Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Dept. Tanker Truck Rolls Over in Calvert Sat. a.m.

Registered User OldHillcrestGuy's Avatar
    The Maryland tax credit was $4,250.00 this past year, we got a raise. For me being on SS and my pension and my wife's SS it amounted to about $300.00 more to our refund. I know this amount because my tax guy forgot to include the MD credit and had to redo my MD return. You only get that credit if you meet certain requirements. In 18 months I'm entitled to my LOSAP benefit, I'll hit 70 years old and will have 25 years of service. In Charles County that comes out to about $10.00 for every year I served.
    Im not getting into the battle going on about the accident, but I do find it hard to believe that the tire on that truck was a retread. Several things could have contributed to that accident, yes he was on a curve, the road looks to be narrow with no shoulders. He may have had to go around a car that stopped on the curve to let him by changing, in a split second there are several decisions that a driver has to decided to do. This accident happened on a curve, it could have happened on 4 lane highway, there are tons of drivers out there that just plan stop dead on the highway when a emergency vehicle comes up behind them and the driver has to make a very quick decision as to which way to go to avoid a accident.
    I would say that most of the stations in SoMd, the membership that actually run calls are made up of about 50% career firefighters from other departments from around the metro area. The career and volunteer guys have all at one time taken the same Emergency Vehicle Operator Class. Accidents happen at all the counties around the metro area, but they happen on a more frequent basis but are not reported like they are down here. How many folks on here heard about the accident that the Forrestville engine had the weekend before. It wasn't their fault but it destroyed their new $600,000 engine that the volunteers bought themselves, not the county.
    A lot of people are quick to criticize on these forums, but who's the first people you call when you have a emergency here in SoMd. the volunteers, and hope there are enough hanging around the station on their off days from their career jobs to respond to your emergency.

I believe the young man from Mechcanicsville was responding to the EMS Station (Co 29) to be the other half of the crew to get the ambulance out in the wee hours of the morning and not responding directly to the call.
    Last edited by OldHillcrestGuy; 03-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheToolMan View Post
    And you have the numbers to support that the majority of the volunteers are also not career in other jurisdictions?
    Nope, you the other way around?
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHillcrestGuy View Post
    The Maryland tax credit was $4,250.00 this past year, we got a raise. For me being on SS and my pension and my wife's SS it amounted to about $300.00 more to our refund. I know this amount because my tax guy forgot to include the MD credit and had to redo my MD return. You only get that credit if you meet certain requirements. In 18 months I'm entitled to my LOSAP benefit, I'll hit 70 years old and will have 25 years of service. In Charles County that comes out to about $10.00 for every year I served.
    Im not getting into the battle going on about the accident, but I do find it hard to believe that the tire on that truck was a retread. Several things could have contributed to that accident, yes he was on a curve, the road looks to be narrow with no shoulders. He may have had to go around a car that stopped on the curve to let him by changing, in a split second there are several decisions that a driver has to decided to do. This accident happened on a curve, it could have happened on 4 lane highway, there are tons of drivers out there that just plan stop dead on the highway when a emergency vehicle comes up behind them and the driver has to make a very quick decision as to which way to go to avoid a accident.
    I would say that most of the stations in SoMd, the membership that actually run calls are made up of about 50% career firefighters from other departments from around the metro area. The career and volunteer guys have all at one time taken the same Emergency Vehicle Operator Class. Accidents happen at all the counties around the metro area, but they happen on a more frequent basis but are not reported like they are down here. How many folks on here heard about the accident that the Forrestville engine had the weekend before. It wasn't their fault but it destroyed their new $600,000 engine that the volunteers bought themselves, not the county.
    A lot of people are quick to criticize on these forums, but who's the first people you call when you have a emergency here in SoMd. the volunteers, and hope there are enough hanging around the station on their off days from their career jobs to respond to your emergency.

I believe the young man from Mechcanicsville was responding to the EMS Station (Co 29) to be the other half of the crew to get the ambulance out in the wee hours of the morning and not responding directly to the call.

Absolutely not, he left the community of his parents home and turned left on Floria Corner heading towards New Market Turner and only made it 3/4 of the way through the S curves.

His home was above the S curve and if he was heading to get another Ambulance he would not have been going in that direction. If I remember the call was either in Golden Beach or before it.
    He was a nice kid, And it was very sad what happened. But it was well known that he had a heavy right foot.

It appears the Forestville truck was doing it's intended job of blocking traffic from hitting fireman at a call, from the pictures I have a hard time believing with a cost of 600 grand it's been totaled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_16475-Prince_Georges_County_Accident_1.58c696c6dbb6f2021067795.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	117768
    Last edited by black dog; 03-20-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Blog Entries
    BUT the important question..

