Trump's communications may have been 'monitored'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
GOP lawmaker says President Trump's communications may have been 'monitored' during transition period.

Trump feels 'somewhat' vindicated after Nunes intel briefing

WASHINGTON (AP) — Communications of Donald Trump's transition officials — possibly including the incoming president himself — may have been scooped up in legal surveillance but then improperly distributed throughout the intelligence community, the chairman of the House intelligence committee said Wednesday.

In an extraordinary set of statements to reporters, Republican Rep. Devin Nunes said the intercepted communications do not appear to be related to the ongoing FBI investigation into Trump associates' contacts with Russia or any criminal warrants.

Nunes, who served on Trump's transition team, said he believes the intelligence collections were done legally but that identities of Trump officials and the content of their communications may have been inappropriately disseminated in intelligence reports.

"What I've read bothers me, and I think it should bother the president himself and his team," Nunes said Wednesday after briefing Trump privately at the White House.

Nunes briefed reporters before sharing the information with Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House intelligence committee. Schiff decried Nunes' handling of the matter, saying the chairman had created "profound doubt" about the credibility of their committee's investigation.

The disclosures came two days after FBI Director James Comey publicly confirmed the investigation into the Trump campaign's connections with Russia and rejected Trump's explosive claims that President Barack Obama wiretapped his New York skyscraper during the election. Comey's comments came in the House intelligence committee's first public hearing on Russia's election interference, an investigation being overseen by Nunes.

tommyjo

And now for the part that Gurps conveniently "forgot" to include:

He said the surveillance was conducted legally and did not appear to be related to the current FBI investigation into Trump associates' contacts with Russia or with any criminal warrants. And the revelations, he said, did nothing to change his assessment that Trump's explosive allegations about wiretaps at Trump Tower were false.

oh and this...

Nunes said he believed the Trump team's communications were caught "incidentally." But he suggested the contents may have been inappropriately disseminated in intelligence reports. He left open the possibility the communications were spread for political reasons. Nunes would not disclose how he received the new information.

So for those who can't understand English...here is what Mr. Nunes said today that was news: nothing. We already know that Trump officials and surrogates were caught having conversations with Russian officials who were being monitored. We already know that the Trump officials who should've known this monitoring was in place were the first ones nabbed (Mr. Flynn, Mr. Sessions).

Mr. Nunes offered nothing to support his claims. So what was this all about? Wanna bet that Mr. Nunes' name is on one of those transcripts somewhere? Why else would it "bother" him so much? He doesn't seem to care about the intrusion in our "sacred election process" by the Russians. He doesn't seem to care that everyone around the President has questionable ties to the Russians or that the President has gone out of his way to kneel before Mr. Putin while pissing on all our allies. But...if Mr. Nunes' name is listed on one of those documents...now that WOULD be something Mr. Nunes would care deeply about! (Pure speculation on my part...I offer nothing to support his...much like Mr. Nunes)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Nunes told reporters that he "recently confirmed that, on numerous occasions, the Intelligence Community incidentally collected information about U.S. citizens involved in the Trump transition." He added that the surveillance was not related to Russia, but another unspecified entity or entities.

Incidental collection occurs when a U.S. person enters the communications of a foreign subject being legally monitored under a FISA court order.

Nunes said he'd asked the directors of the FBI, NSA, and CIA "to expeditiously comply" with a request for "a full account of these surveillance activities."

"I informed Speaker Ryan this morning of this new information, and I will be going to the White House this afternoon to share what I know with the president," he said.

Nunes then headed to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and was ready to speak to the press once again after meeting with Trump. On CNN after his appearance at the White House, the chairman said "it does appear" that Trump himself could have incidentally been picked up during FISA surveillance.

"So, until we actually get those reports and get an explanation from the appropriate agencies, we won't know the answer to that. But, clearly, there is a lot of information in the reports that I have seen, which were dozens, that would lead me to believe that the last administration and numerous agencies had a pretty good idea of what President-elect Trump was up to and what his transition team was up to and who they were meeting with," said Nunes, who served as an advisor on Trump's transition team. "And, you know, some of this is, I think, legitimate collection, but some of it, I think it bothered me enough that I went over to the White House, because I think the president needs to see these reports for himself."

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...llection-revelations-sparking-committee-feud/

SamSpade

We already know that Trump officials and surrogates were caught having conversations with Russian officials who were being monitored. We already know that the Trump officials who should've known this monitoring was in place were the first ones nabbed (Mr. Flynn, Mr. Sessions).

Somebody correct me on this - isn't THAT illegal? Aren't they supposed to stop once it's clear an American citizen is part of it?