Emerald Coast, aka the Redneck Riviera

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We leave for Panama City Beach tomorrow and I'm REALLY!!! excited. I've heard so many great things about that area and we'll be there for a full month. Anyone been there and want to give us some suggestions?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Haven't been down that way in over 30 years, but there was some great fishing just south of there from the Mexico Beach pier. :yay:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
We leave for Panama City Beach tomorrow and I'm REALLY!!! excited. I've heard so many great things about that area and we'll be there for a full month. Anyone been there and want to give us some suggestions?

It's crazy there during spring break..come to the Keys, I'll take Monello fishing, you can hang out at the pool.......good food. Good wine

Go to Pensacola and and see the naval air museum. They have some incredible airplanes there. Including 1 from Pax. There's a Corsair there that you can read about the recovery and restoration on and then see it in person, which is cool.

There's a state park near Destin, Topsail Hill Preserve, that has RV parking, nice pool, beautiful beach, sand dollars in the ocean, etc.

I have a cousin and his wife that are both pharmacists at CVS stores in Destin and another cousin in Pensacola.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I like the Panama City area; get to spend time there on occasion due to Navy projects. I've never been there during spring break though....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like the Panama City area; get to spend time there on occasion due to Navy projects. I've never been there during spring break though....

We're unimpressed with their level of drunken debauchery. Either they're a tame bunch, or they do it all behind closed doors so oldsters like me don't catch them. We thought the bars would be way more packed. Traffic is heavy but not unmanageable - it was worse in Sarasota. They seem to be confining themselves to the beach and Waffle House.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Back in my navy boot camp days I took a PT test to see if I could qualify for diving duty. I passed the test but for 1 reason or another I didn't pull the trigger and just went to my originally contracted A school. Had I switched I would have been sent to Panama City Beach for training. The base is a short run up the road. I can think of a lot worse places to be stationed than here. Nice, white beaches and a continual parade of 20 somethings. There isn't much wave action on the gulf side, but there are surf board shops locally. I don't know where they go to surf around here.