Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Dept. Tanker Truck Rolls Over in Calvert Sat. a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    The Southern County's should have gone to a paid fire department decades ago and put this driving with " Your Hair on Fire " to sleep forever.
    I disagree on that point. Did the math a while ago on what we pay for fire protection in SoMD vs. counties with career departments. We are getting a great deal with the volunteer system and as long as there are people willing to spend a night at the firehouse to help their neighbors, it would be foolish to go to a career system. We are not california (the state) where money grows on nut-trees and 30min drive time to a fire is acceptable because the career departments are stretched so thin. The system here works reasonably well and we shouldn't pour out the kid with the bathwater just because some volunteers are a bit over-eager.

What we need is vehicle recorders on the firetrucks and command staff willing to review tapes and act if unsafe behavior is observed.

Prince George's County fiscal 2017 fire dept buget $180,000,000.00
    Does not take into effect any pension payments to capital outlays....
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    We are getting a great deal with the volunteer system
    I'm not convinced of this. We in St. Mary's have to have a special recruiter in the county just for fire/EMS, separate from the recruiters for all other county positions. We give $3K off of taxes.

Wouldn't you rather have people who are so in love with fighting fires that they made it a career, not a hobby?
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

It takes a while for an investigation to be done and for facts to come out.

***UPDATE*** Press Release for Dunkirk VFD Tanker Accident
    Calvert County Sheriff's OfficeSaturday, March 18, 2017

***Lieutenant Marty Sealey has been released from the hospital and is home recovering. Lieutenant John Faulkner, Jr. is expected to be released from the hospital later this evening.***

On March 18, 2017 at approximately 8:10 a.m. members of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office and Crash Reconstruction Team responded to Robinson Road in Huntingtown, Maryland for a report of an overturned fire department tanker truck.

It was learned that Dunkirk Volunteer Fire Department Tanker 5 overturned while responding to 3725 Robinson Road in Huntingtown for a residential structure fire. Lieutenant Marty Sealey was operating the tanker at the time of the crash. Lieutenant John Faulkner Jr. also occupied the tanker at the time of the crash. Lt. Sealey was transported by MSP Trooper 2 to MedStar in Washington, D.C. He has been listed in critical but stable condition. Lt. Faulkner was initially transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital. However, he has subsequently been transferred to MedStar in Washington, D.C., where he is also listed in critical but stable condition.

A preliminary investigation revealed that that as Tanker 5 was progressing through a curve on Robinson Road a tire failure, with a “blowout” and full tread separation, occurred. At this time the investigation into the cause of tire failure is ongoing; however, it is apparent that the tire failure is a factor that significantly contributed to this collision. Tanker 5 was en-route to the fire ground and was fully loaded at the time of the rollover. Tanker 5 is capable of carrying 3000 gallons of water.

Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Crash Reconstruction Team is conducting an investigation into the exact cause of the tire failure and the collision. Sgt. V. Bortchevsky of CRT is assigned this investigation.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/calve...41621175880368

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I'm not convinced of this. We in St. Mary's have to have a special recruiter in the county just for fire/EMS, separate from the recruiters for all other county positions.
    That volunteer coordinator costs the county less than a single career firefighter. Above someone mentioned '50k' for a career FF which is a fraction of the actual expense after salary, health insurance, pension and disability. I would have to dig into the PG, AA and MoCo budget, but I would expect that the 'loaded' cost for a career FF in this area is closer to 100k. Also, remember, career means that people get civil service steps and those incomes go up over time.

We give $3K off of taxes.
    Someone correct me, but as I read it, we give volunteers the opportunity to take 3k off their maryland adjusted gross income, not their tax obligation. That's worth 150 bucks on a good day.

Volunteers are not 'free' to the state. They have to be equipped, there is the small tax deduction and a small pension contribution for those who volunteer for something like 20 years. Also, there are insurance expenses etc. The volunteer training at MFRI is being paid out of the $13 surcharge on car registrations (along with MSP aviation command). Everything together is still a fraction of the cost of a career FF.

Wouldn't you rather have people who are so in love with fighting fires that they made it a career, not a hobby?
    Not really. I prefer to go by objective data. What I see are very good response times for a rural area and really no indication that the volunteers in the area are not doing a good job. They invest a lot of their time into training and most stations are busy enough that the FFs remain proficient at their job. It is way more than a hobby for most.

Going to a career fire service would be a huge investment. All those snazzy firehouses: worthless for a career department. The current network of stations exists based on historical growth of the area, not because someone mapped out call volumes and travel times and found the most optimal location for the stations. I believe SMC has 6 companies right now, a career department would probably have to make do with 3 or 4 for purely fiscal reasons. Those stations would have to be newly built and equipped. If you want to see the county portion of your tax bill bloat to the same level as the school district portion, go ahead and get a career department.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post

a rear retread separating will never cause that under NORMAL driving conditions.
    and it does look like that one rear tire is a little smaller than the rest.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I'm not convinced of this. We in St. Mary's have to have a special recruiter in the county just for fire/EMS, separate from the recruiters for all other county positions. We give $3K off of taxes.

we could not afford it. You might be able to afford a couple of drivers to be ready at all times, but county couldn't cover the cost of a multiple shifts of just a driver for all the fire departments in the county.
    When we have the population and population density of a PG county, then maybe we can afford full time, paid, firefighters.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

From the Southern MD Weather News FB page:

LOCAL CALVERT COUNTY FIREFIGHTER CONTACTS SOMDWXNEWS REGARDING ALL THE PUBLICS SPECULATION OF DUNKIRK'S TANKER 5 OVERTURNING SATURDAY MORNING. #PLEASEREAD

I would like to make an update to yesterdays accident involving Dunkirk fire departments tanker, as a fellow emergency vehicle driver for over 30 years i can say and the Calvert County Sheriffs department press release has already stated. That this was a freak accident as a result of a tire blow out on the vehicle. The driver is a veteran driver with over 1000 hours driving that particular vehicle and is the safest driver i know But when hauling 3000 gallons of water if the vehicle weight shifts as a result of loosing traction, the vehicle is going to do what ever it wants to do and you will have no control of it. Speed was not a factor, instead of us all speculating how it happend lets show our support and prayers for those involved.

SOMDWXNEWS Thanks Him for his time, his service and his special post he put together for us.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernMDW...474917/?type=3

Members who have read this thread: 105