Was it on Live PD??
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    BUT the important question..

Was it on Live PD??
    You mean, We're going to violate your civil rights on Live nobody cares TV?
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    Agreed, but it is an additional cost that people think doesn't happen.

I'm not suggesting the cost is less for a station or two of professional firefighters, but it may be worth the extra cost.

I would not go 100% professionals. Surely, the low population areas don't need it I probably would do a study to see, but would suggest off the cuff that Leonardtown and Lexington Park probably need professionals, and the rest can stay hobby firefighters.
    So what you are saying here is that the people in Leonardtown and Lexington Park are more important and need "professionals" while the other areas of the county only need hobbyists. I for one would want the same level of protection as everyone else. I take it you live in one of the areas that would be "professional".

Maybe you should check some credentials on the volunteers in the area. I know for a fact that there are volunteer firefighters that have more training and higher qualifications than some of the career firefighters.

My point was that there would be no need for construction. Professional firefighters can certainly work out of the given spaces with the given "first call" agreements, etc., that are in place now. Yes, they'd be more expensive, but the cost of their expense would be offset to a degree (certainly not approaching 100%) by not having to train and equip such a large hobby workforce. Bay District has about 150 members, give or take. Imagine reducing that to 20, and the training/equipment costs as well as the reduced insurance for having professional drivers, etc. There's no way that would pay for the 20 professionals, but it would certainly take some of the sting out of paying for them.
    In other words this is all conjecture by someone who doesn't have an insight into the actual numbers. Where to place a city fire station is a mathematical decision based on historic call volumes, travel times and response time requirements. For LP, it may well be that the Bay District station turns out to be a good location, it is just as likely that a new station at 235/4 would replace both Bay District and Hollywood.

Bay District had about 2100 last year. I do not agree that the only reason is workforce is overworked for the number of calls - sometimes they just have trouble finding people.
    Did I say they are overworked ?

An average call, though, has far more people than actually go to the scene, because you get credit just for showing up (because you need to show up for so many to get the benefits and to be seen as a good person in the group). So, people routinely get credit for calls they never suited up for.
    That doesn't change the number of calls the station responds to, right ?

Volunteer departments tend to show up with more apparatus and crew than career departments. That's just the nature of the beast and usually not a bad thing. The cost in firefighting is not in the actual callouts or equipment, it is in paying career staff for sitting around for most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mdff21 View Post
    So what you are saying here is that the people in Leonardtown and Lexington Park are more important and need "professionals" while the other areas of the county only need hobbyists. I for one would want the same level of protection as everyone else. I take it you live in one of the areas that would be "professional".

Maybe you should check some credentials on the volunteers in the area. I know for a fact that there are volunteer firefighters that have more training and higher qualifications than some of the career firefighters.
    Actually, I don't.

I know the credentials; I have many volunteer friends and coworkers.

Your wishes to have everyone have the same coverage is already non-existent.

That makes you 0 for 3.
    It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
    Jiddu Krisnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    In other words this is all conjecture by someone who doesn't have an insight into the actual numbers. Where to place a city fire station is a mathematical decision based on historic call volumes, travel times and response time requirements. For LP, it may well be that the Bay District station turns out to be a good location, it is just as likely that a new station at 235/4 would replace both Bay District and Hollywood.

Did I say they are overworked ?

That doesn't change the number of calls the station responds to, right ?

Volunteer departments tend to show up with more apparatus and crew than career departments. That's just the nature of the beast and usually not a bad thing. The cost in firefighting is not in the actual callouts or equipment, it is in paying career staff for sitting around for most of the day.
    It's actually not conjecture. While a civil engineer designing the best plan may do that, legislators tend to be more realistic. You described what would have been the right way to do it, but we have amateurs instead of professionals running the fire houses, so we didn't do it right and now we're stuck with what we have

If I may ...

You described what would have been the right way to do it, but we have amateurs instead of professionals running the fire houses, so we didn't do it right and now we're stuck with what we have
    We have "amateurs" as firemen and paramedics? Do you know the difference between our volunteers and those "professionals"? "Professionals", other than getting paid, are absolutely no different than volunteers. Our volunteers are trained just as well as those "professionals". Volunteers actually have more of a connection to the community than those "professionals", because to the "professional", it's just a job. To the volunteer, it is "service" to the community in which they live. Pride, accomplishment, comradery, service above self, professionalism, the creed of our volunteers. Why not stop by a firehouse someday, have a look around, and talk to some of our volunteers for some insight before you go disparaging them.

Our volunteers are Professionals serving us everyday with honor and integrity.
    Last edited by LightRoasted; 03-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Members who have read this thread: 106