Numbers 16 Let God Sort Them Out

seekeroftruth

November 16:16 Moses said to Korah, “You and all your followers are to appear before the Lord tomorrow—you and they and Aaron. 17 Each man is to take his censer and put incense in it—250 censers in all—and present it before the Lord. You and Aaron are to present your censers also.” 18 So each of them took his censer, put burning coals and incense in it, and stood with Moses and Aaron at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 19 When Korah had gathered all his followers in opposition to them at the entrance to the tent of meeting, the glory of the Lord appeared to the entire assembly. 20 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, 21 “Separate yourselves from this assembly so I can put an end to them at once.”

22 But Moses and Aaron fell facedown and cried out, “O God, the God who gives breath to all living things, will you be angry with the entire assembly when only one man sins?”​

I use to date a guy who had a shirt that said "kill 'em all, let God sort them out". That shirt comes to mind when I read these verses.

Anyway.... this is from the studylight.org site.

This specified the challenge. God would approve or disapprove of these 250 men gathered with censers of incense before the door of the tabernacle.

God used the censers with fire and incense in this test for a good reason. A censer is a metal pot used to burn incense, and they were used in the priestly worship of God. Since Korah and his companions questioned Moses and Aaron’s right to lead the nation and conduct the priesthood, each group would come to the LORD as worshipping priests - and God would show which group He accepted.

Moses made the rebels take the position they desired - the position of priest. Often the best judgment on the divisive and rebellious is to let them lead.

Humanly speaking, the odds were not good. It was Moses and Aaron stand alone against all the congregation. Yet God would make this hoice, and not popular opinion.​

It is as if God said, “Moses and Aaron, will you please move away? I’m going to destroy all these rebels in an instant, and I don’t want you to get hurt.”

That I may consume them in a moment: God decided to make His choice immediately evident. Sometimes this is not the case when God deals with modern Korahs and their followers​

Can you imagine.... Korah, and his human idiots standing there all puffed up and important? Can you imagine them with their great big victory smiles on their smug faces. Korah was better than a pack mule.... he would be king of his own little kingdom of 250 people.

I guess Moses leading 2+million our of Egypt was something Korah figured he could have done.

I wonder.... when God told Moses to step away.... did Korah think Moses had been put out of a job? Did Korah puff up even more? Did Korah really believe he was going to come out of this alive?

When Moses fell on his face and began praying for the 250 followers.... what did Korah's followers think? Was there a chorus of "uh-oh!"?

IMHO.... This is one of those moments when the puffed up Korahs of the world would point at Moses and say something rude and stupid. I've seen it so many times in my life.....

:coffee: