ISO Information Protesting going on a W. Dares Beach Road Yesterday

steppinthrax

I went to the gym around 5:00pm ish yesterday. I noticed the sidewalk around that area was lined with teachers etc holding signs protesting about something. They were in and around the intersection of Prince Frederick BLVD.

I don't mind this type of thing but they were blocking the entrance and making it difficult to see traffic. One of them made a point of physically stopping right in the middle of the side entrance of the Patuxent health center blocking traffic. The protesters on both sides of the sidewalk didn't help much from me seeing her!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I went to the gym around 5:00pm ish yesterday. I noticed the sidewalk around that area was lined with teachers etc holding signs protesting about something. They were in and around the intersection of Prince Frederick BLVD.

I don't mind this type of thing but they were blocking the entrance and making it difficult to see traffic. One of them made a point of physically stopping right in the middle of the side entrance of the Patuxent health center blocking traffic. The protesters on both sides of the sidewalk didn't help much from me seeing her!

https://www.calvertbeacon.com/teachers-rally-full-funding-school-budget/

DEEKAYPEE8569

Sounds like the perfect time to have either a P.A. speaker under the hood or one of these.....
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...24602B4788D1098AFBCF24602B4788D10&FORM=VRDGAR

calvcopf

Hope the teachers get the money that they are due! The county must uphold their end of the contract.

steppinthrax

get a job somewhere else

I actually support that statement and disagree with all this bull####.

If you don't like your income and pay then brush up on your skills and get a job elsewhere.

My understanding is a school teacher's salary is around 55 - 65K (10 years exp). There are a magnitude of reasons why their salaries are like that, but whatever the reason if you don't like it then leave!!!! My understanding is private school teachers salaries are lower!!

frequentflier

happy to be living
You couldn't pay me enough to teach any grade these days. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, parents and children aren't what they were when I was growing up nor is discipline or high expectations.
Some teachers express that they are glorified baby sitters and that many kids are not there to learn; just to "do their time". I doubt it is rewarding to be a teacher like it was say 30 or 40 years ago...

Clem72

I give plenty.

A deal's a deal.

How has this not went to court for breach of contract?

If it hasn't gone to court, it's probably because it didn't breach the contract. There is assuredly language in there to indicate raises are not guaranteed and subject to some oversight or budgetary influence.

Clem72

You couldn't pay me enough to teach any grade these days. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, parents and children aren't what they were when I was growing up nor is discipline or high expectations.
Some teachers express that they are glorified baby sitters and that many kids are not there to learn; just to "do their time". I doubt it is rewarding to be a teacher like it was say 30 or 40 years ago...

Lot's of jobs aren't rewarding, except financially. 55-65k doesn't sound like poverty line, and is probably more than actual baby sitters make.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I give plenty.

A deal's a deal.

obviously you do not give enough. State and local governments can't write checks on money they don't have.
There's a shortfall in the budget so cough it up to close the gap.
A deals a deal, if they go to court, you get to pay even more, you get to cover the cost of the lawyers for all parties.
After all, the money you are talking about is all taxpayer money, it wasn't harvested from trees.

Again, you want the government / school system to pay out, donate the additional funds needed to meet the shortfall.

calvcopf

Bet he would sing a different tune if his paycheck was short.

But I know Bernie is always trolling and now it's just sad. Must be a miserable old man. I feel sorry for him and hope things get better for him.

Last edited:

calvcopf

Lot's of jobs aren't rewarding, except financially. 55-65k doesn't sound like poverty line, and is probably more than actual baby sitters make.

Underpaid and underappreciated. As with any profession there are good and bad. But overall as college educated professionals, they should at least expect to be paid the money that they are owed, as per their contract.

black dog

Free America
I'm disappointed I missed the opportunity to burn some High Sulphur diesel.

[video=youtube_share;81fYa9b9RqE]https://youtu.be/81fYa9b9RqE[/video]

Forkian

They have a contract so shouldn't this be enforceable by law? Why were they paid less than the contract stated? Who is responsible for violating the contract? BOE or Commissioners?

