St Mary's Hospital billing

Woostar

Does anyone know how to get a straight answer from St. Mary's Hospital about the cost of an upcoming procedure? All I need to know is what facility fee they charge (which of course my insurance won't cover). Their billing people send me to patient accounting, and patient accounting sends me to billing. The patient advocate number just hangs up on me.

Woostar

I started with hospital billing - 410-933-2424, which sent me to accounts payable - 410-933-2330, which sent me to patient accounting (forwarded, no # given), which sent me back to accounts payable, which hung up on me.

In the days of $5k deductibles, how is it this hard to get a ballpark idea on costs? Why do they not have a person or department designated to deal with this?

Thanks for the 301-475-6033 number - I left a message on their machine. I'll take a look down the contact page to see if there are any other possible departments.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I started with hospital billing - 410-933-2424, which sent me to accounts payable - 410-933-2330, which sent me to patient accounting (forwarded, no # given), which sent me back to accounts payable, which hung up on me.

In the days of $5k deductibles, how is it this hard to get a ballpark idea on costs? Why do they not have a person or department designated to deal with this?

Thanks for the 301-475-6033 number - I left a message on their machine. I'll take a look down the contact page to see if there are any other possible departments.

De nada.....

SamSpade

I'm fairly disgusted with how they do their billing.
Twice I've had deductions taken from my flex account - and waited for their bill to arrive.
MONTHS later - from a collection agency, claiming I didn't answer their bills. Even though I checked every day.

So I contact them on future bills - and I get billed as though every member of my family has a different account and different insurance.
I have to argue with them, so I don't get collection agencies saying, I never paid. I don't know how they can stay in business.

So - *I* might owe them nothing - but my seven year old owes them a hundred - even though they know she doesn't own the insurance.
Drives me crazy. But they're not the worst - the big city hospitals are. I can get a bill from them six months later or more.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I'm fairly disgusted with how they do their billing.
Twice I've had deductions taken from my flex account - and waited for their bill to arrive.
MONTHS later - from a collection agency, claiming I didn't answer their bills. Even though I checked every day.

So I contact them on future bills - and I get billed as though every member of my family has a different account and different insurance.
I have to argue with them, so I don't get collection agencies saying, I never paid. I don't know how they can stay in business.

So - *I* might owe them nothing - but my seven year old owes them a hundred - even though they know she doesn't own the insurance.
Drives me crazy. But they're not the worst - the big city hospitals are. I can get a bill from them six months later or more.

Almost 13 years ago, my youngest was flown from St Mary's Hospital to Children's Hospital. When we got the bill from Children's (around $90,000), we asked for an itemized bill just to see what all we were being charged for. They added "Cold Blue" charges at least twice. When we questioned it, saying our son never coded and if he did, we were never told, they said, "Well, we had the equipment on hand if that happened." Meaning it wasn't used but it was in the room with him "just in case". We called BS on that and a lot of other stuff and ended up reaching an amount that was far less. In fact, Children's accepted whatever our insurance paid out and we owed nothing by the end of it.

Woostar

As in.... GO TO THE HOSPITAL AND ASK instead of calling them. It's harder to tell a person to pizz off to their face than it is over the phone.

Fair point. I'd like to avoid having to take a full day off of work to deal with this (and with my luck the person responsible would be out that day ), and it should be so easy!