On another note:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who knew that kickstands could be controversial and cause for a flame war?

I'm looking at two bikes, one with a kickstand and one without. The retailer for the no kickstand bike informed me that most high end bicycles do not have a kickstand ("*sniff* you peasant you"). So I did a googler and sure enough, there is strong disagreement on whether or not a bike should have a kickstand. Like, to the point where people were getting pissed and calling each other names.

:lol:

Sorry, bike snobs, I'm a kickstand person. I don't want to lay my bike down on the ground or find something suitable to prop it against. I want to put the kickstand down like nature intended.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I'm looking at two bikes, one with a kickstand and one without. The retailer for the no kickstand bike informed me that most high end bicycles do not have a kickstand ("*sniff* you peasant you"). So I did a googler and sure enough, there is strong disagreement on whether or not a bike should have a kickstand. Like, to the point where people were getting pissed and calling each other names.

Sorry, bike snobs, I'm a kickstand person. I don't want to lay my bike down on the ground or find something suitable to prop it against. I want to put the kickstand down like nature intended.

I want this, no kickstand required.

Attachments

• trike.JPG
    trike.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 361

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Those are cute - little grocery getters. :yay: We see women riding them around the beach towns all the time.

that's what I like about it. It's a more of a working, than recreational vehicle, but it can be used just for cruising. My problem is, when I cruise, I tend to stop and pick things up, and I need a place to put those things. I also like that 'balance' isn't an issue. I'm not 80, but my equilibrium isn't what it used to be.

Gummie

that's what I like about it. It's a more of a working, than recreational vehicle, but it can be used just for cruising. My problem is, when I cruise, I tend to stop and pick things up, and I need a place to put those things. I also like that 'balance' isn't an issue. I'm not 80, but my equilibrium isn't what it used to be.

The SUV of bikes!

Agee

"High-End" bikes tend to be designed with racers in mind with emphasis on aerodynamics and weight. These folks take aero seriously, even to the point of shaving their legs. I'm thinking a kick-stand offers extra weight and aero drag... :shrug:

In the case of mountain bikes, hell they're designed for the rough terrain, water, mud, etc., so who cares about dropping them on the ground...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The bike guy has both of the models I'm interested in. I didn't test drive them today because it started raining, so I'll go in tomorrow morning and take them for a spin.

The bike with no kickstand, he put a kickstand on it already so it would stand up in his showroom, so that is now a moot point.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The bike guy has both of the models I'm interested in. I didn't test drive them today because it started raining, so I'll go in tomorrow morning and take them for a spin.

The bike with no kickstand, he put a kickstand on it already so it would stand up in his showroom, so that is now a moot point.

Make sure you wear your helmet.

Obama Gayboy.jpg

PeoplesElbow

Yea, the whole kickstand thing kills me. I have seen "weight weenies" tell people they need to get that kickstand off their bike, cause you know they would be able to go twice as fast without it, then procede to use a bike with a kickstand to hold up their kickstandless bike.

Another hot topic is the "dork disk"

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:lmao: My bike didn't have one either, so I had to buy one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lmao: My bike didn't have one either, so I had to buy one.

In one of the Reddit threads, a no-kickstand guy asked, "So what are you going to do when the ground is soft and won't support your kickstand?"

Well, Einstein, I'm guessing you'd prop it up or lay it down....just like the no kickstand people *always* have to do.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
if you ride a lot, trail or road, you WILL crash on occasion. ALL my dirt bike buddies who also mountain bike and street cycle, have had nasty, gnarly crashes and pretty much agree they get hurt worse on bicycles than on dirt bikes. Part of it is bicycles are just a lot more dangerous and the other part is gear. Serious dirt bikes don't have kick stands. Trail and endure bikes do because you crash less and they come in handy. A kick stand on a bike you're gonna crash is one more thing to get stabbed by or hung in or both.

For casual riders, motorized or not, kick stands are perfectly fine because you're far less likely to have a serious crash where you'll be interacted with various parts of the bike as you come to a rest. Anyone who sneers about kick stands is a poseur who sorta rides both ways, serious and causal, but likes the appeal of being able to sneer and look down on people rather than explain the pros and cons as a serious rider would.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyone who sneers about kick stands is a poseur who sorta rides both ways, serious and causal, but likes the appeal of being able to sneer and look down on people rather than explain the pros and cons as a serious rider would.

Agree. When bike shopping, I have been clear that I am a casual recreational rider, and my specific interest in a cruiser or townie should give it away if they don't understand big words like "casual" and "recreational". All it is is, "See me being cooler than you?" bull####.