Health is a civil rights issue .....

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sure it is.

How can it NOT be in a modern, liberal western nation??? Decent food, clean water, proper shelter, reasonable education and basic health care. Why not?

noun: civil right
the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality.

Maybe you mean something else besides a defined civil right.

This_person

Sure it is.

How can it NOT be in a modern, liberal western nation??? Decent food, clean water, proper shelter, reasonable education and basic health care. Why not?

Did you see the Boy's thread, the one he's too afraid to let people respond in, of the same name as this thread? With the factually-challenged meme in it?

This_person

No, didn't read it.

Boy posted this:
aclu1.jpg

As you can see, it is filled with inaccuracies (trying to be nice). That's what Gurps was :bs:ing.

This_person

How would you look at clean water? Clean air? As defined civil rights? Something one can have if they can afford it? Richer people get better air and water?

Well, let's just take that clean water part to start....is it a requirement for the government to provide you with clean water? Is it a violation of your civil rights to not have city water pumped to your house, or to pay for it? Is it a violation of your civil rights to have the water you think is clean be drugged by the government?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, let's just take that clean water part to start....is it a requirement for the government to provide you with clean water? Is it a violation of your civil rights to not have city water pumped to your house, or to pay for it? Is it a violation of your civil rights to have the water you think is clean be drugged by the government?

If you started a community today, what's some of the very first things you'd do?

SamSpade

I think it's fair to expect the government ensure that your water isn't contaminated with industrial pollutants or infested with E. Coli or other biological hazards.
It's bull#### however, to expect the government to otherwise provide for you.
Same goes for food - it's fair to expect that health inspectors ensure the food you buy isn't riddled with toxins or is in any way dangerous to you -
but it's ridiculous to expect that the government BUY you your food and stick it in your mouth for you.
I think it's fair that the government should make sure your landlord keeps with his responsibilities to you as a tenant -
but no one should expect the government will pay your rent for you.

And so on.

You are entitled to fair treatment from your health care provider, and your doctor cannot be a total fraud.
But the government's job isn't to pay your bills.

This_person

I think it's fair to expect the government ensure that your water isn't contaminated with industrial pollutants or infested with E. Coli or other biological hazards.
Same goes for food - it's fair to expect that health inspectors ensure the food you buy isn't riddled with toxins or is in any way dangerous to you -
but it's ridiculous to expect that the government BUY you your food and stick it in your mouth for you.
I think it's fair that the government should make sure your landlord keeps with his responsibilities to you as a tenant -

And so on.

You are entitled to fair treatment from your health care provider, and your doctor cannot be a total fraud.

:notworthy Thank you!

Larry Gude

Strung Out

And so on.

I didn't argue it was the gummints job to buy food for you and stick it in your mouth.
Where do you stand on vaccinations?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Is it in the public interest to see to it that kids get regular checks ups, basic medicine, schooling in how to care for themselves, vaccinations? Fed decently? Or just deal with the results later?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Are you asking me what I would choose to do as a city planner, or what I would be required to do as a government entity?

Ah, yes. Pedantic monday.

If you, me, we, were gonna start a little town in ####kicker kansas, middle of nowhere, would we be looking at water and sewer as a societal thing or roll your own?