Prison Guards Who Allegedly Boiled Schizophrenic Man to Death Not Charged

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/f...enic-black-man-darren-rainey-to-death-9213190

On June 23, 2012, Darren Rainey, a schizophrenic man serving time for cocaine possession, was thrown into a prison shower at the Dade Correctional Institution. The water was turned up to 180 degrees — hot enough to steep tea or cook ramen noodles.

As his punishment, four corrections officers — John Fan Fan, Cornelius Thompson, Ronald Clarke, and Edwina Williams — kept Rainey in that shower for two full hours. Rainey was heard screaming, "Please take me out! I can’t take it anymore!” and kicking the shower door. Inmates said prison guards laughed at Rainey and shouted, "Is it hot enough?"

Rainey died inside that shower. He was found crumpled on the floor. When his body was pulled out, nurses said burns covered 90 percent of his body. A nurse said his body temperature was too high to register with a thermometer. And his skin fell off at the touch.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
There should be an outside investigation into this. If the guards are found guilty of misconduct, they should be subjected to the same punishment as Mr. Rainy. What a sick ####ing bunch...

Hijinx

IMO if the Judge were placed in that shower for ten minutes she would be in a much better position to make a fair and impartial decision.

Chris0nllyn

What shower goes to 180 degrees?

Allegedly, the janitor's closet where the water heater is was near the shower and allegedly COs would take inmates to the shower for punishment. They'd either turn it way up, or way down for punishment.

There's a lot going on with this story.

Hijinx

Allegedly, the janitor's closet where the water heater is was near the shower and allegedly COs would take inmates to the shower for punishment. They'd either turn it way up, or way down for punishment.

There's a lot going on with this story.

The biggest thing going on with this story is that officials chose to ignore it.

Chris0nllyn

The biggest thing going on with this story is that officials chose to ignore it.

For sure, but there's other parts that led to the SA coming to her decision. One, they didn't look at past instances, some of the other "facts" from the report are countered by the SA's website on this case. They have a FAQ set up which contradicts some of the report and witnesses. I haven't looked at it enough to know who/what is more believable though.

black dog

Free America
Seems there should be more facts, I dunno, aren't photographs taken as part of autopsies?

What shower goes to 180 degrees?

Exactly, folks need to actually read the article. He would have been squirming like a crazed spider monkey.

Within seconds at 180° he would have been blistered all over his body, along with the officers that were holding him under the spray.

Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.

Chris0nllyn

What water heater can pump that much water at that temperature for that long?

Industrial/commercial water heaters/boilers can.

AO Smith makes 100gal gas heaters that go to 180*.

Since it's a prison with a large water demand, it's probably a boiler. Bradford White makes large boilers capable of this.

black dog

Free America
I would say, a large Commercial Boiler, a tankless boiler or a oversized tankless water heater.
One would think one or more of the guards would also have serious burns.
Seems the Coroner's office didn't see any burns.

glhs837

Power with Control
Exactly, folks need to actually read the article. He would have been squirming like a crazed spider monkey.

Within seconds at 180° he would have been blistered all over his body, along with the officers that were holding him under the spray.

Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.

Hmm, I do agree that reading is fundamental.......

Rainey was heard screaming, "Please take me out! I can’t take it anymore!” and kicking the shower door.

From my reading, that appears to indicate that no officer would be required to hold him under the spray........ What did you read that led you to think otherwise?

It's a commercial application, industrial setting. I would think they tap hot water from a steam hot water boiler system rather than small 100 or 200 gallon heaters.

Not unlike houses that use boilers for heat and domestic hot water. Those suckers can get ungodly hot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm calling :bs: on this story for a couple of reasons.

#1, why is this man's race important enough to be mentioned in the headline? That screams race baiting bull#### to me.

#2, there's no way in hell he'd have survived 2 hours in a 180* shower. No ####ing way. Like, NO ####ing way.

#3, NYT "investigated" it, so you know whatever they came up with is a lie.

#4, which is still important, the story does not say what this man did to get this punishment. Did the guards just grab him at random? If so, I'd think the "reporter" would have mentioned that.

#5, Judge Rundle issued a response calling bull#### on these claims. She says that upon investigation, what is being alleged is not what happened. In fact, the coroner's report disputes many of the claims that these lying sack of #### "reporters" are claiming.

Fake news. Quelle surprise.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm calling :bs: on this story for a couple of reasons.

#1, why is this man's race important enough to be mentioned in the headline? That screams race baiting bull#### to me.

#2, there's no way in hell he'd have survived 2 hours in a 180* shower. No ####ing way. Like, NO ####ing way.

#3, NYT "investigated" it, so you know whatever they came up with is a lie.

#4, which is still important, the story does not say what this man did to get this punishment. Did the guards just grab him at random? If so, I'd think the "reporter" would have mentioned that.

#5, Judge Rundle issued a response calling bull#### on these claims. She says that upon investigation, what is being alleged is not what happened. In fact, the coroner's report disputes many of the claims that these lying sack of #### "reporters" are claiming.

Fake news. Quelle surprise.

Yep, official with the city government went along with the story as told by the officers. It's never happened that the city has covered it's own? What he did to get this illegal punishment? Why does that even matter? Does it say two hours constantly? If I hold your head underwater for two hours, you die. I can waterboard you for two hours and you'll be just fine. Well, your ind will be toast, but your body will be fine.

I'm saying dont dismiss it based on those things.

black dog

Free America
Hmm, I do agree that reading is fundamental.......

From my reading, that appears to indicate that no officer would be required to hold him under the spray........ What did you read that led you to think otherwise?

How about just the common sence that a person that is supposed to being burned in a room by themselves would just move out from under the running water.
When you simply touch something hot the standard human reaction is to pull away, I don't believe I have never seen a shower that small that you can't get away from the hot water. Exspecially in a community shower like a prison.
Hence the thought that if this really happened ( which I also believe is bull$hit ) someone or more than one man would be needed to hold another man under scalding water.