Md. Has A Budget Problem, But No One Can Agree On Why

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Md. Has A Budget Problem, But No One Can Agree On Why

Date: 03-09-2017 04:28 PM

Summary: Despite Md.'s apparent prosperity, the state has a perennial budget problem.

Click here for the full story...

tommyjo

This really isn't that hard to figure out.

What has happened in the past decade to impact the state budget???

The Baby Boomers are entering Medicare and Medicaid eligibility...(states have responsibility for these costs too)...

Baby Boomers are retiring...this includes state workers who are claiming pensions...

More people are purchasing online thereby reducing sales tax revenue...

Homes are sitting vacant due to this state's ridiculous judicial foreclosure rules...so property tax revenue to the counties is down...which means counties need more state assistance.

None of this is really difficult to figure out (except for folks like Hijinx and This Person in the previous post)

Spending is up due to an aging population and revenue is down due to shifting consumer purchase patterns as well as the hangover from the housing bust.

Hijinx

The Baby Boomers are entering Medicare and Medicaid eligibility...(states have responsibility for these costs too)...

Baby Boomers are retiring...this includes state workers who are claiming pensions...

Homes are sitting vacant due to this state's ridiculous judicial foreclosure rules...so property tax revenue to the counties is down...which means counties need more state assistance.

None of this is really difficult to figure out (except for folks like Hijinx and This Person in the previous post)

Spending is up due to an aging population and revenue is down due to shifting consumer purchase patterns as well as the hangover from the housing bust.

She loves me, but I am straight and married. Sorry about that Babe.

stgislander

PREMO Member

Did you post this insight in the Comments section of the article? I'm sure the reporter and those in the Legislature are dying to know the problem.

This_person

Did I post in here and I (and the internet) missed it? :lol:

But, I would agree that it is pretty easy to figure out.

First, they must have projected tax revenues, so see where they were off on that. Figure out why they were off on that.

Second, figure out what was the projected spending, and the actual spending, and compare. Figure out where and why there were off on that.

Now, ensure the projected spending is less than the projected revenue after resolving the issues.

TJ, please provide a time chart showing your claims above. If not, it may be a good opinion, or not, we'll never really know, will we?