'lack of diversity' on TV damaged her self-esteem as a child

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But Game Of Thrones' Nathalie Emmanuel is most thankful for roles that promote diversity, because the lack thereof on TV during her own childhood directly affected her self-esteem.

[clip]

'For me, when I was growing up, not seeing anyone on television that looked like me or that I could identify with was really hard, and that can affect someone's self-esteem hugely.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Thrones-Nathalie-Emmanuel-unrecognisable.html

:twitch:

luvmygdaughters

:yawn: So tired of hearing these "poor" celebrities biotch about everything, while making an unbelievable amount of money for playing pretend.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She's young, so I don't see how she can say she never saw anyone who "looked like her" on TV growing up. There were a ton of really good shows featuring black and Hispanic families when she was a child. She grew up in Great Britain, so maybe it was different there, but American TV had a ton of diversity in the 80s and 90s.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What did people blame their low self esteem on before the TV was invented?

SamSpade

As long as diversity means - and ONLY means - more black people - I can't be bothered. I've had far too many friends from too many cultures get run over by diversity because - while they were Arab or Indian or Vietnamese or Colombian - it made no difference. Diversity didn't mean them at all.