AT hiker blows hand off on trail

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Who hikes with dynamite. Yes I'm looking at you Misfit.

A hiker on the Appalachian Trail near the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary lost his left hand Wednesday night in an explosion that was set off as he tried to start a campfire, officials said.

"He was trying to start a fire and ended up grabbing the wrong thing out of his backpack," said Ethan Kunkel, deputy chief of the Kempton Fire Company. "What he grabbed was an explosive and it blew his hand off."

hoping this guy is right handed

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
What explosive looks like a fire starting tool????

You never used a flare to start a camp fire? Shoot...we've been using expired flares ( you accumulate a sheit ton of those when you own a bunch of boats) to light camp fires for a long time.

That said...I never had any dynamite sticks in the same place as a flare...so...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You never used a flare to start a camp fire? Shoot...we've been using expired flares ( you accumulate a sheit ton of those when you own a bunch of boats) to light camp fires for a long time.

That said...I never had any dynamite sticks in the same place as a flare...so...

Never had a flare gun. That does make sense, though.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No, I'm talking about stick flares...the kind you hold in your hand one set on the ground.

That's the last thing I want in my back pack, an old nasty, dirty ass flare with a wrapper rotting.

One of the things enjoy is building a fire from scratch anyway.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's the last thing I want in my back pack, an old nasty, dirty ass flare with a wrapper rotting.

One of the things enjoy is building a fire from scratch anyway.

I carry em in a container in the go buggy ...our camping equipment trailer. They come in real handy for starting a fire in a hurry, especially if the weather is crappy. Likes I said..I accumulate a ton of them that are pristine like new because marine flares have a very short validity period; get caught with no current flares on your boat and ticket is guaranteed.

Something doesn't add up here. While a stick of dynamite and a road flare might look alike in a backpack, I find it hard to believe it was simple confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't dynamite require a percussive event (ie blasting cap) or similar to trigger the explosion? Dynamite is a relatively stable compound and from what I've read, doesn't go off by just trying to light it. Also, a flare has a strike lighter on the end to light it and dynamite does not, so .... I really find it hard to make a confusion which leads to an explosive event. You have to really try to make dynamite go off.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Something doesn't add up here. While a stick of dynamite and a road flare might look alike in a backpack, I find it hard to believe it was simple confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't dynamite require a percussive event (ie blasting cap) or similar to trigger the explosion? Dynamite is a relatively stable compound and from what I've read, doesn't go off by just trying to light it. Also, a flare has a strike lighter on the end to light it and dynamite does not, so .... I really find it hard to make a confusion which leads to an explosive event. You have to really try to make dynamite go off.

Who knows? Fatigue? A little delirium, goes a LONG way. :shrug:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We camp a lot...and even though it's "tent camping", we definitely don't rough it. The trailer in this pic is jammed full of camping equipment, including a field kitchen that is more extensive by far than the one in our house..LOL.

rolling out 3.jpg

black dog

Free America

Yes, and you can still buy dynamite that you ignite with a burning fuse, it will have a blasting cap at the end of the fuse in the top of the dynamite and that will trigger the ignition of the dynamite.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not a dirt bike one. SMH

Those go on a different trailer and behind a different truck. This one... Plus the other vehicles..the Early Broncos..they go behind my F-450. Geez Larry...

rolling out (2).jpg Honda quads.jpg mobile rig.jpg F450 and trailer.jpg

still looking for the pics of the KTM and Honda 250s..

Ahh..here they are....

IMG_0367.jpg

Last edited:

nutz

Those go on a different trailer and behind a different truck. This one... Plus the other vehicles..the Early Broncos..they go behind my F-450. Geez Larry...

View attachment 117745 View attachment 117746 View attachment 117748 View attachment 117749

still looking for the pics of the KTM and Honda 250s..

Ahh..here they are....

View attachment 117750

You've got some nice stuff in these pics. I really like the rack/roll bar on the welding truck. The cage in the buggy is nicely done also. What are you using for a bender?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You've got some nice stuff in these pics. I really like the rack/roll bar on the welding truck. The cage in the buggy is nicely done also. What are you using for a bender?

I have a 20-ton "pipe crusher" that I used on that large OD aluminum tubing. For the 2" and under cage tubing work (and boat aluminum, like T-tops) I have a Pro 105 mandrel bender, air-over-hydraulic.

You've got some nice stuff in these pics.

LOL..thanks. That's only a sample...I've got a "toy" problem.