Trump Budget proposes cutting funding for the Chesapeake Bay Clean up

glhs837

Power with Control
So much of this stuff shouldn't be federal to begin with. Like the mobster extorting money from all the local business and then throwing a block party.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Everyone wants to see cuts....as long as nothing they are attached to gets cut.

Typical.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I am curious as to how much the State of MD and VA kick in above and beyond what the Federal Gov't pays. Regardless though, I'm fine with the cut. Raise that $73M of lost taxpayer money through private donations and fundraisers. I'm sure they can come up with any number of clever ways to raise the cash.

CalvertNewb

So much of this stuff shouldn't be federal to begin with. Like the mobster extorting money from all the local business and then throwing a block party.

I don't really get your example. Are you saying the funds are just used to party and not for actual bay cleanup?

To me it seems that coordinating six states and DC which make up the Bay watershed would make sense to fall under Federal jurisdiction ( less waste and redundancy)then having all 6 and DC negotiating and organizing among themselves.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't really get your example. Are you saying the funds are just used to party and not for actual bay cleanup?

To me it seems that coordinating six states and DC which make up the Bay watershed would make sense to fall under Federal jurisdiction ( less waste and redundancy)then having all 6 and DC negotiating and organizing among themselves.

The six states involved should do it themselves as a team. No need for the fed, and it's overhead to be involved in what's a local matter. The "party" is the fed siphoning money it took from the states in the name of taxes, using some portion of it for overhead then dispenbsing it back to the states for these efforts. It's a pretty rare case where federal involvement is responsible for less waste and redundancy.

I am curious as to how much the State of MD and VA kick in above and beyond what the Federal Gov't pays. Regardless though, I'm fine with the cut. Raise that $73M of lost taxpayer money through private donations and fundraisers. I'm sure they can come up with any number of clever ways to raise the cash.
Exactly my thoughts...:yeahthat:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Exactly my thoughts...:yeahthat:

I would like to propose an adopt an oyster program, or adopt a crab. I'd pay a monthly stipend to fend for my future dinner. :shrug:

You could also run competitions between large donor's. Create teams and have a competition on who can raise the most money, or who can rally the most volunteers. It's really not rocket science.

What would be great is if Trump donated a substantial amount of his own money to the foundation. Lead by example and such.

somdwatch

MD, VA, DE should fund cleaning it up, not a federal program. I wonder if the feds even require the tracking of expenditures towards this.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
They have been "cleaning" up the Bay for 50 years and Billions of dollars for what?
It hasn't worked.

Our Bay is dying from a Thousand Cuts.....money is not the answer..

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Everyone wants to see cuts....as long as nothing they are attached to gets cut.

Typical.

I used to be a big supporter and advocate for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. both financially and politically. Now? Not so much. I have slowly come to the conclusion that the Foundation isn't really as interested in cleaning up the Bay as it is in strangling the commercial uses of it and the land surrounding it to turn everything into a recreational area only the wealthy can afford.

Having said that, my home state of PA needs to do more to get a handle on the pollution it sends down the Susquehanna.

Also, if the Bay is "saved" CBF will be out of business.

officeguy

MD, VA, DE should fund cleaning it up, not a federal program. I wonder if the feds even require the tracking of expenditures towards this.

A good part of the pollution comes from NY, PA and WV. Why should only the states around the bay bear the cost for pollution sent across their border ?

If there was ever a federal environmental issue, this is it.

Forkian

Is Trump still trying to cut Coast Guard funding too? If so, seems the smugglers would by-pass the new border wall and just bring it in via boat?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
A good part of the pollution comes from NY, PA and WV. Why should only the states around the bay bear the cost for pollution sent across their border ?

If there was ever a federal environmental issue, this is it.

Do you mean New Jersey? New York's not even close to being Chesapeake watershed.

Last edited:

CalvertNewb

I personally don't think having the funds come from donations would ever amount to $76 miilion. At least 6 states and DC contribute to the pollution in the bay and probably twice that benefit from the bay in terms of seafood alone.

I think this is an area where it helps to have the federal government involved and would like to see funding increased. Not removed

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Thank you, NorthBeachPerso, CalvertNewb and officeguy, wasn't aware that river system went that far north.