Explorer vs. Escape

SamSpade

I am thinking about getting another car, and I have been driving my Dad's (old and used) Explorer since his death.
Generally, I like it, but it is old and I am tired of minor repairs on a car that is older than any two of my kids.

What is the *practical* difference between the Explorer and the Escape? They appear to have nearly the same size,
but they typically differ greatly in price, and it suggests there's more to the Explorer than the Escape.

Mainly I commute and drive my kids around. That's about it. I don't need more, so if the Escape does it, that's fine.

SamSpade

Never owned either. Little I know, explorer is a good bit roomier. Uses more gas.

That was my first - "guess". I'm a big guy, and I am used to trucks and SUV's that are roomy. My dad's car is quite comfortable.
Moreover, the kids fit easily in the second row, and the back area is always down to carry stuff.
Actually, usually it's trash bags, since I don't do pick up at the house. My best friend used to drive an Explorer and he used one
of those things you attach to the back to carry trash and stuff.

Grumpy

I've had an Escape(15 yrs ago), Edge and now on 2nd explorer. As for driving, I liked the Escape the best because it's smaller and I prefer smaller cars. And you're right, there is a huge difference price-wise. The Escape I bought new, the Edge and the 2 Explorers I bought used with very low mileage (less than 5k). No mechanical problems with any of the vehicles. Wife is/was primary driver on all of these. Wife loves the Explorer we have now and really liked the Edge we had for the 3 years previous. Only reason we got rid of the Edge was we got a ridiculous deal on the Explorer (son works for Ford). The Edge and 2 Explorers drove more like trucks, I was more comfortable driving the Escape, tho that was a few years ago.

stew77

We have a 2013 Escape Titanium, with all the bell and whistles and I love it. Handles, great, rides smooth, and we can haul a bunch, with the back seat down. It gets great gas mileage to and from MB, and we like . The only drawback is that there are no "cubbies" to put stuff, and only two Drink holders that are accessable from the drivers/passenger side. We would buy another one of these..

lucky_bee

RBF expert
That was my first - "guess". I'm a big guy, and I am used to trucks and SUV's that are roomy. My dad's car is quite comfortable.
Moreover, the kids fit easily in the second row, and the back area is always down to carry stuff.
Actually, usually it's trash bags, since I don't do pick up at the house. My best friend used to drive an Explorer and he used one
of those things you attach to the back to carry trash and stuff.

I drove a 2008 escape for about 5 years - loved that thing until unfortunately the transmission died on me and since I had over 200K miles on it, it wasn't worth replacing. It was the perfect sporty little SUV. Fit all my friends plus our weekend getaway bags but also helped me move from CT to MD. To me it was specious enough (I'm 5'0"). I'm not a fan of the newer Escapes, but I've been inside them and I think only the gadgets and the body style have really changed. It still "felt" the same while driving. It didn't have any special packaging so it was fairly basic but it got me around and was pretty decent on gas (think it was avg 23-25 mpg?) and was even awesome in the CT winters. The newer ones are probably even better but they just look like large cars to me, wasn't a fan.

Just two months ago I traded in my GMC Terrain for a 2014 Explorer. I ####ing love this thing. We originally planned on waiting to get one for another 2 years or so but I had to dump my terrain asap so it happened lol. I would've gone for an Edge or some Jeep but honestly we needed the optional 3rd row seating for future children and my guy is of similar build to you Sam - super tall and large guy 6'4" 275-290lbs. He did NOT fit in my terrain :lol: and I could never see him fitting in much *comfortably* smaller. So we needed the next car to be fit for the whole family even though I drive it around town solo 85% if the time. His Diesel F-350 was too much for the little family trips lol He got to drive a 2016 one last year for about a month, from PAXR to Jacksonville and that's what turned us on to them. He loved it and used to own a GMC Acadia and preferred the Explorer ten-fold.

I could go on and on about my 2014 Explorer Limited. It has everything I ever wanted and then some stuff I haven't even had time to play with. It definitely drives more like a truck but since I prefer SUVs and trucks and only drove small SUVs previously bc of little budgets, I'm not bothered by this at all. I love that I have a hugeee trunk area for god-knows-what and instead of a 2nd and 3rd row bench, I have captains chairs so it actually only sits 6 but that's all I need. His kids are older so we all prefer the chairs vs. bench anyways. I average about 18-20 mpg.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Escape is smaller - like a RAV4

2016 Version of the Ford Escape

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=2016+Ford+Escape&FORM=HDRSC2
Just my experience with one: They have the Eco-boost engines in them, so they do have at least a little git-up-and-go. So, if you're used to driving something with cubic inches under the hood, you will either be surprised or disappointed; but they are enough vehicle to drive, around here. If you only have a need for a grocery getter and a family car, you might find it suitable. Just keep in mind; a pickup, it is not.

PeoplesElbow

If it is the same as it use to be the Explorer is body on frame like a truck and the escape is unibody construction. Unibody construction is good for a car like ride, handling etc, but not so easy to fix up yourself if you wreck it etc.

m7lukas

Here's a good comparison between the Escape and Explorer- truedelta.com/Ford-Escape-vs-Ford-Explorer-specs-comparison,82-85.

kalmd

I have a 2014 Escape. I love everything about it except the lack of console storage space. Like mentioned above, there are 2 drink holders and that's about it. The center console storage is small, it's deep and not very wide so you have to dig in there to find anything. I do like all the plugs/usb ports that are available. Also, there is no separate rear climate control. My Dodge Journey that I had previously had that feature and they're about the same size vehicle. It's a good vehicle if you want an SUV that drives/feels more like a car. When mine is paid off I will probably trade it in for an Explorer. I really like the look of the new ones.