The GOP’s Obamacare Repeal Bill Is Dead Because Trump Doesn’t Understand How Health Policy Works

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"The House bill to partially repeal and replace Obamacare is officially dead.The bill, which was scheduled for a vote this afternoon, has been pulled from consideration. The move means that GOP's years-long quest to repeal and replace the health care law has failed. For the foreseeable future, at least, Obamacare will stay on the books.
President Trump stumped for the bill aggressively over the last several weeks, and White House Press Secretary said today that the president "left everything on the field when it comes to this bill." But in the end,Trump couldn't make it happen.

The bill was ill-conceived from the start. In part because of the need to follow a special process that would allow the bill to pass with a simple majority in the Senate, it left much of Obamacare's essential structure in place--including insurance regulations, subsidies paid through the tax system for individuals purchasing coverage on the individual market, and a mandatory penalty, assessed by insurers, for those who go without coverage and seek to regain coverage.

The bill would have transformed Medicaid into a per-capita block grant system, but not until the next decade, and in its initial form would have created incentives for states to expand the program. The bill would have resulted in individual insurance premiums rising 15 to 20 percent in the short term, and some 14 million people losing their insurance as of next year, according to the Congressional Budget Office. A final amendment to the bill, released late last night, might have sent the individual market into a complete and immediate meltdown.

The bill failed in part because it could not establish a balance between the concerns of moderate Republicans, particularly with regard to the way it treated the Medicaid expansion, and more conservative members of the House Freedom Caucus, who argued that the bill was too much like Obamacare, retaining its core scheme of subsidies and regulations.

But it also failed because Trump proved himself an ineffective negotiator and dealmaker—one whose preference for shallow political victories over substantive policy wins ultimately proved insufficient in a complex policy negotiation. "

http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/24/the-gops-obamacare-repeal-bill-is-dead-b

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
For now. It was a POS bill anyway. I'm still of the opinion that they should just let Obamacare collapse...and then pick up the pieces. It won't be long..no more than 2 years down the line. Fawk the millions that will be adversely affected...they should have known better.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
trump6.jpg

Toxick

Splat
For now. It was a POS bill anyway. I'm still of the opinion that they should just let Obamacare collapse...and then pick up the pieces. It won't be long..no more than 2 years down the line.

And does anyone think Trump hasn't realized this a while back?

I'm of the opinion that this entire ####show was designed from the beginning - and has gone exactly as planned.

They took the ACA, shifted some garbage over here, swapped out some garbage from over there, and served up a heaping plate of steaming feces and pretended that it was something new and different. It was the same feces with a different garnish.

Fast forward 2 years. Obamacare has come to a head. The health industry is on the brink of collapse, unless it's already imploded under the weight of its own bull#### - people are scared. Democrats are tugging at their collars looking like Rodney Dangerfield popped a molly - a few hundred heads figuratively sitting on chopping blocks on the Hill in DC. Trump stands before America shouting until flecks of spittle are flying off his bottom lip - "Listen to me! Within my first 100 days in office, these Republicans and I had a replacement for Obamacare. But Democrats and RINO's shot it down! They shot it down. They really did. Shot it right down. And now THIS has happened! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS. Chop 'em right off. Into the basket they go. They also blocked my travel bans - I tried to save you. Americans I tried to save you, but they weren't having it. Any of it, even though I tried to do what you hired me to do, they blocked everything."

Zing! Everybody in both chambers, let's move over to the right a little more.... Little more... there we go.

The same people that elected this man, along with agreeable, but as yet silent bystanders - will storm the voting booths in 2018.

Mark my ####ing words. The "failure" today was no failure.

Hijinx

"The House bill to partially repeal and replace Obamacare is officially dead.The bill, which was scheduled for a vote this afternoon, has been pulled from consideration. The move means that GOP's years-long quest to repeal and replace the health care law has failed. For the foreseeable future, at least, Obamacare will stay on the books.
President Trump stumped for the bill aggressively over the last several weeks, and White House Press Secretary said today that the president "left everything on the field when it comes to this bill." But in the end,Trump couldn't make it happen.

The bill was ill-conceived from the start. In part because of the need to follow a special process that would allow the bill to pass with a simple majority in the Senate, it left much of Obamacare's essential structure in place--including insurance regulations, subsidies paid through the tax system for individuals purchasing coverage on the individual market, and a mandatory penalty, assessed by insurers, for those who go without coverage and seek to regain coverage.

The bill would have transformed Medicaid into a per-capita block grant system, but not until the next decade, and in its initial form would have created incentives for states to expand the program. The bill would have resulted in individual insurance premiums rising 15 to 20 percent in the short term, and some 14 million people losing their insurance as of next year, according to the Congressional Budget Office. A final amendment to the bill, released late last night, might have sent the individual market into a complete and immediate meltdown.

The bill failed in part because it could not establish a balance between the concerns of moderate Republicans, particularly with regard to the way it treated the Medicaid expansion, and more conservative members of the House Freedom Caucus, who argued that the bill was too much like Obamacare, retaining its core scheme of subsidies and regulations.

But it also failed because Trump proved himself an ineffective negotiator and dealmaker—one whose preference for shallow political victories over substantive policy wins ultimately proved insufficient in a complex policy negotiation. "

http://reason.com/blog/2017/03/24/the-gops-obamacare-repeal-bill-is-dead-b

Obamacares was so much better conceived.
LMAO

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And does anyone think Trump hasn't realized this a while back?

I'm of the opinion that this entire ####show was designed from the beginning - and has gone exactly as planned.

They took the ACA, shifted some garbage over here, swapped out some garbage from over there, and served up a heaping plate of steaming feces and pretended that it was something new and different. It was the same feces with a different garnish.

Fast forward 2 years. Obamacare has come to a head. The health industry is on the brink of collapse, unless it's already imploded under the weight of its own bull#### - people are scared. Democrats are tugging at their collars looking like Rodney Dangerfield popped a molly - a few hundred heads figuratively sitting on chopping blocks on the Hill in DC. Trump stands before America shouting until flecks of spittle are flying off his bottom lip - "Listen to me! Within my first 100 days in office, these Republicans and I had a replacement for Obamacare. But Democrats and RINO's shot it down! They shot it down. They really did. Shot it right down. And now THIS has happened! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS. Chop 'em right off. Into the basket they go. They also blocked my travel bans - I tried to save you. Americans I tried to save you, but they weren't having it. Any of it, even though I tried to do what you hired me to do, they blocked everything."

Zing! Everybody in both chambers, let's move over to the right a little more.... Little more... there we go.

The same people that elected this man, along with agreeable, but as yet silent bystanders - will storm the voting booths in 2018.

Mark my ####ing words. The "failure" today was no failure.

Exactly. And a nuance that slugs like bongboy could never begin to understand.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The bill was ill-conceived from the start.

On this we can agree.

I'm curious, though, why Trump is being blamed for the legislative branch having a meltdown? Paul Ryan is the leader in the House of Representatives, not The Donald.

Do I need to post this again? Because I will.

I have to believe that Ryan intentionally tanked this bill simply because he's jealous and being petty toward Trump and wanted to hand him a "failure", because apparently after 8 years of Obama wearing all the government hats, Paulie forgot that "legislative branch" is him and his cohorts in the House and Senate.

Presidents don't make laws except through Executive Order, people. Stop being ignorant or I'm going to call your 3rd grade teacher and inform her that you weren't paying attention in class and request that she switch you.

switch.jpg