leaving the system in droves.

Now you state that insurance companies LOVE the mandate?

Which is it? Either the companies love Obamacare and are participating in the system or it is unprofitable and they aren't. It is one or the other...not both.

They are leaving in droves because - and I know this is a shocker to you - the regulations are horrible and people would still rather pay the fine than join. Their expected gains did not materialize. This is why you see as much as 120% increase in premiums over one year - they have to cover #### they don't want to and not as many people are joining as they anticipated. Add to that the tax on Cadillac plans, and businesses are reducing their coverage.

Obamacare was bad, and this bill does only a tiny bit to improve it, but certainly does nothing to improve it for insurance companies.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
All of my Trump voter friends, which includes small business owners, oppose this plan. :shrug:

I don't get how they haven't had a comprehensive plan ready when Trump took office. Were all those "Repeal Obamacare" votes symbolic or did they think they'd get away with just campaigning against the Affordable Care Act their entire careers or what?

And Paul Ryan should step down as House Speaker. He has no clue how to govern.

This_person

All of my Trump voter friends, which includes small business owners, oppose this plan. :shrug:

I don't get how they haven't had a comprehensive plan ready when Trump took office. Were all those "Repeal Obamacare" votes symbolic or did they think they'd get away with just campaigning against the Affordable Care Act their entire careers or what?

As has been noted on these forums countless numbers of times, there have been many plans, many versions of different plans.

If they had 60 in the senate, we wouldn't see this crap.

But, to repeal Obamacare and replace it right now, it requires doing so within the reconciliation process so only 51 votes are needed. To do so, much of the plans that are out there needs to be stripped to fit that window. Unlike just deeming something passed, as Obamacare was, the GOP is actually trying to do this legally, and successfully.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

Both of them...?

PeoplesElbow

So I thought the health care providers were money grubbing, opportunistic, leeches, isn't something they oppose a good thing?

glhs837

Power with Control
Were all those "Repeal Obamacare" votes symbolic

Of course they were, and they knew it. another shining example of why hiring politicians is a bad thing. Millions of dollars and man hours wasted on looking like they were doing something instead of actually doing something.