Favorite Nursery/ especially Local plants

CalvertNewb

I'm going to try to spruce up the yard a bit this spring.

I'm hoping to use local species as much as possible in the hopes that the deer will leave them alone and I can use less water and spend less time maintaining them.

Anyone have any recommendations on growers or nursery's?

Thanks

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I don't know of any local that have native plants anymore. There was one in St. Leonard but it closed several years ago. I know Homestead Gardens in Davidsonville did but I haven"t been there in years. I will see what I can find that is nearby.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We just moved away from Calvert after living there for 20 years, and now live in Montgomery.
We have a split rail fence now on 1/3 acre, (in Calvert we lived on 5 acres with no fence; it doesn't matter) and the deer jump over it. Quite amazing. I fought the deer, and the deer won. Don't plant hostas; that is like the salad bar for deer. It is a shame because hostas take care of themselves and become bigger and more beautiful every year on their own. Oh, well. I used all kinds of critter-away; it would work for a while, but not really; in Mont and Cal. Happy gardening. :smile:

I still get forwarded mail from Wentworths (try calling them; they are pretty good at what they do and may have some answers for you). Miss them, and Calvert. It has always been a horticultural shock to me to walk out in the mornings and see the damage, but then again, I live by live and let live, and say our landscaping is the natural look. :lol:

http://wentworthnursery.com/

Last edited:

CalvertNewb

My neighbor told me the deer in his yard do the same thing. It's amazing. I've seen them in the yard so I'm sure i will have to fight them off all summer

I'll try wentworth.