Recessed Lighting

NBF

Need to have about six recessed lights installed in a 12x14 room or so that does not have any existing power to ceiling. Does anyone have any idea as to the cost I'm looking at minus materials? Any good references out there for someone that can do the work in a day or two? Thanks

vince77

Need to have about six recessed lights installed in a 12x14 room or so that does not have any existing power to ceiling. Does anyone have any idea as to the cost I'm looking at minus materials? Any good references out there for someone that can do the work in a day or two? Thanks

I'd figure on $125 a light

NBF

Wow

Is this a handy man price or a full blown company with nice little white vans? Wow. That's expensive. Guess it'll take some time and I'm paying for a person that has a electrician's license. Is $125 per can inclusive?

Thanks for the input. No referrals?

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

Don't believe a quote from anyone who doesn't come out and look the situation over in some detail - especially an off-the-cuff cost "per can". Any competent person will need to determine where the power is located, what kind of access they have from above, how much drywall damage and repair will be needed, and much more. It could be cheap, and it could be expensive.

And find out if they have a MD home improvement contractor's or electrical contractor's license.

NBF

Thanks For The Input and Advice

Don't believe a quote from anyone who doesn't come out and look the situation over in some detail - especially an off-the-cuff cost "per can". Any competent person will need to determine where the power is located, what kind of access they have from above, how much drywall damage and repair will be needed, and much more. It could be cheap, and it could be expensive.

And find out if they have a MD home improvement contractor's or electrical contractor's license.

I forgot to say it's located on first floor too so that will most definitely raise the cost as they might have to drill through 3 or so floor joists.

Goldenhawk

I forgot to say it's located on first floor too so that will most definitely raise the cost as they might have to drill through 3 or so floor joists.

Good guess. They may also find plumbing or wiring in the way of your planned locations. And getting wiring routed to a suitable wall switch will be much more tricky.

In short, there's a LOT to consider, so you really need an on-site consultation.

I'm a big fan of Jay Dameron Electrical (JADEC). He's done about a dozen projects for me in the last 20+ years, from full-house to minor shed wiring. Good guy, very trustworthy, and excellent quality workmanship.

Forkian

That's cheap! For all of the work that sounds like will be required, I think he will end up paying much more than this to get it done right. Electrical, parts, maybe plumbing issues and drywall...these things add up quick! My guess would be closer to the $2k mark.

Please let us know when you get a quote.

Last edited:

NBF

Varied Prices

That's cheap! For all of the work that sounds like will be required, I think he will end up paying much more than this to get it done right. Electrical, parts, maybe plumbing issues and drywall...these things add up quick! My guess would be closer to the $2k mark.

Please let us know when you get a quote.

There's a big range of prices for this job. It's interesting to see everyone's advice and it's been helpful. I'll let you guys know when I get my quotes in. Wonder if I bought all materials and there was only a need to cut holes for the cans and to fish the power and to drill through floor joists with no complications, would this change the costs in anyone's opinion?

NBF

vince77

There's a big range of prices for this job. It's interesting to see everyone's advice and it's been helpful. I'll let you guys know when I get my quotes in. Wonder if I bought all materials and there was only a need to cut holes for the cans and to fish the power and to drill through floor joists with no complications, would this change the costs in anyone's opinion?

NBF

My estimate $125 a can (6) was based on your materials.

Chris0nllyn

NBF

Not by much. Most contractors don't like using materials purchased by a homeowner.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is this a handy man price or a full blown company with nice little white vans? Wow. That's expensive. Guess it'll take some time and I'm paying for a person that has a electrician's license. Is $125 per can inclusive?

Thanks for the input. No referrals?

you want a licensed electrician, not a handyman

oh, and on buying your own materials, you might want to make sure you are buying the right parts for the job and they are the correct grade.

I'd wait for the estimate and work that out with the contractor you choose.

Chris0nllyn

I personally think this is an easy job for a handyman and you don't need a licensed electrician to wire black to black, white to white, and bare to bare.

But if it's worth the added peace of mind, go for it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I personally think this is an easy job for a handyman and you don't need a licensed electrician to wire black to black, white to white, and bare to bare.

But if it's worth the added peace of mind, go for it.

Homeowner would have to run new wire to the circuit breaker panel.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Homeowner would have to run new wire to the circuit breaker panel.

No way..

I wouldn't anyways.. Pull the power from another light switch in the room (or even in the same wall in an adjoining room) or from a plug..

For a living room, or a bedroom you aren't going to get the power pull from the plugs that will dim or strobe the lights like you will if you pull power from a kitchen plug for lights in the kitchen.. or a laundry...

NBF

This is getting interesting

No way..

I wouldn't anyways.. Pull the power from another light switch in the room (or even in the same wall in an adjoining room) or from a plug..

For a living room, or a bedroom you aren't going to get the power pull from the plugs that will dim or strobe the lights like you will if you pull power from a kitchen plug for lights in the kitchen.. or a laundry...

Thanks folks for keeping this conversation going. It's getting more interesting for sure. I do have about three receptacles in this room so I'm thinking they'll be able to fish the new wiring across the ceiling and down the wall.

NBF

Chris0nllyn

Thanks folks for keeping this conversation going. It's getting more interesting for sure. I do have about three receptacles in this room so I'm thinking they'll be able to fish the new wiring across the ceiling and down the wall.

NBF

Assuming those 3 recepts are on their own circuit, that's most likely what an electrician will do.

Receptacle --> Switch --> Lights.

They'll have to find the nearest receptacle to where you want the light switch, go up the wall, drill through the top plate and into the floor joists. At some point, they'll have to cut a trough of drywall out in order to drill through the joists (it depends which way they run). Not a hard job, just a little messy.

I imagine some electricians patch drywall, but they may subcontract it out to someone.