British Parliament Terror Attack Underscores The Stupidity of British Media's ‘Asian’ Descriptions

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
British Parliament Terror Attack Underscores The Stupidity of British Media's ‘Asian’ Descriptions

Media reports from the British press in the aftermath of Wednesday’s truck and knife attack on Parliament, resulting in the death of at least three people and “catastrophic” injuries to more than a dozen more, have focused in on the identity of the perpetrator in vague terms. We know, according to The Telegraph (UK) that the attacker was described by witnesses as an “Asian guy in about his 40s carrying a knife about seven or eight inches long.” The Daily Star (UK) calls the suspect a “black or Asian man who was spotted running with an eight-inch knife.” The Daily Mirror (UK) called him “reportedly Asian in appearance.”

The picture above is of the actual suspect.

In America, Asian has a different connotation than it does in the British press. It generally means people of Pakistani or Indian descent, not people from Southeast Asia, as it does in the United States. It’s also often a cover for Islamic background – the press will generally avoid talking about the religion of a suspect in favor of focusing in on ethnicity, and they’ll broaden out the ethnic label to include people who aren’t Pakistani in order to avoid the impression that the Pakistani perpetrator might be a Muslim.

:killingme

yeah that guy looks 'Asian'

glhs837

Power with Control
Am I reading this wrong it appears that they are saying Americans think that Indians and pakistanis are Asian?

PeoplesElbow

The British have used Asian to describe the dark people of Asia longer than we have used it as a replacement once Oriental was considered not PC enough. Asian is a somewhat derogatory word in GB also, at least among the Brits I know.

Chris0nllyn

They were using the eyewitness reports of someone there who said he was "Asian".

The American media is pretty damn stupid and I don't think we have any room to talk

glhs837

Power with Control
Last time I looked, India and Pakistan were in Asia.

Right, but my point was, and I should have been more clear, if you line up Pakis, Indians, some Thai, Indonesians, and Japanese, most Americans would only describe the last three as Asians. It's an appearance thing, not a geographical thing. Very few Americans, IMO, would describe people from those first two groups as Asians.

Midnightrider

So the fact that he converted to Islam before doing that should not be mentioned? Which identifier is more relevant?

as long as you are going to mention that he thought he was being brainwashed by the CIA to watch ISIS videos and that he was a member of our armed forces, sure we should mention that. :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
as long as you are going to mention that he thought he was being brainwashed by the CIA to watch ISIS videos and that he was a member of our armed forces, sure we should mention that. :yay:

So here's where I have an issue with this whole sane/insane thing. I see these ISIS guys slaughtering people on horrible ways, ways that almost any normal person would classify as insane. I saw a report a few days back where people, men women and children, were caught simply trying to flee the area. They were hung from swingset type A-frames by chains, doused with gas, and set on fire. I see them tossing gays off rooftops until dead. So, saying they should not be described as doing these things in the name if Islam because they are acting insane seems a weak defense at best. Barring ISIS videos, might he have just eaten a bullet of rammed an overpass? We'll never know.

Midnightrider

So here's where I have an issue with this whole sane/insane thing. I see these ISIS guys slaughtering people on horrible ways, ways that almost any normal person would classify as insane. I saw a report a few days back where people, men women and children, were caught simply trying to flee the area. They were hung from swingset type A-frames by chains, doused with gas, and set on fire. I see them tossing gays off rooftops until dead. So, saying they should not be described as doing these things in the name if Islam because they are acting insane seems a weak defense at best. Barring ISIS videos, might he have just eaten a bullet of rammed an overpass? We'll never know.

the same could be said for his military service. barring that would he have been so unstable in the first place?

This guy was not a Muslim prior to his "issues" and he had lots of other descriptors that we would have used about him. Calling him Hispanic seems pretty intellectually honest.

glhs837

Power with Control
the same could be said for his military service. barring that would he have been so unstable in the first place?

This guy was not a Muslim prior to his "issues" and he had lots of other descriptors that we would have used about him. Calling him Hispanic seems pretty intellectually honest.

Could be, no telling. Calling him a Hispanic male is honest. Neglecting to say he converted to Islam and was watching ISIs videos is dishonest.

Midnightrider

Could be, no telling. Calling him a Hispanic male is honest. Neglecting to say he converted to Islam and was watching ISIs videos is dishonest.

then so is neglecting to say that he was a US military vet and that he thought the CIA had forced him to watch those ISIS videos

glhs837

Power with Control
then so is neglecting to say that he was a US military vet and that he thought the CIA had forced him to watch those ISIS videos

Pretty sure the very first things we heard were Hispanic and Vet. To emphasize that is wasn't one of the those peace loving Muslins at their wacky kill-an-infidel-for-Allah-today.

Midnightrider

Pretty sure the very first things we heard were Hispanic and Vet. To emphasize that is wasn't one of the those peace loving Muslins at their wacky kill-an-infidel-for-Allah-today.

maybe that's because he was a Hispanic vet :yay:

if he had been raised muslim but converted to Christianity just before his attack would you be so insistent on him being described as a Christian shooter?

Wishbone

maybe that's because he was a Hispanic vet :yay:

if he had been raised muslim but converted to Christianity just before his attack would you be so insistent on him being described as a Christian shooter?
If it was Christianity that motivated him, of course.

But.... 57832301.jpg