Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 myths about online copyrights....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

5 myths about online copyrights....

When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Tell that to nhboy.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Tell that to nhboy.
    Somebody else is paying..........

Myth No. 1: It’s on the Internet, so Anyone Can Use It.

Legal Truth: This one is unwaveringly and unequivocally false. Claiming that all online content is free is like saying, “Hey, the front door of your house was open, so I just came in and took whatever I wanted.” Just because you find an image or blog post or article or video and you like it, you may not have permission to share it.
    “Folks run into problems when they do more than just link to something online,” Koustenis says. "When you directly copy or display the actual copyrighted material—in whole or part—even if you also provide a link to the original content, you're likely engaging in copyright infringement.”
    And what if you share content from a friend or a brand you follow that they didn't have a right to share? If they posted stolen content and you share it, Koustenis says you’re guilty of copyright infringement.
    “Knowledge or intent isn't required for copyright infringement liability,” she says. “Your right to share is only as good as the right to the original post. Know your source before you share.”
    So how do you figure out what’s OK to share and what’s not? Koustenis has a few smart tips:

Myth No. 2: No Copyright Notice Means It’s Not Copyrighted.

Legal Truth: “By U.S. copyright law, copyright is granted to a content creator the moment an idea is fixed into any tangible form,” Koustenis says. In plain English, that means that the moment a photographer clicks a shutter, a writer pens a story or an artist creates an image, it’s protected by copyright. The work doesn’t even have to be published to be protected by U.S. copyright laws. With regards to content published online, this means that every blog post and news article out there is copyrighted as well; images, music and videos are, too.
    Koustenis advises every website owner to put a copyright notice on their website. The footer is the most common area to do this, and you can do it today if you haven’t already. Registering a copyright is only necessary if you’re going to take legal action against someone for violating your copyright. In cases such as those, an attorney can help you expedite the copyright registration process.

Myth No. 3: You Can’t Copyright Words.

Legal Truth: Actually, you can. I once encountered three websites that had stolen, nearly verbatim, a single page of my website. After a brief fight, two of those pages were taken down. The other page never made it to publication because the copywriter who was asked to “polish” my stolen content by his client said, “Hey, I know this writer. You can’t use this.” (Thankfully, he had contacted me and let me know—I’m forever grateful.)
    “People may be confused here because they've heard you can’t copyright facts or ideas. This is true. But one’s expression of those facts and ideas is protected," Kousenis says. "When it comes to written expression, copyright infringement is determined by a measure of substantial similarity.” That means if you compare two pages—the copyrighted, original work and the potentially offending work side by side—they need to be substantially different in order to avoid copyright infringement. Even if you paraphrase, and change some words and the order of sentences, you can still be found guilty of copyright infringement and assessed the penalties you see cited below in Myth No. 5.
    Your best bet? Write your own stuff from scratch or hire someone to do it for you, if you’re not so great with words.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    Tell that to nhboy.
    Excerpt and link is acceptable practice.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Excerpt and link is acceptable practice.
    People who make money off of others copyrights (publishers primarily) love to forget or misinform about fair use.

Why are you wasting your time posting this here? After the last couple days... you should know that the defense team will shut you down regardless of what you post

Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    Why are you wasting your time posting this here? After the last couple days... you should know that the defense team will shut you down regardless of what you post
    Why does anyone post here.....it's fun, informative. We get to know psycho people we would never get to meet in real life, unless you seek out dingy basements.
    My world does not have nhboy, TJ, MR, Bacon, Hanks, and misfits in it it. I think being here balances me out. It's fun!

I hang out with Hijnx, Gilligan types all the time...

Members who have read this thread: 1