John Deere Sucks

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
American Farmers Are Turning To Ukraine To Hack Into Their Own Tractors: Report

This all comes back to John Deere’s refusal to grant diagnostic and service information to owners, instead forcing them to sign a licensing agreement which basically requires them to have an “authorized” John Deere rep come out to their farm to have a look at the problem. Motherboard spoke with farmer Kevin Kenney, who described what a typical John Deere tractor service, saying:

You want to replace a transmission and you take it to an independent mechanic—he can put in the new transmission but the tractor can’t drive out of the shop. Deere charges $230, plus $130 an hour for a technician to drive out and plug a connector into their USB port to authorize the part.

This sounds like a bit of a nightmare, as if you own any vehicle, you should have every right to repair it. In fact, that’s one of the main tenets of the Right To Repair movement. And John Deere’s statement to Motherboard agrees, saying:

When a customer buys John Deere equipment, he or she owns the equipment...As the owner, he or she has the ability to maintain and repair the equipment. The customer also has the ability through operator and service manuals and other resources to enable operational, maintenance, service and diagnostics activities to repair and maintain equipment.

I suppose one option is Don't Buy Deere ...

Clem72

Seems to me we have precedent with automobiles. Unless you can prove the "unauthorized repair" caused an issue, it shouldn't void any warranties. And actually locking out the ability to repair your own hardware is excluded from the DMCA, so this should be a slam dunk if anyone wanted to take it to court.

black dog

Free America
If you don't need fancy GPS navigation there is always Mahindra. Yes, it's not American made, but they are made well and are easily serviceable.

As a owner of two Green Tractors, my 30 horse compact 790 has a Yanmar diesel and the 75 HP has a American made diesel in it.
I don't believe John Deere has built a diesel under 50 HP do a long time, 20 years or more ????

In the last year a Mahindra dealer opened up about 10 miles from me, I don't know for sure but whenever I drive by I never see anyone looking at what for sale.
Green, Red and Blue folks are very particular about what equipment they will own.
Mahindra might get some of the homeowners and hobbie farmers, but I don't see then being in the front line like the Big Boys.
How long has Kubota been here?

black dog

Free America
My 770 JD 4x4 is 21 years old. Like all such, it's a Yanmar. Reliable as a hammer.

770 & 780 were 20 HP right?

I love my 790. I bought it new with mid PTO and full hydro. It's a great compact tractor, even with the turf tires on it it will fit in the bed of my dually for easy transportation. The trans and rear axle assembly is the same as the 10 series 50 HP tractors.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I love my 790. I bought it new with mid PTO and full hydro. It's a great compact tractor, even with the turf tires on it it will fit in the bed of my dually for easy transportation. The trans and rear axle assembly is the same as the 10 series 50 HP tractors.

I think that's correct on the HP. And I bought mine with the mid-mower option and turf tires too. I run a big PTO-pump powered wood splitter off the back of it...one the tractor can barely lift on the 3-point without the front tires lifting. I have a Case backhoe/loader for "bigger stuff" so I didn't bother with adding the loader option to the JD.

black dog

Free America
I think that's correct on the HP. And I bought mine with the mid-mower option and turf tires too. I run a big PTO-pump powered wood splitter off the back of it...one the tractor can barely lift on the 3-point without the front tires lifting. I have a Case backhoe/loader for "bigger stuff" so I didn't bother with adding the loader option to the JD.

That's funny about the splitter, when working at the Dentist's home I bought a 3 pt splitter he had sitting behind the back garage.
I mow with a mid mower and till with a 5' woods tiller in the back.
I don't have a backhoe but I do have a 8 series bobcat, when it croaks I will put the front loader on the tractor. ( I've never used it yet )

black dog

Free America
Dentist's home? My-brother-the-carpenter did a ton of work for a dentist. Guy had more money than God.

Yep, he's the one..( lighthouse road, ) after the Hurricane he gave me the boat lift from his swamped power boat. I made a railing picket twister out of it and it will twist 1 1/4" steel square stock.
It's a beast.

One of my sister's owns one of the Four Townhouses on that road.
You know the property.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
TPD did a YouTube video awhile back complaining about the need to have a JD technician reset the oil change indicator on one of his new tractors.

Ah... here it is.

buddscreek

john deere, if it ends in 10, think again. words to live by.

buddscreek

never heard of welfare blue.. just remember my friend, if its blue it will work the day through.
green tractors when they break just park in the trees and blend in.
red tractors can't leave the barn, so they match.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
never heard of welfare blue.. just remember my friend, if its blue it will work the day through.
green tractors when they break just park in the trees and blend in.
red tractors can't leave the barn, so they match.

We had this Minneapolis Moline.....and a David Brown 3800.....a Deutz air-cooled...an Alllis Chalmers...

Quite the collection of mutts.

buddscreek

never worked a david brown. allis was a strong tractor, mm were to much like an oliver. don't care much for them. deutz don't no about them

Clem72

Mahindra might get some of the homeowners and hobbie farmers, but I don't see then being in the front line like the Big Boys.

No doubt people are loyal to their brands, but I wouldn't worry about Mahindra's future. They are already THE big boy (more worldwide sales in agricultural sector than John Deere).

black dog

Free America
never worked a david brown. allis was a strong tractor, mm were to much like an oliver. don't care much for them. deutz don't no about them

Deutz is a awesome air cooled diesel that loads of companies use in small & medium sized equipment, Companys from Vermeer, Ditch Witch, Case, Berkeen and many others use Deutz Air Cooled diesel engines. I don't know if they make liquid cooled models for I have never seen any.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I don't know if they make liquid cooled models for I have never seen any.

The group KHD-Deutz has produced a lot of liquid cooled diesels but I've never seen them offered in a tractor. We used quite a few of their V-16s marine diesels back some years ago. Their air-cooled diesels have been used in many a hovercraft too. We even tried using them for generators and lift fans on surface effect ships. Biggest "problem" with them is they are very noisy compared to water-cooled options.