The 2009 Air Force One Photo Op That Caused Panic in New York City

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" Back in 2009, someone had the bright idea of doing an iconic photo shoot showing Air Force One flying low over New York City. The airplane triggered panic among New Yorkers who thought it was another 9/11-style terrorist attack, causing people to evacuate buildings and run for their lives.

The photo shoot was approved by the director of the White House Military Office at the time, Louis Caldera, to create a new, eye-catching official photo of Air Force One, the name of the airplane carrying the President of the United States.

So at about 10 a.m. on Monday, April 27, 2009, a Boeing VC-25 (a military version of the 747) was flown low into New York City while being trailed by two F-16 fighter jets. It made three passes over the Statue of Liberty, making extremely sharp turns through the air.

The public wasn’t given any advance notice of the photo shoot, and there was a period of hysteria when people began noticing the low-flying airliner. People on the street began screaming and running for cover, and some buildings in NYC immediately issued evacuation orders.

Here are a few videos by bystanders that captured how people reacted: "

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/23/2009-air-force-one-photo-op-caused-panic-new-york-city/

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'll bet you were running circles in your basement holding your head in your hands just watching it on your screen, creaming as well.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Always wondered why they just didnt photoshop it, hell I have seen pictures of military aircraft that I know are photo shopped on the scenery behind them such as Mt Rushmore, the Colorado rockies, the Grand Canyon.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Always wondered why they just didnt photoshop it, hell I have seen pictures of military aircraft that I know are photo shopped on the scenery behind them such as Mt Rushmore, the Colorado rockies, the Grand Canyon.

This was during Obama's reign, right? He wanted the New Yorkers to become accustomed to seeing AF1 over the city. That way, they wouldn't become excited when Mooch used the company jet to go shopping on 5th Avenue.