Hey Larry! Stephen Hawking has been reading your posts!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Without a ‘world government’ technology will destroy us, says Stephen Hawking

'This aggression may destroy us all by nuclear or biological war. We need to control this inherited instinct by our logic and reason'

Okay, maybe not exactly but he's on the same train of thought.

He suggests that "some form of world government” could be ideal for the job, but would itself create more problems.

“But that might become a tyranny," he added. “All this may sound a bit doom-laden but I am an optimist. I think the human race will rise to meet these challenges.”

*Might* become tyranny. Might.

:lol:

#1, I am against "world government". Like, super duper strongly against.

#2, while at some point "the machines" may become "self-aware", this is not an imminent danger.

#3, who cares? Man will adapt and evolve, or die out. It's natural order. And even if you don't believe in that sort of thing and think God is running the show, then killing us off and replacing us with machines is obviously His plan, so you have no choice but to roll with it.

This_person

Without a ‘world government’ technology will destroy us, says Stephen Hawking

'This aggression may destroy us all by nuclear or biological war. We need to control this inherited instinct by our logic and reason'

Okay, maybe not exactly but he's on the same train of thought.

He suggests that "some form of world government” could be ideal for the job, but would itself create more problems.

“But that might become a tyranny," he added. “All this may sound a bit doom-laden but I am an optimist. I think the human race will rise to meet these challenges.”

*Might* become tyranny. Might.

:lol:

#1, I am against "world government". Like, super duper strongly against.

#2, while at some point "the machines" may become "self-aware", this is not an imminent danger.

#3, who cares? Man will adapt and evolve, or die out. It's natural order. And even if you don't believe in that sort of thing and think God is running the show, then killing us off and replacing us with machines is obviously His plan, so you have no choice but to roll with it.

:lol: Your #3 is funny.

Again, at least since Pres. Carter, the idea of a world government has been seen as the only solution to prove we are a civilized society. Recall in the letter on Voyager he wrote "We human beings are still divided into nation states, but these states are rapidly becoming a global civilization." (Emphasis mine) It is the view of the few that to be civilized, we must all speak multiple languages, not just tolerate but accept everyone in every way (except those who do not think like "us"), and be governed under a single global rule. Short of that, we are still Neanderthals.

Wishbone

Give people power enough to actually rule the world and euthanasia of the infirmed becomes a likely outcome.

He better build himself a robot army.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Okay, maybe not exactly but he's on the same train of thought. it.

Given the ONE thing I have consistently said I do like about Trump is his America First, #### everyone else attitude, I am clueless how you find anything in common with Hawking's point. Further, given me sorta well known animus to a certain major political family and their New World Order Globalism attitude, again, I have no idea how you make ANY connection with a piece advocating for a world gummint. Lastly, I compliment Reagan for his greatest achievement; reaffirming the US as the shining city on the hill, the leader, by example, for others to follow.

Best guess is that you're trying to equate job lose through technological advancements and what we, here in the US ought to do about it, with me advocating global gummint. And that fails, too and for the same reason; I'm not and never have been pro globalism.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Probably because of his prediction that the machines are going to take over everything and humans will become obsolete.

I never said that either. I said work, most of it, not all of it, will become obsolete and, by definition, figuring out what WE ought to do about it states, plainly, the machines WILL be working FOR us. Not bossing us.