Maryland Gas and Electric

SamSpade

Just got a visit from a door to door salesperson (personally - red flag on ANY company that sells door to door) on telling me that they sell electric TO SMECO and due to de-regulation, they are able to sell to me directly.

Just smelled - fishy. I asked if they could just mail me the particulars - and she could not. I asked for a brochure - and she didn't have one.

All she had was a clipboard with a marked up SMECO bill, but was clearly not a SMECO person - and was evasive about who she was. Having BEEN someone like that in my former life in a religious cult - my first thought was thanks but no thanks.

Thankfully - she just left without argument.

Anyone else deal with these guys?

Grumpy

Not busting your chops but I am curious as to why you didn't call the police and/or SMECO and report this suspicious person...I agree that most people would have seen right through this scam but there's always one that falls for it, just ask the Nigerians.

SamSpade

Not busting your chops but I am curious as to why you didn't call the police and/or SMECO and report this suspicious person...I agree that most people would have seen right through this scam but there's always one that falls for it, just ask the Nigerians.

Because as far as I can tell, it is not a "scam", nor did I think it was at first.

I am pretty sure now it is one of those companies that legally can sell you electricity instead of SMECO. You do not have to pay SMECO, you can pay any of a bunch of other companies.
THIS, I know - I've read about such companies, I've just never seen evidence it is an improvement. With SMECO I have a reliable system and they're on the hook for fixing everything.

What was deceptive was, she didn't just come out and say it that way - she made it sound like there was this little known program where you can buy your electricity for less than SMECO.

Grumpy

I see your point but you would think the sales person would have some type of brochure or be willing to mail you info.

SamSpade

I see your point but you would think the sales person would have some type of brochure or be willing to mail you info.

Yeah, that was definitely a red flag for me. I've since Googled them and found stuff at the Better Business Bureau. Pretty much no one likes their service.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just got a visit from a door to door salesperson (personally - red flag on ANY company that sells door to door) on telling me that they sell electric TO SMECO and due to de-regulation, they are able to sell to me directly.

Just smelled - fishy. I asked if they could just mail me the particulars - and she could not. I asked for a brochure - and she didn't have one.

All she had was a clipboard with a marked up SMECO bill, but was clearly not a SMECO person - and was evasive about who she was. Having BEEN someone like that in my former life in a religious cult - my first thought was thanks but no thanks.

Thankfully - she just left without argument.

Anyone else deal with these guys?

Middle of the day door knock?? I would be wondering if she was the front person to see if anyone was home, and if not you were next inline to be robbed.

SamSpade

Middle of the day door knock?? I would be wondering if she was the front person to see if anyone was home, and if not you were next inline to be robbed.

Nah, it looks like they're a real company even if their product is a total ripoff.
Plus, there's always too many cars at our house for anyone to suspect no one is home.

Natron0915

Nah, it looks like they're a real company even if their product is a total ripoff.
Plus, there's always too many cars at our house for anyone to suspect no one is home.

Had a knock at the door just after dark last night. When I turned on the light a gentleman held up an ID badge. Opened the door and he had an MG&E hat and polo on...holding a clipboard with a SMECO bill in plastic. Remembering this thread, I politely told him I'd heard about them and that I wasn't interested. He asked if I'd heard "bad stuff" to which I replied yes. He looked a little embarrassed, said thanks, and left. Interesting to note, there wasn't a vehicle not mine in the driveway so he must have been making his way down the cul-de-sac. Bottom line...thanks for the heads up forum peeps!

luvmygdaughters

They've come to our door several times before. My husband always tells them were not interested and they leave. If you have No Trespassing signs on your property, can you call the cops on them?

Bonehead

You had better have a damn good reason to knock on someones door after dark....sales is NOT one of them.

Last edited:

SamSpade

Guy down the street said she came by his house - and in the middle of her spiel asked to use the bathroom - and then would not leave for over a half hour.

PeoplesElbow

You had better have a damn good reason to knock on someones door after dark....sales is NOT one of them.

They knocked on my door after dark several weeks ago, I was installing new flooring and came to the door with my carpet knife in my hand, my knuckles slightly banged up, should have seen the look on the kids face.