Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Budget proposes cutting funding for the Chesapeake Bay Clean up

Quote Originally Posted by somdwatch View Post
    MD, VA, DE should fund cleaning it up, not a federal program. I wonder if the feds even require the tracking of expenditures towards this.
    Plus the other states that are included in the Bay's watershed?
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Everyone wants to see cuts....as long as nothing they are attached to gets cut.

Typical.
    I used to be a big supporter and advocate for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. both financially and politically. Now? Not so much. I have slowly come to the conclusion that the Foundation isn't really as interested in cleaning up the Bay as it is in strangling the commercial uses of it and the land surrounding it to turn everything into a recreational area only the wealthy can afford.

Having said that, my home state of PA needs to do more to get a handle on the pollution it sends down the Susquehanna.

Also, if the Bay is "saved" CBF will be out of business.
    I liked Calvert County better when there were only two stoplights.

3. 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by somdwatch View Post
    MD, VA, DE should fund cleaning it up, not a federal program. I wonder if the feds even require the tracking of expenditures towards this.
    A good part of the pollution comes from NY, PA and WV. Why should only the states around the bay bear the cost for pollution sent across their border ?

If there was ever a federal environmental issue, this is it.

6. 03-17-2017, 07:53 PM
    Reason
    Wrong thread

Is Trump still trying to cut Coast Guard funding too? If so, seems the smugglers would by-pass the new border wall and just bring it in via boat?

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    A good part of the pollution comes from NY, PA and WV. Why should only the states around the bay bear the cost for pollution sent across their border ?

If there was ever a federal environmental issue, this is it.
    Do you mean New Jersey? New York's not even close to being Chesapeake watershed.
    Last edited by spr1975wshs; 03-18-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    Do you meman New Jersey? New York's not even close to being Chesapeake watershed.

You can see from the map Northbeaxhperson posted that NY is in the Chesapeake watershed

I personally don't think having the funds come from donations would ever amount to $76 miilion. At least 6 states and DC contribute to the pollution in the bay and probably twice that benefit from the bay in terms of seafood alone.

I think this is an area where it helps to have the federal government involved and would like to see funding increased. Not removed

Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    Do you meman New Jersey? New York's not even close to being Chesapeake watershed.
    A portion of the Sushquehana watershed is in upstate NY.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Thank you, NorthBeachPerso, CalvertNewb and officeguy, wasn't aware that river system went that far north.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Members who have read this thread: 100