Timothy Caughman’s Murder Was a Lynching

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" A man was lynched this week.

Timothy Caughman, 66, was a former social worker who, in his retirement years, had taken to recycling to keep busy and help pay for his apartment, a room in a building for people transitioning from homelessness to permanent housing (a longtime tenant, he was not homeless himself). Caughman was black, which made him a target for his professed killer, James Harris Jackson, 28, of Baltimore.

By his own account, Jackson hated black men. “I’ve hated black men since I was a kid. I’ve had these feelings since I was a young person. I hate black men,” he reportedly told police. And armed with a sword and several knives, he traveled to New York City to kill them. On Monday, according to a police account from the New York Times, Jackson confronted Caughman—who was sifting through trash for recyclables—and stabbed him. He then tossed his sword in a nearby garbage can and went to a restaurant restroom to wash away the blood.

There’s nothing ambiguous here. Jackson says he targeted a black man for death to make a statement about the kind of society he wants to have. Once finished with his task, he turned himself into police.

Prosecutors say this was a hate crime and “most likely an act of terrorism.” We should also think of it as a lynching, the latest episode in an American form of racial violence that stretches back to the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century. Jackson’s professed crime has all the hallmarks of the lynchings that scarred the American landscape from the close of the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century to middle of the 20[SUP]th[/SUP]. This isn’t a semantic point. To describe this attack as a lynching is to emphasize the reality of anti-black violence, its persistence through time, and the way in which it’s justified. "

Read more here: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/03/timothy_caughman_s_murder_was_a_lynching_in_trump_s_america.html

black dog

Free America
It's funny you post about one stupid racist white guy when 93 percent of black homicide victims are killed by other blacks.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
" A man was lynched this week.

Timothy Caughman, 66, was a former social worker who, in his retirement years, had taken to recycling to keep busy and help pay for his apartment, a room in a building for people transitioning from homelessness to permanent housing (a longtime tenant, he was not homeless himself). Caughman was black, which made him a target for his professed killer, James Harris Jackson, 28, of Baltimore.

By his own account, Jackson hated black men. “I’ve hated black men since I was a kid. I’ve had these feelings since I was a young person. I hate black men,” he reportedly told police. And armed with a sword and several knives, he traveled to New York City to kill them. On Monday, according to a police account from the New York Times, Jackson confronted Caughman—who was sifting through trash for recyclables—and stabbed him. He then tossed his sword in a nearby garbage can and went to a restaurant restroom to wash away the blood.

There’s nothing ambiguous here. Jackson says he targeted a black man for death to make a statement about the kind of society he wants to have. Once finished with his task, he turned himself into police.

Prosecutors say this was a hate crime and “most likely an act of terrorism.” We should also think of it as a lynching, the latest episode in an American form of racial violence that stretches back to the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century. Jackson’s professed crime has all the hallmarks of the lynchings that scarred the American landscape from the close of the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century to middle of the 20[SUP]th[/SUP]. This isn’t a semantic point. To describe this attack as a lynching is to emphasize the reality of anti-black violence, its persistence through time, and the way in which it’s justified. "

Read more here: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/03/timothy_caughman_s_murder_was_a_lynching_in_trump_s_america.html

Sure he was "lynched" except the generally means hung and always means by mob violence. Except for that your 100% spot on.

PeoplesElbow

It wasn't terror either because after it was done he turned himself in. If he said there were more like him going to do the same that might qualify though.

It was simply a race targeted murder. Any murder is the ultimate disgusting act for whatever reason. Trying to qualify it as anything else though is simply trying to get white people to feel bad for being white or to incite racial tensions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is it that when a white person kills a black person because he hates black people, that's a lynching; but when a black person kills a white person because he hates white people, that's not a lynching?

Hijinx

Why is it that when a white person kills a black person because he hates black people, that's a lynching; but when a black person kills a white person because he hates white people, that's not a lynching?

One crazy MFer he is in jail and will probably not cause any more harm.
Of curse that does not in any way make this murder any less horrific.

Mixone

Because boy is an angry black man...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
There's no political hay to be made from it.