The health care bill could be Donald Trump’s Iraq War

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" If it passes, the American Health Care Act will be Donald Trump and Paul Ryan's Iraq War. It's been sold with lies. It's been pushed forward with a shock-and-awe legislative strategy. And its architects are woefully unprepared for the chaos it would unleash upon passage.

There is an honest argument that could have been made for the AHCA. Conservatives believe it is not the government’s responsibility to ensure the poor can afford decent health insurance. They argue that if taxpayers are pitching in for someone’s coverage, that coverage should be lean; a high-deductible plan that protects against catastrophic medical expenses is plenty for charity care.

Under this view, the basic structure of Obamacare — which taxes the rich to purchase reasonably generous coverage for the poor — is ill-conceived and should be reversed.

The core philosophical disagreement here is real and worth hashing out. Whereas liberals see access to health care as a right, conservatives see it as more akin to transportation — important, and perhaps worth subsidizing at low levels, but if someone can’t afford a car, it’s not the government’s responsibility to buy them one, much less buy them a nice one. This is the viewpoint the AHCA reflects.

It is not the viewpoint elected Republicans are selling. Instead, their rhetoric fits the sort of plan that Sen. Bernie Sanders might offer. Donald Trump won the 2016 election promising to protect Medicaid from cuts and ensure coverage for all. After the election, he reiterated the vow, telling the Washington Post “we’re going to have insurance for everybody” with “much lower deductibles.” "

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/23/14991332/gop-health-bill-ahca-trump-iraq

Chris0nllyn

The current bill looks like a real sh!t sandwich anyway....

This.

Trump shouldn't be pushing this bill and in typical GOP fashion, they lamented the fact that the ACA was drafted and passed hastily, leading to errors and other issues.

Now the GOP is rushing to add amendments to their bill to make it more palatable and hoping for enough votes to pass it. It blows my mind that these people had 7 years to come up with something and this is what they come up with.

SamSpade

This.

Trump shouldn't be pushing this bill and in typical GOP fashion, they lamented the fact that the ACA was drafted and passed hastily, leading to errors and other issues.

Now the GOP is rushing to add amendments to their bill to make it more palatable and hoping for enough votes to pass it. It blows my mind that these people had 7 years to come up with something and this is what they come up with.

This is what I don't like about it ---

The buzz has been, we have more stuff lined up afterward that deals with all your complaints - but we have to pass this FIRST.
And the Republicans have rightly responded - we can't vote on what you MIGHT propose later, we have to vote on what we see NOW.

I guess they believe - or affirm - that this stuff must be handled in stages one at a time, but I still think it's idiotic.

tommyjo

This is what I don't like about it ---

The buzz has been, we have more stuff lined up afterward that deals with all your complaints - but we have to pass this FIRST.
And the Republicans have rightly responded - we can't vote on what you MIGHT propose later, we have to vote on what we see NOW.

I guess they believe - or affirm - that this stuff must be handled in stages one at a time, but I still think it's idiotic.

Sounds a lot like the stupidity from before "We have to pass the bill before we can read it" or whatever that quote was...now doesn't it?

Pelosi is Ryan...Ryan is Pelosi...the far left is just as idiotic as the far right...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sounds a lot like the stupidity from before "We have to pass the bill before we can read it" or whatever that quote was...now doesn't it?

Pelosi is Ryan...Ryan is Pelosi...the far left is just as idiotic as the far right...

Pelosi is NOT far left and Ryan is NOT far right. Not even close. The observation here is that both parties are very much alike; BIG gummint. Because that's what we want. :shrug:

Hijinx

Pelosi is NOT far left and Ryan is NOT far right. Not even close. The observation here is that both parties are very much alike; BIG gummint. Because that's what we want. :shrug:

I don't think it';s going to pass. The stupid thing is that it's so bad the Democrats should pass it and blame it on Ryan.