BernieP

Resident PIA
Bet he would sing a different tune if his paycheck was short.

But I know Bernie is always trolling and now it's just sad. Must be a miserable old man. I feel sorry for him and hope things get better for him.

It appeared you needed a lesson in government finance. Probably should include civics in general.
If you believe you have paid in enough, who then is going to come up with the extra funds?
Granted, my understanding of how Maryland law works is limited, I'm use to local government and school boards having the power to levy the taxes for the revenue they require to run their respective operations. They don't rely on the state legislature for squat.
Their power comes from the people, and trust me, when the people felt they were overburdened by taxes they let their elected officials know in short order. I recall a school board meeting where they were discussing teacher pay raises. The teachers wanted the same raise as the big school systems around them were handing out. The residents of this little town told the school board if they went above 4% they would stone them.

But in Merryland, the school board has to go to the county for it's budget. The county is limited on how much it can tax so in essence they are on a fixed budget - unless the state gives them dispensation to raise their rates. So knowing the rules, both the county and school board should have been extending their revenue forecast and figured out before they signed the contract the money wasn't there. Hell, the teachers union, should have done the same.

Then you compound the stupidity of it all and say they should go to court. HA!
Again, who pays for all the lawyers? The TAXPAYER.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I give plenty.

A deal's a deal.

Because according to Maryland law concerning teacher contracts it isn't a breach. The revenue authority, the Commissioners, are under no mandate to fund schools above Maintenance of Effort. If a contracted raise exceeds that they don't have to fund. All they have to do is declare a financial emergency, or just not appropriate the funds as long as they maintain MOE, at any time.

Prince George's County does it all the time for, or to, the teachers.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

They have a contract so shouldn't this be enforceable by law? Why were they paid less than the contract stated? Who is responsible for violating the contract? BOE or Commissioners?

It's not a contract per se, it's an agreement between the school board and the teachers union. The commissioners are under no obligation to fund. What happens is that the unions and teachers say, "see see, we have a contract for more of x,y, and z." And it may not be met because of a shortage of funds so of course they blame the commissioners and not the school board who have complete control over the school budget. Want to know a real kicker? So in Calvert, and elsewhere around the county, pension funds ie, teacher, and others, retirement accounts are seriously underfunded, a shortage. In Calvert near $20 millions. Now we are told they, "were promised" this. But what's not being told is that when it was "promised" it was based on a certain annual percentage return in the pension accounts. Well, guess what? The returns have been dismal for many years. So now, instead of having the teachers pay more into their own retirement to shore up the accounts, it is the people that will suffer through higher taxation, which has already occurred here in Calvert. Those millions from Dominion? Some earmarked for these failing pension accounts instead of our failing infrastructure. I say screw them.

Added: From a 2015 Baltimore Sun article. The $45.4 billion system, which provides monthly benefits to about 143,000 retired teachers, state police, judges and other former employees, is expected to gobble up a growing share of the state's budget in the coming years. The Maryland State Retirement and Pension System had only about 69 percent of the assets needed to pay for future and current retirees' pensions in the last fiscal year — well below the at least 80 percent target that many experts consider healthy.

Only now, the State saddled the counties to shore up the teachers accounts all by themselves. On the backs of the uninformed people.

In addition, the teachers always say how selfless they are when it comes to teaching and our children. When was the last time anyone has seen teachers picketing or striking for the students? For tougher bullying punishments? Tougher discipline policies? Tougher anything? Better curriculum? ........... I didn't think so.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And another. From August 2016 The $45.5 billion investment portfolio earned 1.16 percent after fees for the fiscal year that ended June 30, well below the fund’s annual objective of 7.55 percent, according to a news release from the State Retirement and Pension System.

So guess who is going to get squeezed to close the gap? For something most living around here had absolutely nothing to do with nor were a part of. Why is it up to the citizens of Calvert County, and other counties, to fund the teachers retirement account shortages?

I would say these teachers better be damned careful of not pissing of the populace. If everyone gets wind of where their tax money is going instead of funding roads and the like, teachers may very well find themselves in a very unpopular, and with far less funding, position.

Last edited: